Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::Development > Archive::Development

Archive::Development Archive area for Development's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 09-18-2004, 01:48 AM
lordnoob
Sarnak

Default is it impossible?

"Creating a completely new class from scratch is impossible due to client limitations. A current class would have to be over-written, and even then the race/spellbar restrictions would still apply."

from Dujek Winter Roar forums

Is it really completly, no chance, never gonna happen impossible?
Old 09-18-2004, 01:59 AM
killspree
Dragon

Yes. Trust me, I've tried.
Old 09-18-2004, 03:07 AM
Raddiux
Sarnak

Your best hope will be using the OpenEQ client - whenever thats done. Then you can do anything you want to EQ. Hell, you could make a whole new game with it if you wanted.
Old 09-18-2004, 10:27 AM
monalin crusader
Hill Giant

Basicaly you can rewrite a new class to a certian point. For instance you could give a new skill to rogues or soemthing, but in the process you would get rid of an affect like backstab and change it to a different effect, the name would be the same for the most part because all of that is client side. Far as textures go goodluck, we've barly figured out how to add weapons, and only one server can do that so far.
Old 09-18-2004, 11:29 AM
KhaN
Dragon

Quote:
"Creating a completely new class from scratch is impossible due to client limitations. A current class would have to be over-written, and even then the race/spellbar restrictions would still apply."
Client limit a few things, but there are always ways to bypass them, creating new class from scratch is totally possible with custom skills, spellbar, spell, you arent limited by client. The only limitation of client that cannot be bypassed (but you can still make an ingame character creation process) is during the character creation process, but other than that, you can make 70 class for your server if you want, its possible, but require talented C++ coders.

Old 09-18-2004, 11:31 AM
daeken_bb
Discordant

Hmm... this just sparked an idea for me. Eventually I'd like to have it so the server sends a list of races, classes, etc for character creation to the client so everything can be customized

Of course, that's faaaaaar in the future lol

Check out my deviantART page at http://daeken.deviantart.com/
Old 09-18-2004, 01:29 PM
killspree
Dragon

Every time I've attempted to code a brand new class(not using existing class numbers), the client does not recognize it at all. The classes are pretty much hardcoded into the client, and anything other than what the client knows is returned as Unknown.

Obviously there are ways serverside to create multiple copies of a specific class and give them varrying abilities that are limited to that class with serverside checks, but as for the client...they would all be recognized as the same class(different variations of that class, that is). If I'm wrong, please correct me, but every attempt I've made has been unsuccessful in creating a new class from scratch(where the client recognizes it as that class).
Old 09-18-2004, 02:15 PM
Cutter
Sarnak

what is the status of open EQ and how can or what can we do to help out.. *pulls out credit card*
Old 09-18-2004, 04:32 PM
daeken_bb
Discordant

Current status of OpenEQ is that we're working on getting full support for the new Omens Of War files, complete with octree generation, culling, and collision detection. I have been working pretty much non-stop on getting all of this to work very smoothly, and I'm having a decent degree of success.

If you'd like to help, there are quite a few ways. The first and probably most important is by developing on it... however, in its current state, there's very little to do without stepping on other people's toes due to the very small code base. That will change once we get into networking support. At that point there will be plenty of code to work on, and plenty of testing to be done, so testing will be a priority at or above coding. The third major way of helping out is by donating.

Because of the nature of the project, we don't really have many expenses, so any donations would most likely be used to pay back 'investments' (the purchase of our new domain openeq.org would take priority for example) and then split among active developers. I'm the primary developer (GXTi, farce, and Doodman have all helped out majorly especially with figuring different things out) right now, and even though I don't have bills to pay and mouths to feed (being a highschooler has its advantages) it'd be nice to have some spending money from time to time haha.

That said, even just coming in the channel (#freaku on irc.freenode.net) from time to time and saying thanks to the devs would be appreciated by myself and the others.

Hopefully we'll get enough from donations and advertising that we'll at least break even on expenses (domains and caffiene being the primary ones haha) and the devs won't have to put much forward other than code.

Happy Hacking,
Lord Daeken M. BlackBlade
(Cody Brocious)

Check out my deviantART page at http://daeken.deviantart.com/