Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > OpenZone > OpenZone:: Q&A

OpenZone:: Q&A Support forum for OpenZone help

Old 05-04-2009, 11:36 PM
Tabidzukare
Sarnak

Post Guide: Exporting Zones + Textures

Hi All,

This is a very simple method for extracting Zone data (with textures) into 3DSMax9.
  • This Guide Assumes:
    • Knowledge of how to install and run a MaxScript
    • You will read the details of ZoneConverter from the site link provided
    • You have basic computer/problem solving skills (no sarcasm here)
  • What You Will Do:
    1. Install the 3DSMax9 Trial
    2. Install the ZoneConverter
    3. Install the PovImport2 MaxScript
    4. Extract the desired .S3D's contents via ZoneConverter
    5. Open the .WLD of the zone who's .S3D file you just extracted (it will be in the folder with all the extracted contents of the .s3d)
    6. Convert the .WLD to .POV via ZoneConverter
    7. Run the PovImport2 script from within 3DSMax9
    8. Enjoy your zone! It's ready to be saved or exported in anyway you would like from within 3DS.

Credits obviously go to Kaiyodo (Import Script), Jeremy Wilson (Zone Converter). Secondarily they go to the EQEmu team for facilitating these programs creation and for their assistance in helping me locate some of these files (Secrets, GeorgeS).

If more in-depth descriptions are needed let me know, I'll be happy to put more polish on this, but this is more specifically intended for Orison Seven and his excellent team.

Kindest Regards~~

Old 05-05-2009, 12:02 AM
OrisonSeven
Sarnak

Thanks a ton for this tutorial. It is greatly appreciated especially so quickly and easily used. With this we will be able to revamp zones of the game that we have all known for so long.

THanks again, and soon, oh so soon, will we be unveiling some more great stuff for the community!

-A goal is in mind. but the view is still clouded-
Old 05-05-2009, 12:54 AM
OrisonSeven
Sarnak

Ran into a snag. Running max 08, and dont think this would be a problem, but the after getting as far as the max script... nothing happens. Looked though the code and found nothing that jumped out as being 09 specific but im not a maxscript code expert and havent had time to give it to anyone who is better at coding then i am.

As for zone converter, it works perfectly, and all files and texture as well as .pov files export perfectly.

Thanks for everything!

Old 05-05-2009, 04:37 AM
Tabidzukare
Sarnak

Default Hi Orison,

Hi Orison,

Sorry is that part wasn't clear.. Are you just running the script as is? What I mean is.. just opening up listener and then File->Run Script->PovImport2.ms?
If you use this method then I think that is why it's not working. What you need to do (and my apologies for assuming you haven't done this) is add the script to your 3dsMaxXXXX\Scripts\Startup path. Then in 3DS under the 'Utilities' Tab (right side of the screen assuming a default install) select 'MAXScript' it will expand a new menu in the tab. There is a drop-down box there, and in that drop-down select PovImport2 from the list (it will show up if in the proper scripts\startup path (may be different depending on your install of 3DS). This will open up the GUI for the POV importer, select the options you want then navigate to the appropriately exported .POV file and voila it should work.

Your version of 3DS should also not cause a problem as this script was created years ago by Kaiyodo. I hope this works, but if not let me know. I'll be up for hours and I'll get back to you asap my friend. Best of luck, I can't wait to see your newest ground-breaking work!

Kindest Regards~~
Old 05-05-2009, 04:47 AM
Tabidzukare
Sarnak

Default Faulty Post..

Sorry Admin / Orison,

That last post was before formatting, and for some reason when I previewed it it posted itself.. I clicked edit but I got some message about editing after 5 minutes wasn't allowed so I'm re-posting the polished submission. Again my apologies for the double post.

Hi Orison,

Sorry if that part wasn't clear.. Are you just running the script as is? What I mean is..
    1. Running 3DS
    2. 'MaxScript'
    3. 'Run Script...'
    4. Browsing to the loc of 'PovImport2.ms'
    5. Running the script

If you use this method then I think that is why it's not working. What you need to do (and my apologies for assuming you haven't done this) is this:
    • Add 'PovImport2.ms' to your c:\pathto3ds\scripts\startup
    • Run 3DS
    • Click the 'Utilities' tab (on the right side of the screen assuming a default workspace)
    • Select the 'MAXScript' button
    • From the drop-down in the MAXScript panel (still in the utilities tab) select 'POVImporter'
    • Select any options you'd like
    • Click 'POV Import'
    • Browse to your zones .POV file and select it
    • Wait and enjoy the results!

Your version of 3DS should also not cause a problem as this script was created years ago by Kaiyodo. I hope this works, but if not let me know. I'll be up for hours and I'll get back to you asap my friend. Best of luck, I can't wait to see your teams newest ground-breaking work!

Kindest Regards~~
Old 05-05-2009, 10:51 AM
OrisonSeven
Sarnak

I actually did infact use both of the listed methods. First run through I used the first, i.e. run maxscript, and then searched within "customize UI" to look for the associated "button" if u could call it that to no avail.
After that didnt work, I tried the stated second way which I now believe I messed up one part on simply through lack of sleep. Thank you for the update.

And thank you for the quick response!

Old 10-18-2010, 03:41 PM
Hmm
Discordant

Wow pictures look amazing. Wish its possible to make eq render em like that.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:32 AM
Peener
Fire Beetle

I've been looking everywhere trying to find a copy of this VB Zone Converter. Does anyone know where I could get it?
Old 02-13-2016, 12:25 AM
everquest1
Fire Beetle

Default it works

Followed the steps in the first post step by step and it works perfectly. Now I just need to figure out how to export character models with the animations. Any ideas anyone?
Old 02-13-2016, 10:06 AM
Scorpious2k
Demi-God

I never created characters. There are examples. They might help.

If you want to export models he has already included you need to go to files->properties.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:51 AM
Tyen05
Discordant

related

http://unityeq.com/misc/WLDFileReference.pdf