Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 02-16-2015, 02:07 PM
jaredwhamilton
Fire Beetle

Default Spare Servers and Good Connection

Hello everyone!

This is my first post here. I have been doing some digging and came across this forum. I used to play Everquest quite some time ago and always wanted to run a server, but at that time I do not think it was possible. Clearly a lot of that has changed..

The reason I am posting is because I have many spare servers laying around and I have nothing to do with them. I also have a business class 50MB fiber connection that I am able to use.

My question is, is there any reason to load my servers up and get them ready for Everquest? Is there a lot of demand for new servers? I do not know much about this community, so I thought I would just throw the question out there.

If it helps, I hosted multiple Minecraft servers in the past, which is where these servers come from. I am an IT guy by profession, so I understand what is involved to make this work.

Let me know your thoughts!

- Jared
Old 02-16-2015, 02:13 PM
Kingly_Krab
Administrator

I feel like it would be awesome, I'm not sure of your asking price, or if there is one, but a fiber connection is better than a lot of the hosting many servers have, I'm sure they'd be able to foot the bill for something like that (if necessary). Akkadius is the only other big hosting, I'm not sure of his specs, but it's obviously good, as many people use him. I think people would like this.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:27 PM
jaredwhamilton
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingly_Krab View Post
I feel like it would be awesome, I'm not sure of your asking price, or if there is one, but a fiber connection is better than a lot of the hosting many servers have, I'm sure they'd be able to foot the bill for something like that (if necessary). Akkadius is the only other big hosting, I'm not sure of his specs, but it's obviously good, as many people use him. I think people would like this.
Thanks for the reply.

Just for the record, I'm not looking to start an EQ hosting service or anything like that. I'm considering building what could be a large scale server farm for an EQ server (still doing some reading on all of this). From what I gather, the requirements are slim for hosting the server, so I think my 3 servers below would make for a pretty big server to start with. I have additional hardware as well, these are just the heavier of the bunch.

I'm not experienced with EQ Server hosting specifically, so I'd be looking for some assistance or help from folks that may want to go in together to get a large server up and running.

I have 3 servers that are similar in specifications, the disks are different, but that's something that can be changed at any time (probably purchase SSD's if necessary).

2 x 2.5Ghz Intel Xeon Processors

1 server has 24GB of RAM, another with 8GB of RAM and the last one with 12GB (I think, I'd have to check).
Old 02-16-2015, 03:01 PM
Kingly_Krab
Administrator

Yeah, it's not very memory intensive, your setup is definitely fine.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:47 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

http://wiki.eqemulator.org/p?Tuning_...mance&frm=Main
Old 02-19-2015, 09:50 AM
chrsschb
Dragon

Save for maybe 2-3 servers, no one even needs a server cluster or mega server. A single core, single hdd, 2-4GB ram machine will run pretty much any server that exists right now. You can handle around 40 people reliably with 1 Mbps bandwidth.

Your best bet if you want to help out is to do like Akkadius and offer hosting for people.

It's really not very intensive.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:30 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

It's getting more and more lean as we do complete overhauls of inefficient systems.