Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:00 PM
toubi
Fire Beetle

Smile VZ/TZ: Teams PvP

[Titanium and SoF work best!]

[About the Server]
  • Level 60 cap
  • Purchasable AA's starting at 60
  • 2.8x experience rates
  • +1 stat starter gear
  • Augments
  • Skill and Spell scriber
  • NPC's 15% more difficult
  • Classic-Velious expansions [SoL later on]
  • Two-teams
  • Food vendor with +stat food
  • Consumable vendor for potions
  • Stable hand for horses!
  • PvP token system, hand tokens to PoD for points, plat, and xp pots
  • Level based buff-bot
  • Translocate stones to places like Hate, Sky, and basic druid portals
  • Old lavastorm and Nek
  • Marauder's Mire LEGENDS SEVER zone for 55+ players
  • Plane of Underfoot accessible behind Master Yael in the hole
  • Everything is dropable, LORE tags removed
  • Can 2-box
  • Mana, HP and Endurance regen is doubled.
  • Magelo character copies possible from other like servers!
  • Server RAIDCALL
  • Charm ports you back to Tutorial safe zone

Old website:
http://www.pwnedemu.com

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vallo...ams-Based-PvP/
Old 07-13-2015, 01:37 PM
toubi
Fire Beetle

About the teams:

Evil
  • Ogre
  • Troll
  • Iksar
  • Dark Elf
  • Half Elf (added to give evils bards and druids)
  • Gnome
  • Erudite

Good
  • Human
  • Barbarian
  • Halfling
  • Dwarf
  • High Elf
  • Wood Elf
  • Vah Shir
  • Froglok
Old 07-13-2015, 10:30 PM
knowom
Discordant

I believe 3 or more sides are required if you want ideal load balance between sides because players aren't always very good at policing themselves. That is the primary reason why PVP generally worked in DAOC/UO and balanced itself out by the player base itself. WoW and Warhammer by contrast have gone through continuous server migrations in order to help restore lopsided balance issues.

You might be able to get around it by forcing the VZ/TZ faction flag to be a deity based one rather than race driven one upon player creation like manipulating /guildwar with deity based guilds you belong to. You could then enable/disable a set amount of deities for every race and let players choose deity irrelevant of race selection based on a set selection of them. That's really how Sony/Daybreak should have done the VZ/TZ faction servers in the first place it was a huge balance mistake restricting it instead based on race selection.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:43 PM
Shendare
Dragon

Hypothetically, for what little it's worth, considering I spent very little time on the Zek servers on Live, I would tend to agree.

Good/Evil/Neutral based on deity selection sounds the most viable to me.

However, if this server chooses a different route, I wish them lots of good playtimes ahead!
Old 07-13-2015, 11:56 PM
knowom
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shendare View Post
Hypothetically, for what little it's worth, considering I spent very little time on the Zek servers on Live, I would tend to agree.

Good/Evil/Neutral based on deity selection sounds the most viable to me.

However, if this server chooses a different route, I wish them lots of good playtimes ahead!
It could be more broad than Good/Neutral/Evil and follow a different scheme entirely like a elemental one it could just as easily be 4 or 5 sides instead which might perhaps be more interesting.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:23 AM
Deleri
Fire Beetle

Good/Evil/Neutral was pretty rough on SZ with Evil having a large advantage due to having SKs and Necros. EQ2 did an interesting thing with PVP team as there was a Good Team and a Evil Team. They also had Exiles which belonged to no team which was KOS to everyone. That sounds like a pain in the A, though.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:55 PM
toubi
Fire Beetle

Just an update. the server was down for about 24 hours or so due to severe flooding and storms in my area that took out a good chunk of our power grid.

The power is back up, and so is the server sorry for the inconvenience
Old 07-15-2015, 10:59 PM
toubi
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowom View Post
I believe 3 or more sides are required if you want ideal load balance between sides because players aren't always very good at policing themselves. That is the primary reason why PVP generally worked in DAOC/UO and balanced itself out by the player base itself. WoW and Warhammer by contrast have gone through continuous server migrations in order to help restore lopsided balance issues.

You might be able to get around it by forcing the VZ/TZ faction flag to be a deity based one rather than race driven one upon player creation like manipulating /guildwar with deity based guilds you belong to. You could then enable/disable a set amount of deities for every race and let players choose deity irrelevant of race selection based on a set selection of them. That's really how Sony/Daybreak should have done the VZ/TZ faction servers in the first place it was a huge balance mistake restricting it instead based on race selection.

I'll look into shifting teams, the reason there are two teams now and it's racial is due to population.

Three teams and deity-forced selection is only prospective if we hit over 100+ players, any less and you'll have issues with 85% of the server on one faction, 10% on the other and the remaining 5% in the third; which then the server just becomes one giant zerg guild. Since we are sub-50 at the moment three teams would make it difficult to do anything without having to cross-team to accomplish goals like taking down Velketor the Sorcerer or even put together a planar raid.

Even Red99 has 200+ players and has issues with over half the population coalesced into one guild, I mean unless we have the population to support three teams and enough variables to sort those players out it would actually harm the server.

So a two-team racial guild focus with a slight racial advantage to good balances it out to be even numbers for our population, because MOST people when choosing a warrior will probably pick ogre, giving goods and extra race or two via Frogloks and Vah Shir gives mor enumbers to their side.
Old 07-16-2015, 02:33 AM
knowom
Discordant

Red99 allows for that too easily though in large part as it's not exactly tied to deity/faction choices. Hell I'd just lump them all into a deity guild and let players freely change for a fee so they can retroactively balance themselves.

Toss in a scaling XP balancing system and it would encourage relative close balance highest population receives XP penalty middle is flat normal XP and lowest population receives a XP boost and make the bonus/penalty scale according to like a bracket XP system depending upon how balanced or imbalanced it is.

I think a lot of red P99 would be compelled to switch over to a fresh start balanced 3+ sided faction TZ/VZ server. Really most PVP games I've seen that offer more than 2 sides are better balanced and more well praised in regard for it by contrast. Being on a overpopulated side can be as bad or worse almost than a underpopulated one in some regard because you run into the issue of not being able to find enough people to fight against. At least this essentially alleviates that issue regardless of which side you pick it might have lulls at times similar to red p99, but provides some auto balancing self correction fix options.

You might even give a retro active song buff/debuff to worst and best side with buff favoring the worse side since they clearly need the extra balancing help more perhaps like the XP penalty/bonus it could variably scale as well on severity of population issues.

Do a backup of what you have going and start off even keen with new idea and test it out new concept when it's ready you always revert back if it doesn't work and provide a XP bonus or something for a few weeks or w/e to the server no big loss in the end.

If you took red99 population and evenly balanced it into 3 factions which were class/race balanced right now do you honestly not think it would be more fun than in it's current state? I think that's what it boils down to in the end. Does it have the potential to be much better overall.

If enough people feel like it does I can't see a reason why they wouldn't be willing to switch over not to mention people not playing at all presently or on servers outside red99 that it might interest as well.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:34 PM
toubi
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Red99 allows for that too easily though in large part as it's not exactly tied to deity/faction choices. Hell I'd just lump them all into a deity guild and let players freely change for a fee so they can retroactively balance themselves.

Toss in a scaling XP balancing system and it would encourage relative close balance highest population receives XP penalty middle is flat normal XP and lowest population receives a XP boost and make the bonus/penalty scale according to like a bracket XP system depending upon how balanced or imbalanced it is.

I think a lot of red P99 would be compelled to switch over to a fresh start balanced 3+ sided faction TZ/VZ server. Really most PVP games I've seen that offer more than 2 sides are better balanced and more well praised in regard for it by contrast. Being on a overpopulated side can be as bad or worse almost than a underpopulated one in some regard because you run into the issue of not being able to find enough people to fight against. At least this essentially alleviates that issue regardless of which side you pick it might have lulls at times similar to red p99, but provides some auto balancing self correction fix options.

You might even give a retro active song buff/debuff to worst and best side with buff favoring the worse side since they clearly need the extra balancing help more perhaps like the XP penalty/bonus it could variably scale as well on severity of population issues.

Do a backup of what you have going and start off even keen with new idea and test it out new concept when it's ready you always revert back if it doesn't work and provide a XP bonus or something for a few weeks or w/e to the server no big loss in the end.

If you took red99 population and evenly balanced it into 3 factions which were class/race balanced right now do you honestly not think it would be more fun than in it's current state? I think that's what it boils down to in the end. Does it have the potential to be much better overall.

If enough people feel like it does I can't see a reason why they wouldn't be willing to switch over not to mention people not playing at all presently or on servers outside red99 that it might interest as well.
All of those things are technically already there and if not it's just adding a line of code or two to add back in the experience bonuses for race.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:08 PM
knowom
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by toubi View Post
All of those things are technically already there and if not it's just adding a line of code or two to add back in the experience bonuses for race.
So another words we just need to convince a lot of people to start playing primarily. I mean if it's all fairly trivial stuff I don't see why this shouldn't be a lot more popular and player base grow rather rapidly personally. There is a lot of other custom stuff that could be done too to enhance the basic nostalgia aspect of the game while providing more progression and variation yet not deviating too far from it.

From what you say though this server needs and deserves a lot more attention. I think a VZ/TZ team PVP server really has more potential than any other server type going for EQemu especially combined with sensible customization enhancements. There is so much room to do crazy cool things with the game while fully retaining a very nostalgia feeling at the same time and making the game more progressive, fun and accessible to just about every player type.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:44 PM
knowom
Discordant

I feel as if this server would be better off doing a merger with Return of Zek [Velious/Guildwars] and co-developing that to be even better. I think between the two that is arguably the better and more popular TZ/VZ server type right now. The main benefits is rather transparent though a larger player base along with another developer as well would be good for both. I think both servers share roughly the same mindset and are quite similar just Return of Zek [Velious/Guildwars] happens to do things slightly better overall in general to most. It's not something that has to be done, but something I imagine a lot of people on EQemu would deem mostly a net positive if it were to happen. In the words of Leetsauce were are all on the same team duly appropriate to this subject matter.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:48 PM
toubi
Fire Beetle

Quote:
I feel as if this server would be better off doing a merger with Return of Zek [Velious/Guildwars] and co-developing that to be even better. I think between the two that is arguably the better and more popular TZ/VZ server type right now. The main benefits is rather transparent though a larger player base along with another developer as well would be good for both. I think both servers share roughly the same mindset and are quite similar just Return of Zek [Velious/Guildwars] happens to do things slightly better overall in general to most. It's not something that has to be done, but something I imagine a lot of people on EQemu would deem mostly a net positive if it were to happen. In the words of Leetsauce were are all on the same team duly appropriate to this subject matter.
They're just different flavors, RoZ has a pretty stated objective; mine has a more hands off sand-box type approach; I don't like interfering much if at all with the server progression or make sweeping changes to dynamically change the game.

They can be merged, but the people playing on VZ/TZ are the people playing on RoZ anyways, it's not like they're two exclusive populations.

Tags
classic, pvp, raids, teams, zek