Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 09-04-2006, 02:26 AM
ZexisStryfe
Fire Beetle

Question Changing class/deity names

Hi all! A Few days ago I heard about the EQEmu project and I have pretty much jumped in and am trying to create a custom server. What I would like to do is change the names of the EQ classes and the Deities in the game. I tried changing the names of the classes in the database, but that doesn't seem to effect the class displayed in the inventory window. I am curious if this is even possible to change this, and if so, how would i go about doing it?

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 09-04-2006, 05:18 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

You know c++? Got a compiler handy? Check out the source code. I'm sure that's where many changes would have to be made - and I mean many. I wouldn't expect support from EQEmu dev team on that kind of customization, either, since their goal is to make the emulator "live-like". But, it's open source, you're free to experiment.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:29 AM
Cripp
Discordant

class / diety names are hard coded into the client and cant be changed

www.nugblazers.com
Old 09-14-2006, 05:30 AM
ZexisStryfe
Fire Beetle

Default an update...

Alright,

Just so people know, the class/deity names are not hardcoded, but are instead located within the eqstr_us.txt file in your titanium install directory. (not eqstr_en.txt, that file seems to no longer be used.) Editing this file is relatively easy, however you cannot do it in notepad as that program seems to change the format of the file so it can't be read by EQ. Instead use a string editor, or even the edit command in a windows DOS prompt works.

My discovery of this fact has raised a new question for me however. I am now having an issue with changing zone names. For instance, the Lavastorm Mountains are going to become The Blasted Lands. in eqstr_us.txt I change all instances of lavastorm mountains to "The Blasted Lands". Then, in Mysql Command Center, I go into the zone table and change the lavastorm longname to "The Blasted Lands". After restarting eqemu and going into the game, when i zone into lavastorm, i still get "Entering Lavastorm Mountains..." when i zone. The only visible chang ei actually see is after zoning it saying "You have entered the Blasted Lands." in the chat box. I know it is possible to change this, I have seen it in Shards of Dalaya ('Lair of Terris Thule' became 'The Dream') and in Scars of Nalgora. I have even chatted with Swish from Nalgora and he has helped me a tad, but this final step seems to escape me...
anyone have any ideas?
Old 09-18-2006, 07:15 AM
ZexisStryfe
Fire Beetle

This makes no sense! I change the name of a zone in the eqstr_us.txt file in my Shards of Dalaya directory and connect to their server, lo and behold the name changes... I do it in my titanium directory (which i use only for my developing) and it doesn't work! I can change races, titles, classes, etc... just not zone names! I have tried 2 reinstallations (one ot a different partition) and a change of databases... nothing works. Is it possible Titanium pulls those names from someplace outside the eqstr_us.txt file?

I really need help with this guys... any suggestions will help.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:00 AM
ZexisStryfe
Fire Beetle

Default Continued testing... fruitless.

Okay... I have continued testing this... installing EQ to various computers around my house, and no matter what computer it is, the zone name change will not take on any PC. Can someone else please try this with the titanium install and see if they have any better luck?

PS- is it possible that the EQEMU client could be preventing the string change from taking effect?
Old 09-29-2006, 08:10 AM
rojadruid
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZexisStryfe
Okay... I have continued testing this... installing EQ to various computers around my house, and no matter what computer it is, the zone name change will not take on any PC. Can someone else please try this with the titanium install and see if they have any better luck?

PS- is it possible that the EQEMU client could be preventing the string change from taking effect?
the zone names them selves if memory serves me right are coded into the zone files themselves.

Innoruuk Server [legit]
Server Admin.
Server Status: UP
Old 09-29-2006, 08:15 AM
ZexisStryfe
Fire Beetle

What's really odd is that with my eq installation for Shards of Dalaya, which uses an older version of EQEmu, i can edit my eqstr_us.txt file and change the zone names. That is why I am curious if the new EQEmu could possibly be blocking this somehow.

Since I am looking to create a highly customized legit server based on a D&D campaign setting I created, this zone name thing is becoming a big stick in the mud...

Last edited by ZexisStryfe; 09-29-2006 at 04:19 PM..
Old 07-18-2012, 11:40 PM
GLGanjika
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZexisStryfe View Post
This makes no sense! I change the name of a zone in the eqstr_us.txt file in my Shards of Dalaya directory and connect to their server, lo and behold the name changes... I do it in my titanium directory (which i use only for my developing) and it doesn't work! I can change races, titles, classes, etc... just not zone names! I have tried 2 reinstallations (one ot a different partition) and a change of databases... nothing works. Is it possible Titanium pulls those names from someplace outside the eqstr_us.txt file?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZexisStryfe View Post
What's really odd is that with my eq installation for Shards of Dalaya, which uses an older version of EQEmu, i can edit my eqstr_us.txt file and change the zone names. That is why I am curious if the new EQEmu could possibly be blocking this somehow.

I know the OP is an old post but I have been having the exact same issues as the posts quoted above in terms of changing zone names, Am i forgetting to do something?