Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Database/World Building

Development::Database/World Building World Building forum, dedicated to the EQEmu MySQL Database. Post partial/complete databases for spawns, items, etc.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:56 PM
Fridgecritter
Hill Giant

Default Have an idea for CTF

I have had this idea for a while, but can't get the final details worked out. Here is the summary:

Capture the flag: Event NPCs that spawn every day at a certain time (or 4 times a day, etc...) and Shout2 to the server that the event is beginning. You zone into the event, and you are put on a team (NPC will pick team 1 for first, 2 for second, 1 for 3rd, etc.)

OR if that's not possible, then a GM can run it, and assign teams to every other player in the same fashion, but you can still use an NPC to port the players into the CTF map. Maybe even choose what team you want to be at the NPC, and the NPC will port you to the correct side of the map according to what team you choose. GMs can then balance the teams if need be.

Teams based on race, and I'll get to why in a minute... But the important part is, there is an NPC waiting as you zone in, and you are in a closed room on your team's side of the map (base). You have to hail the NPC there, and he will change your race to gnoll or frog based on what side you are on (or whatever races you choose for your server).

Now, you can't leave that room until you hail the NPC because in addition to changing your race, he gives you a key to the door (temporary, poofs on death) doesnt matter at that point because you dont need to get back into that room when the event is under way, the flag is not in there. This way people don't start the event without changing races. Then you can go out to the next room which is the ready room. When the GM (or NPC if possible) starts the event, the doors open and both teams may start.

When you get to the other side of the map in the opposing team's base, there is an object there that you click on to get the flag (or NPC, whichever is easier for perl checks) It checks for the following things:

1. There is not a flag already checked out, or you don't already have a flag (prevents people from getting 10 flags and turning them in) or just make them lore if you use an item for the flag... get to that in a minute.

2. You're race is the opposite team's race (thinking gotta pick races that enchanters can't illusion into) Keeps players from taking their own flag and hording it. That's where the changing people's races comes into play. This way with a small population such as Emu, you can still fill up the teams.

For the map, you custom make a map in a quake III editor so you don't have to worry about copyrighted maps, and convert it using openzone, then add your doors and NPCs, objects. You can even put in triggers like areas that check proximity and check if the player has the flag, then shout to the zone where they are on their way to their own base.

OR, you could use an existing map such as GukH that is not being used, and already has long corridors and a map that looks like you could have a base at the north end, and one at the south end. You could even block off other areas and make it so the map tells on the player in the zone if they try and go off down an alley and hide. This way, your players would not have to download any new map files.

When the player gets to the other end of the map and back to their own base with the enemy flag, they get AA points or Items given to them from the NPC that add up that they can spend at a special epic weapons and good armor vendor, or however you want to work it. Easy enough.

NOW... here's the part I have not figured out yet. This part escapes me. The actual Kills/Flag removal part. Since you would take forever killing a warrior while he is running across the map with a disc on, especially if you are say, level 30 and the warrior is 75, there needs to be a way that keeps it level neutral. Such as:

1. The flag is a spell, The npc shouts in the zone who he casts it on, and all players get an item that casts a weak dispell to get rid of the flag on your target?

2. The flag is an item so you can actually see who has the flag, but then how do you handle getting it off the player? Maybe an item that has a clicky and disappears if you zone, that kills the targeted player if they have the flag (no idea if that's possible), and the flag is temporary so when you die you lose it?

3. If you choose to kill players to get rid of the flag, then they will need to be bound on their side of the base... so then you need to make the entry NPC bind you on entry. Then when the event's over, who cares if people gate into it because the NPCs in the event map are on a spawn timer, and they poof after the event's over. You could even do like in cshome and put Uber powerful mobs in there that are on an opposite spawn timer as the event NPCs, and they deathtouch you upon gating in, and shout to the world that they killed you when you tried to enter the CTF map when the event isn't running? Maybe there is a way that when you use the NPCs that spawn to let you out of the event at the end, they can change your bind point to 0,0,30 in Nexus?

I am open to suggestions on this, and I hope everyone throws in their two cents, including the Devs and Quest writers, as I think this would be a very fun event.

Thanks.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:19 AM
bbgunz
Fire Beetle

Thumbs up bump

has anyone here created a quest even similar to this?

good old ctf, very cool idea
Old 10-16-2009, 02:36 PM
Shin Noir
Legendary Member

I thought about this, you could probably run a wc command on the flag carrier and make them "wield" something strange to imitate the flag, and with this, combined with a pretty complex quest script that has a qglobal tracking the flag wielder, each side's score, and other factors.. You could probably write a CTF script.

~Shin Noir
DungeonEQ.com
Old 10-16-2009, 04:58 PM
trevius
Developer

Normally, I am not big on PVP, but the CTF idea does sound unique and could be fun if done right. It was discussed a bit more in-depth here:

http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24736

I think it would be a fun challenge to script it and get it working perfectly. I just haven't had the time since there are always bigger things on my list of to-dos. With all of the new things that have been added to the source since this was initially discussed, I think it would open up a bunch of new possibilities to make creating this easier and have a better end-result.

One thing that would help this idea would be if I ever get around to coding it so you can set armor tint on NPCs and PCs via a script. Then, you could set everyone to wear plate, and set each team to their own color (red vs blue or whatever), and have the flag holder either wear a certain special color armor, weild a special item, or maybe just change their race to something that is easy to tell. Sounds like fun