Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 04-15-2018, 09:38 PM
Phantons
Sarnak

Default Looking For A Good Solo Server

I'm wondering if there are any good, lots-of-content, solo servers. There's P99 when I want group-stuff, but play solo. I play EZ for when I want to box (I've been trying a solo character, but man is progression slow because of all the side grinding you need to do just to get somewhere). I'm looking for a server, though, where I can solo. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood to multi-box or manage MQ2. I don't mind if progression is slow, just not getting-nowhere-ever-slow.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-16-2018, 11:39 AM
vithmiris
Sarnak

http://www.eqemulator.org/index.php?...o&worldid=2662
Old 04-25-2018, 11:31 AM
lctucker2999
Sarnak

Default Solo server

Depending on what you're looking for might be worth trying to run your own server. If you don't mind bots, you can probably "solo" through raid content with minimal tweaking of your server settings.

I'm in an unfortunate situation where I want to see somewhat legit raid content, but I just can't commit more than an hour here or there. So I, with no Eq emu knowledge whatsoever, ran the installer and was up and running and have been enjoying my own little server for a couple months now.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:11 PM
jabedoben
Sarnak

I'd give my left testicle to have Last World back.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:22 PM
GM Ash
Fire Beetle

LW was awesome! My 2cp tho-

There's nothing on par with Irreverent's server running right now; he ran a very high quality, almost professional server for years. He had very little help in the kitchen, and was very good about tracking and fixing bugs, all while tuning raid encounters to true level-appropriate soloing. It was not all "faceroll easy" though, players had to know the mechanics and nuances of their class(es) and use potions, etc, to heal themselves, and his one custom "server challenge" zone (old PoHate 1.0) was tuned for cooperative duo and group play.

No one server "has it all" and even on Irrev's "legit" server, players complained about NOT having NPC buffers, custom clickies, etc, while still requiring backflagging/legit zone access, et cetera.

Most Solo-oriented servers running right now are highly customized, and strike me as being either too hard or too easy. It all comes down to your expectations as a player; I honestly have well-loved toons which I played a lot on Mort's revamped Raid Addicts server, also I liked Poru's Casual Dreams for a long time; he works very hard at raid encounter balance and pleasing his fans.

There are cross-over servers, but most require bots, and I'm no fan of bots really- BUT-- it is theoretically possible to run a good solo server with bots, and players simply not use them; OR with just enough bots to run LDoN missions or create a raid instance.

It takes a great deal of effort to take EQ into a truly soloable and fun and playable game; so much of the original game was based on interactivity and timesinks until TSS was released, but SOE/Daybork was already going downhill with their excuses about the obtuse difficulty of Gates of Discord and just couldn't compete with the newer, funner games back in 2003-4 like WoW and Guild Wars.

I run a Wrath-era private server on our home LAN just for my family, and tuned it fairly well for solo play with just the server config file settings, up to ICC, BUT it still isn't all truly "soloable"- and EQ is an even MORE robust and Complex game. It takes dedication and skill to go through the database and scripts to remove things like "death touch" and CC spells; banishment, fear, charm, dispel, and other nuisances and game breakers to most solo players of various classes.

I'm honestly looking for the same thing y'all are, but have been fairly happy as a player (particularly of casters) with what Osiris offers at 'Envy of the Irish'- it is a legit server (keys and flags, with some shortcuts), but one with a couple of nice server-specific charms, unique free newbie gear so you don't have to grind through the tutorialb or Drakkin newbie zone, and a unique lootable server alternative currency, which you convert to fun illusion items, mounts, and even giant bags of plat. Level limit is 65 and 99% of PoP and 90% of GoD are working, with top/max AA's being in the 600-ish range for each class. There are buffer-NPCs-galore in PoK and even Field of Bone at the newbie ramp, a 3+ tiered teleporter, and even a custom pet toys vendor. PoK is the hub zone on Envy, and NPCs guide you through the 'mandatory' quest to unlock the various buffing/porting NPCs in PoK. He has a 3-box limit by default, and there is a server message board, and, as far as GMs go in Emu communities, Osiris is quite helpful and responsive to player needs without "mongering" and being online 24/7/365.

Didn't mean for this post to be so long, or so critical, so sorry if my opinions run counter to popular thinking here! I've been a fan of solo servers for a long time; since Djeryv and Irreverent anyway.

Thanks for reading

"If ignorance is bliss, shouldn't stupider people be happier?"
Old 04-29-2018, 09:26 PM
Sturm
Hill Giant

Hope you find what you're looking for.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:12 AM
Cusser
Sarnak

Find 30-40 players who all want the same thing, get all of them to come on this forum and tell me they do.I will build that server for them.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:29 PM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusser View Post
Find 30-40 players who all want the same thing, get all of them to come on this forum and tell me they do.I will build that server for them.
www.firesofheaven.com

Enjoy

Old 04-30-2018, 05:53 PM
mjbcb0717
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maze_EQ View Post
link not working, i tried playing on FOH it just sits on a blank screen :(
Old 04-30-2018, 08:26 PM
GRUMPY
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maze_EQ View Post
Website has a great welcome screen too :P
Quote:
The domain firesofheaven.com is for sale. To purchase, call Afternic.com at +1 781-373-6847 or 855-201-2286. Click here for more details.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:48 AM
jonnyx32
Fire Beetle

This is the correct link:

http://www.fohemu.com/

I've been playing on this server for a few hours now. It's been pretty fun and soloing is not a problem. From what I read end game may need a couple people but that's down the road.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:26 PM
mjbcb0717
Hill Giant

Who even runs this server no one's posted on that site since 2014 lol any discord or something.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:22 PM
jonnyx32
Fire Beetle

No idea who's running it but it's stable and I enjoyed getting my toon to 51 before I turned off xp. If you decide to play and don't feel like reading the patch notes, a couple quick things:

Spells and disc's are auto-scribed when you return to the starting zone (you start with a charm that gates you back).

There is a corpse summoner behind the merchant- I did a couple corpse runs before I figured this out.

The server is up to PoP. If you get the planar travel message bug in PoK just gate back to the starting zone. I found this out by not acknowledging I would be sent to the old zone when I went to Innothule.

No buffbot; there is a porter for pp that will send you to different continents to reduce run time.

XP is good and the mobs are scaled nicely.

Tl;Dr It's fun, it's solo, and hopefully it sticks around.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:45 PM
woton
Sarnak

I have tried a every solo server I could find listed and none really appeal to me. Does anyone have plans of making a sever similar to Irreverent again?
I really liked that he kept the game mostly non custom. Now that Gates and Omens are finished by PEQ, there is a lot of content to explore.
I know, make it yourself if you cant find something you like, but I am so computer illiterate that I have no clue how to start.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:18 PM
Bigbad
Fire Beetle

FlexQuest - http://www.eqemulator.org/index.php?...o&worldid=2963
Range of players can be solo all the way to full raid ... Mobs scale dynamically in real-time. Current release is Velious. Planned through PoP.