Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 06-11-2015, 04:12 PM
Renoden323
Fire Beetle

Default My First Attempt at 100% Offline Solo Server!

Hey Ladies and Gents,

I'm a new user of the EQEmu Forums. After a couple of days of browsing around this site, I'm pretty excited to be coming back into the world of Everquest! I first started playing this game right when SoV came out and stopped actively playing around the release of DoN.

My issues are: A) I'm spending a large amount of time in areas where I will not be having any internet access at all. B) I peaked in my computer literacy skills at around the age of 21, so, obviously some of the basics of server creation, changing logins, ect. take me a little longer to fully grasp (I thought for sure I was going to be a computer science major... that didn't work out. Also, I am now 27... I've forgotten stuff).

I am dying to get back into this game that defined a large part of me and my buddy's childhood. So, I'm reaching out for some help with my first post on these forums!

What I have:

Akka's Repack (After some time of reading and searching the forums it seemed this was something I needed)
A Windows Based Machine
A Fresh Steam Download of Everquest (No Patching Done)

What I've Learned So Far

Solo But Not Necessarily Offline Server Creation (I've read the starter tutorials but, unfortunately, I haven't quite seen anything that lets me bypass connecting to something other than my own machine.)

So, there you guys have it! If any of you amazing wizards out there could possibly drop me a hint, link or any other form of wisdom, I'll be forever in your debt!

Being new, I realize that I may be asking some noob questions here, so forgive me if I'm asking some questions that may have already been answered. There is a wealth of knowledge and history on these forums it seems, navigating it can be kind of daunting at times!

Thank you in advance! I have a great respect for what you guys do on here!

- New Guy
Old 06-11-2015, 06:28 PM
provocating
Demi-God

I would just get started and ask specific questions when you get stuck. As long as the machine has enough pep you should be able to run the server and client on the same machine, with no internet access.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:21 PM
Uleat
Developer

I haven't used Akkadius's repack..so, I'm not 100% on this.

http://wiki.eqemulator.org/p?Windows...Guide&frm=Main

If you want to run exclusively on one computer (with no external clients,) then using 127.0.0.1 will suffice.

If you want to still allow outside clients (wan) occasionally and/or have lan-based clients, then set it up on your lan ip address.

EDIT: You can even connect to two or more login servers..but, let's not get ahead of ourselves...

Compilin' Dirty
Old 06-11-2015, 07:30 PM
provocating
Demi-God

I have had it all running on my laptop just using localhost at an airport, but playing a newbie character. Great way to blow the time away while waiting on your connecting flight.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:36 PM
Shendare
Dragon

Old 06-16-2015, 12:58 PM
Renoden323
Fire Beetle

Hey guys, thanks for the responses! I'll to get work on your advice right away! Really appreciate it.

P.S. Sorry for the late reply, I was in one of those no internet access situations for a few days
Old 06-16-2015, 01:08 PM
Renoden323
Fire Beetle

@Uleat I'm assuming you mean 127.0.0.1 should be used for the server log-in server? Rather than Login.eqemulator.net?
Old 06-16-2015, 01:50 PM
provocating
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renoden323 View Post
@Uleat I'm assuming you mean 127.0.0.1 should be used for the server log-in server? Rather than Login.eqemulator.net?
Yes, if you are offline then you would setup and run your own login server.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:55 PM
Shendare
Dragon

Keep in mind that that involves a separate setup process as described here:

http://wiki.eqemulator.org/p?Windows...er_Setup_Guide
Old 06-16-2015, 02:07 PM
provocating
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shendare View Post

Works well too. I run both, server attaches to the EqEmu login server and our private one.
Old 06-16-2015, 03:58 PM
Renoden323
Fire Beetle

Quote:

Just to clarify, by following that guide am I abandoning everything that was done with Akka's RePack? To be honest with you, I really liked that set up. It was easy (nearly effortless) to get a server running. Both of you have suggested I follow that route, and if that's the only way, then so be it!

I guess what I'm asking is am I able to use that link and the information within it and apply it to what was done with Akka's? Or are they completely different methods of server building, thus requiring me to start from scratch?

Thanks again you two. Your patience is unmatched
Old 06-16-2015, 04:07 PM
Shendare
Dragon

Ah, yeah, IIRC, Akka's repack does not include the private login server portion, so you'd have to follow the main full-complexity Windows Server setup guide to implement it.

You'll want to be absolutely sure running a private login server is that important to you!

The Repack was put together to let people do EQEmu without having to go through the tough stuff. Even seasoned developers can run into hitches that require some help on the forums.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:55 PM
Renoden323
Fire Beetle

Alright, well, although I was hoping that that wouldn't be the case, I totally get it. I guess I'll start reading up and learning the ropes. Unfortunately, that whole "no internet" access thing is a very real portion of my week. Thus, private and offline is my only option. Thanks for all your input and advice.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:03 PM
Uleat
Developer

You 'may' be able to just compile the login server as it's fairly stand-alone and its code doesn't change that often.

There may be a compatible login server binary around here somewhere..or, if you know someone and trust them...

At that point, it would just be downloading the correct files needed for the login server to function and modifying
your eqemu_config.xml file.

EDIT: I operate offline all the time. The only thing you will need to do, if the repack is updated, is to run world.exe
before going offline so that the db updater can make its changes.

Compilin' Dirty
Old 06-16-2015, 08:55 PM
provocating
Demi-God

Has it changed that much over the years? Maybe not.

https://code.google.com/p/projecteqe...r.rar&can=2&q=