Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:19 PM
Raelador
Fire Beetle

Default Startup then goes black

Hello I'm new to the EQemulator.

I am using a freshly installed version of Titanium edition on Windows 7 64 bit edition.

I do everything the guide tells me to do, but when I run the modified shortcut the screen goes black, but I do however see the everquest cursor over the black screen.

I've tried running it in 640x480 and in compatibility mode with windows 98/me/xp
Old 11-28-2010, 08:23 PM
blackdragonsdg
Dragon

Wide screen resolutions, multiple monitor setups and lack of directx9c are the most common causes of that problem. Outdated display drivers can cause weird display issues as well.

Since you have already tried a different resolution I would try installing directx9c. It does not matter if have dx10 or dx11 as they are not 100% backwards compatiable.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:40 AM
Rollcredit
Fire Beetle

I'm having the exact same issue. I installed DirectX 9c like you said and the issue is still there.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:40 AM
lerxst2112
Demi-God

Change your desktop resolution to something like 1024x768 and then run it. After the first time you should be able to set your desktop back and not have trouble.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:37 AM
Rollcredit
Fire Beetle

I've tried just now and it gives the same result. I'm going to reinstall the whole thing and then run it under 1024x768. I'll let you know if this works.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:51 PM
winz
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollcredit View Post
I've tried just now and it gives the same result. I'm going to reinstall the whole thing and then run it under 1024x768. I'll let you know if this works.
Did it work?

Did anything work?
Old 03-06-2011, 10:27 PM
vossiewulf
Fire Beetle

I'm seeing the same thing. I'm using the Steam Underfoot client, no problems at all until I try to login to a server, and it instantly stops responding. I've tried some of the dual/quad core fixes as well, nada, instant lockup.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:38 PM
vossiewulf
Fire Beetle

Maybe I should mention I'm Win 7 64, i7-950, Nvidia GTX 470. I seem to remember there used to be a log file, but I don't see anything obvious in the install dir. Trying to find something which at least tells me what's failing.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:21 PM
vossiewulf
Fire Beetle

From multicore sticky:

"I made the EQ shortcut use compatibility mode for WinXP SP3, and just under that I checked the "Disable desktop composition" checkbox as well as "Run this program as an administrator". Works flawlessly."

I did this and can now get into the EZ server at least. Project 1999 still locks up. Does anyone know if the Steam Underfoot version works with 1999?
Old 03-07-2011, 03:46 PM
sorvani
Dragon

Try the P99 server site..

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2651
Old 03-07-2011, 03:49 PM
blackdragonsdg
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vossiewulf View Post
From multicore sticky:

"I made the EQ shortcut use compatibility mode for WinXP SP3, and just under that I checked the "Disable desktop composition" checkbox as well as "Run this program as an administrator". Works flawlessly."

I did this and can now get into the EZ server at least. Project 1999 still locks up. Does anyone know if the Steam Underfoot version works with 1999?
The log file for Everquest is located in your Everquest\Logs folder it is called dbg.txt. For both Windows 7 and Vista running Everquest in compatibility mode is not required..if you have to do so then something is interferring with its normal operation. Always run Everquest as an administrator and disable UAC or atleast tune it down till it no longer interferes.

Underfoot is not supported on all servers so you may or may not be able to play on every server using that client.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:01 PM
sorvani
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragonsdg View Post
For both Windows 7 and Vista running Everquest in compatibility mode is not required..if you have to do so then something is interferring with its normal operation. Always run Everquest as an administrator and disable UAC or atleast tune it down till it no longer interferes.
I run Win7 64 bit and have had zero issues running Titanium, SoD and now UF.
I rarely ran it as an administrator, and I definitely do not change UAC settings.

When I started using WinEQ then I needed to start running things as an Administrator. I still have had zero need to change any UAC settings. The only UAC prompt that comes up is when I launch WinEQ. Click yes and away I go.

If you run multiple WinEQ profiles and launch them from desktop shortcuts, well you will get a UAC warning each time because you are technically launching a new WinEQ session each time. If instead, you use the right click menu in WinEQ, you will not see any more UAC warnings.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:46 PM
vossiewulf
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorvani View Post
Thanks Sorvani, didn't realize those additional steps were required.