Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:32 PM
NoPulse
Fire Beetle

Thumbs up Looking for developer(s) interested in running a new server.

I am looking for one or more developers that are interested in creating and running a solo type server. One of the things that seems to happen with most servers is the fact that quite a few classes are deemed worthless or a waste of time. On most custom servers you'll find plenty of a certain class, and almost none of another. This gave me the idea to make a solo server where we can take the weaknesses of some classes and bolster them. This can be done via quests or tasks in order to improve an item via kill quests, turn-ins, or other possibilities. There are some things that I definitely want to be part of the server. Other than that, I am fully open to suggestions and ideas as I want this to be a team project. I'm looking for a collaboration with at least one other person that is confident in their ability to program and see this through. I currently have a server up and can cover the costs for upgrading as needed but the server is already pretty nice and that shouldn't be needed for a long time. The only thing I need help with is development and really want to have fun making this server rather than it just be a grind by myself. I have plenty of time to work on the server as I work full time from home.

Here are the terms I don't think should change:
- Fully custom content.
- Powerful items and powerful enemies.
- No bots but pets are ok. I don't want this to be a bot server.
- I'm fairly certain we shouldn't allow boxing on the server since the point is to be able to handle the game with just 1 class.
- All classes should be able to reach near end-game content by themselves. I like the idea of requiring some grouping at the very top but this is something we can definitely discuss.
- I want the experience to be fun regardless of what class you want to play and feel this can definitely be accomplished with some class balancing!
- Make no mistake though I don't want this to be an easy server. Solo yes, easy, no.

Please feel free to respond to this post with any comments or thoughts you may have and you can also PM me if you're seriously interested in helping me with this project. Thanks!
Old 03-13-2012, 01:52 PM
notknowing
Sarnak

Love your ideas, I really hope this gets made. I think a lot of people would be interested in a server like this. Good luck!
Old 03-13-2012, 07:11 PM
Irreverent
The Solo Server

This is the premise of The Irreverent. Instead of splitting talent, why don't you come over and visit us and combine forces.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:35 PM
NoPulse
Fire Beetle

I have a few top chars on your server actually as well as being the leader of a fairly large guild. I quit because I got bored. When server challenge v2 went down there wasn't much left to do unfortunately.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:39 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irreverent View Post
This is the premise of The Irreverent. Instead of splitting talent, why don't you come over and visit us and combine forces.
Why not? That's what everyone does!
Old 03-13-2012, 08:01 PM
NoPulse
Fire Beetle

When I say I want class balance I mean the ability for each class to be able to solo content playing off their strengths but also by improving their weaknesses. A wizzy with fear for instance, or a warrior with a lifetap heal. These are just completely off the top of my head but I think you get the point. Powerful items would be great and I'd look for a goal of 300k+ hp at endgame level. This would be offset by tougher mobs though of course so the challenge is certainly still there. Again, these are all just ideas that I would love the opportunity to work with some people with to collaborate on and get started.