Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Feature Requests

Development::Feature Requests Post suggestions/feature requests here.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:32 PM
sunbeam
Sarnak

Default User request regarding SOD client

Hey, I am only a user but I have a request concerning the SOD client, to the best of my understanding of the issues.

I understand Highpass isn't accessible to those who use SOD or SOF clients.

Here is a one post thread where someone discusses using a dll injector to inject a custom dll (which you have to compile) into eqgame.exe.

http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32909

I don't know anything about making a windows dll. I could probably swing using an injector with instructions, but it seems like the fellow is writing for people who already know how to use these things.

My understanding is that once the change has been made to eqgame.exe, it will work for any SOD client right? If so, could someone post the binary so I can copy into my directory? It's possible I could do this on my own, but I would have to find some IDE to make a win32.dll project in C++, then find and learn how to use an injector.

Also I understand the graphics will still be messed up in Highpass, in a manner similar to Oasis and Freeport.

Would it be possible for someone to put up fixed chr files to download as well?

I can easily use notepad to make the changes once I know what they are, but at this point I could just as easily download files already corrected.

I hope this doesn't seem like an imposition, but it does affect a number of people.

The only reason I have to go to Highpass is to do the Ghoulbane (sword of nobility quest). I refuse to kill a fellow paladin, but I still want Ghoulbane.

If anyone can help, I would appreciate it.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:14 PM
GLGanjika
Hill Giant

I am reading about different clients and I too would like to hear some information and/or discussion about this issue.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:18 PM
chrsschb
Dragon

Did I miss something somewhere? I don't have any issues with Highpass, Oasis, or Freeport using SoD or UF...
Old 07-06-2012, 08:41 PM
Caryatis
Dragon

Quote:
I understand Highpass isn't accessible to those who use SOD or SOF clients.
So you heard some idiot yapping in ooc one day and instead of seeing if your particular client worked, you just took his word and then made an incredibly rambling post(seriously that link to Secrets post has nothing to do with your alleged issue) and Im going to assume have waited almost 3 weeks for an answer(please god let that be true lol).
Old 07-19-2012, 06:01 AM
KLS
Administrator

Not sure why you got shit on so hard since your question was pretty apt (he's right there's no zone 5 in SoD) and you realized a way that could possibly remedy it. but...

This is probably far more complicated than you're really ready for based on your question, it is possible though.

The client zone init code is a little bit more involved to hook than the logging code that secrets showed there because the hooked code and the function calling the hooked code makes heavily interweaved use of the ESI register(it's copying blocks of memory with it) so you have to make sure anything you do with the hook isn't screwing with that (you're looking at some direct x86 assembly to be able to do it without crashing the game as a lot of stuff messes with ESI and you have to preserve the register).

However there is a version of highpass for the newer clients that I know servers that use highpass and newer clients generally support.

It is also possible to replace the zone with another zone. Eg: if you rename highpass.s3d to nektropos.s3d (and other associated files similarly) and replace all references to zone 5 with zone 28 you will be able to zone into highpass (this might be possible with highpasshold too but I haven't tried it (distribution problems though since everyone who plays on your server has to do the same).

It is also possible to hex edit the client to replace a zone like nektropos with highpass (also distribution problems here).