Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Feature Requests

Development::Feature Requests Post suggestions/feature requests here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-05-2009, 06:45 PM
gaeorn
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Sorry, this is the Feature Request forum after all, so that's why I posted here about it, thinking it could be changed. I just didn't understand why it couldn't be changed to pass commands back and forth.
Even if that were done, how does the chat server know when it's a command rather than just more chat? We would still have to have a special character at the beginning of the chat text for it to recognize. Since that is true, how is it an advantage using the chat server rather than say? Say goes directly to the process that executes the commands. Regardless of where the command gets sent, it has to be identified as a command. The # sign is what does that under the current system. As realityincarnate said, you can change the character used to some other character, but in any case, you would always have to type at least two characters. One for the EQ shortcut to say or chat and the other to identify the text as a command.

Given that there is no advantage to using the chat server, why would a developer want to invest the time to get interprocess communication going between the chat server and the zone process? Add to that the chat server may or may not be on the same machine as the zone process and it gets to be a bit of work.

I hope I didn't offend with this post. I simply wanted to explain why your insistence could be frustrating since there was no advantage to what you were asking for. It isn't that it couldn't be changed. It's that there is no advantage gained by doing so.