Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 10-18-2014, 02:22 AM
samaus31
Fire Beetle

Default Server editing?

So I downloaded the server repack and made my own server easy. I can get on and play no problem. The only problem is I have no idea what im doing in terms of being able to edit the server files...such as increase the amounts of zones as it tells you to do on the server repack wiki page. I was able to rename my server name but that is the extent of my abilities at the moment. Any suggestions? I have looked through this forum for insight but not really finding an answer.
Thanks!
Old 10-18-2014, 02:24 AM
ghanja
Dragon

http://wiki.eqemulator.org/i?M=Wiki
Old 10-18-2014, 02:31 AM
samaus31
Fire Beetle

Ive been on that page. Am I missing something?
Old 10-18-2014, 03:11 AM
ghanja
Dragon

launcher_zones table in your DB (PEQ)

http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/sho...91&postcount=5

That should get you started.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:39 AM
samaus31
Fire Beetle

ok..found the folder PEQ with all the files but cannot open them at all? Do I need to search this in my cmd prompt in mariadb mysql? If so it asks for a password everytime?
Old 10-18-2014, 04:22 AM
vsab
Discordant

In general customising the server is a massive subject. Most things that you might want to alter (experience rates) are done so by editing the database tables, very little is done with actual files.

I would recommend downloading either HeidiSQL or Navicat to make it easy to see and edit your database, and a little research on databases in general if you're not familiar with them won't go amiss. The following link shows some of the things you can go onto and edit:-

http://wiki.eqemulator.org/p?Server_Rules&frm=Main
Old 10-18-2014, 07:57 AM
samaus31
Fire Beetle

I really appreciate all the answers so far! I am a very big newbie to anything with in this subject as you guys already know! I am just wondering how to start heidisql? The repack already installs the program for you and in my mariadb in program files I have the mysql client and a cmd prompt for mariadb. Both of those are command prompts but with different names. When I choose the one labeled mysql it opens up a cmd prompt window asking for a password, ive tried admin, password, pass, yes, no etc but it keeps giving me an error. Is this the route I am supposed to go? I am sorry if this is terribly obvious to some.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:31 AM
chrsschb
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaus31 View Post
I really appreciate all the answers so far! I am a very big newbie to anything with in this subject as you guys already know! I am just wondering how to start heidisql? The repack already installs the program for you and in my mariadb in program files I have the mysql client and a cmd prompt for mariadb. Both of those are command prompts but with different names. When I choose the one labeled mysql it opens up a cmd prompt window asking for a password, ive tried admin, password, pass, yes, no etc but it keeps giving me an error. Is this the route I am supposed to go? I am sorry if this is terribly obvious to some.
HeidiSQL comes with the repack and should be on your desktop. The password for your database is inside the eqemu_config.xml file. So is the username and database name.

If you're completely new to editing server files, databases, etc I highly recommend dissecting the wiki and making liberal use of the search function (make sure to set your scope to further than the past month).

While lots of people are willing to help sometimes it takes a little bit to get an answer.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:35 PM
jdoran
Hill Giant

Before you get started, learn how to backup and restore your database. You will make mistakes during your learning process. You do not want some unknown change to break things, and then be unable to undo it.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:59 PM
ghanja
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoran View Post
Before you get started, learn how to backup and restore your database. You will make mistakes during your learning process. You do not want some unknown change to break things, and then be unable to undo it.
Good sound advice here and from chrsschb. There is a batch file among the start and stop server, which will backup the database. Restoration on the other hand is another subject, but, one that you'll want to familiarize yourself with before any big modifications take place (have it down pat).

As vsab mentioned, modifying a server can (is usually) a fairly big undertaking. While the community is helpful, certainly, you'll want to demonstrate you've done the best you could in teaching yourself. Though, the catch 22 to that is, the amount of information can seem overwhelming at least initially, until you ease on it the process.

If you go in this with the firm understanding that you will not know everything overnight and that it may very well take you days, weeks or months to understand even just the basics (some learn faster than others, some have more TIME than others, etc, etc.) you'll be fine. Try to avoid burn out, set a goal of what you want and when you would like it to happen. Even seasoned server operators can easily take at least a few weeks, normally a couple months to get things to an alpha stage.

I was on my way out the door, otherwise I would have given a bit more time to respond, though I didn't want you to hang entirely, "short" answer. That said, let us know your higher priority desires after you've skimmed over everything and I assure you, someone will eventually come along and assist you. There are some very fine members here that are knowledgeable and extremely helpful, you've already seen perhaps 2% of those that are very active and helpful. Keep with it.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:52 PM
samaus31
Fire Beetle

Thanks guys! Just a few questions. I was able to enable GM powers on my one account, and is there a way to turn that back to regular account instead of the 250? Also, I can finally get into the sql and im trying to enable mercenaries but I cannot find the mercs.sql file anywhere according to the walkthrough on the wiki page. I am trying to keep this server as original as possible except for the loss of exp at death and keep inventory/items when you die. Anyways, any suggestion on the mercenary thing?

Thanks!
Old 10-20-2014, 04:57 PM
samaus31
Fire Beetle

oops..nm I might have figured it out.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:00 PM
ghanja
Dragon

Quote:
Thanks guys! Just a few questions. I was able to enable GM powers on my one account, and is there a way to turn that back to regular account instead of the 250? Also, I can finally get into the sql and im trying to enable mercenaries but I cannot find the mercs.sql file anywhere according to the walkthrough on the wiki page. I am trying to keep this server as original as possible except for the loss of exp at death and keep inventory/items when you die. Anyways, any suggestion on the mercenary thing?

Thanks!
The 250 account access level doesn't dictate whether or not you are a GM. The #gm command does. However, access to the #gm command is found amongst the others in the 'commands' table.

For instance, when I instructed you to change the 'access' level for your account to 250, you met/exceeded the requirements to perform any and all commands in the 'commands' tables' with an access set for 250 or LESS.

A setting of 255 is the maximum (as the variable/field 'access' is saved as a byte -- or at least used to be), just fyi.

If you're asking for the purpose of poking around and having NPC's interact with you as a player, just lose the GM flag with the #gm off

If you're asking because you don't want others to be able to perform the #gm let alone other functions, then you'll want to visit the 'commands' table.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:01 PM
ghanja
Dragon

Quote:
oops..nm I might have figured it out.

Well tough, because I already typed my reply. :p