Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:13 AM
GLGanjika
Hill Giant

Question What are folks using for ADDING zones to client?

What exactly are folks using to -add- zones to the client? Not to create zones but to add new zones to client altogether - Is anyone using zoneproxy anymore and/or is there a better alternative to zoneproxy? Upon starting Zoneproxy (with eqemu 0.8.0) it creates some files but doesn't actually function beyond creating the files and then deleting them after turning it off. Trying to zone to the new zone itself doesn't do anything and trying to zone to the alias zone crashes the client and closes it out. Thanks for reading, all feedback is appreciated.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:37 AM
Caryatis
Dragon

I dont think there is a single server with custom zone geometry and models.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:48 AM
Akkadius
Administrator

Back when I was eager to customize everything about EQ, it became apparent that I do not want to be messing with client files based on the fact that most servers that have modified zones for their server have had some sort of legal action or notice taken against them.

Sure text files and configuration files no problem, but I guess that is where the line is drawn.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:21 PM
jdoran
Hill Giant

I would think it would be OK as a research project, as long as no files are distributed outside of your organization. That limits the usefulness, but could still be useful in some cases. The idea behind Zoneproxy seems simple enough, it might not take much to get it working again. The bigger issue for most people would be that the zone names are hard coded in the client. There are some things one can do there, which I imagine would really torque off SOE.