Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::MiniLogin

Support::MiniLogin Support forum for problems with the official MiniLogin release.

Old 10-24-2004, 07:32 AM
Athoul
Fire Beetle

Default Having problems connecting other people over a LAN

Here is what I'm doing. I have minilogin, EQEmu 0.6.0 etc. I can log in and play from my computer (the computer that hosts the server), but my brother cannot.

He is connecting to me via VPN and connecting fine. He can ping the server and on the MiniLogin window, I can see him attempt to connect:

LoginServer.ini read.
Server mode: Standalone
Login server listening on port:5999
4719 New Server connection: 192.168.1.101 port: 22533 <-----------------EQEmu/MiniLogin server
89672 New client from ip: 192.168.1.11 port: 1329 <--------------My brother's IP handed to him from my 2003 server.

I have changed the loginserver.ini to reflect the IP of the server to be 192.168.1.101 and the zones internal and external addresses are 192.168.1.101 as well. I have forwarded ports 1 - 65000 on my Linksys router as well as add the 192.168.1.101 in the DMZ of the router.

Any ideas on why he cannot connect. He doesn't get to the server select screen. Just an error after hitting the Login button.

Thanks!
Old 10-24-2004, 09:06 AM
Edgar1898
Former EQEmu Developer
Current EQ2Emu Lead Developer

He probably needs to patch. If minilogin shows that it received a connection from him, but his client is giving an error, he is using the wrong version.
Old 10-24-2004, 09:56 AM
Athoul
Fire Beetle

He is patched to live minus Legends. He gets a time out on connection error when he tries to login. He's not getting to a server select screen.
Old 10-24-2004, 10:29 AM
mrea
Discordant

Did you give him his account and IP in the database?

Old 10-24-2004, 10:30 AM
Athoul
Fire Beetle

Yes.
Old 10-24-2004, 10:41 AM
mrea
Discordant

Well, what you could do is just give his access to the server when it's locked and put it online, unless you have dialup.

Old 10-26-2004, 12:38 PM
loderunner
Sarnak

Default This is similar to my problem..

Two friends are able to connect from the internet, login, create characters, and enter world just fine. I, however, cannot do the same from my pc connected on the internal network.

We all have login accounts setup the same way, we're all setup in the database the same way, but I'm consistently getting a 1017 error.
We all patched the same day, same way...anyone have any ideas?
Thanks.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:05 PM
Doodman
Developer

Loderunner, you need to do the DNS trick. Most routers will not route internal traffic back through the extrernal interface.

See this thread I wrote:
http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17370
Old 10-26-2004, 02:21 PM
loderunner
Sarnak

Default Is this something new to the new version of MiniLogin.exe??

Thanks Doodman for your help. I'm looking into setting this up.

I've always ran MiniLogin.exe for my login server in this exact configuration, and it always worked without these "tricks". Is this something different with this new version of MiniLogin.exe?
I certainly dont want to appear ungrateful, but this is a bit of a pain, and it used to work without it. : (
Thanks
Old 10-27-2004, 01:31 AM
zephyr325
Hill Giant

1) I've had problems with my linksys when I've forwarded ports to a box as well as made that box the DMZ host at the same time. I can't tell if you just tried 2 things or were doing both of them at the same time.

2) I don't know if that's the problem, though, for you - if he's VPN'ing into your LAN, then he's already inside your network and the router shouldn't be coming into play. What I would do is make sure that all the addresses you're using everywhere (loginserver.ini, boot5zones, etc.) are internal addresses. You're trying to keep all your traffic on your private network and shouldn't be popping out for anything.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:14 AM
Edgar1898
Former EQEmu Developer
Current EQ2Emu Lead Developer

Default Re: Is this something new to the new version of MiniLogin.ex

Quote:
Originally Posted by loderunner
Thanks Doodman for your help. I'm looking into setting this up.

I've always ran MiniLogin.exe for my login server in this exact configuration, and it always worked without these "tricks". Is this something different with this new version of MiniLogin.exe?
I certainly dont want to appear ungrateful, but this is a bit of a pain, and it used to work without it. : (
Thanks
There is nothing wrong with minilogin. Its your router that isnt forwarding the packets through your external IP address. Minilogin was designed to be used by people on the same subnet. If your trying to do something it wasnt designed for of course you will have problems.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:26 AM
Speedz
Hill Giant

I run a network and all systems run fine on my server.

I had to do the DNS trick and all, so as Ed so plainly states, minilogin is not broke, its your setup that needs some special attn.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:44 AM
loderunner
Sarnak

Default Not my intention...

I didnt want to imply that it was broken, merely created differently perhaps. My setup is exactly the same as it was with the previous incarnations of MiniLogin.exe and it always worked without the "trick". I have it working now with the "trick" but I will look into what could possibly be different within my setup to make it NOT work like it did before.

Only trouble I had before with this same setup is 2 people from the same home network connecting, and having to share a character bank. Thanks to everyone for their replies.