Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 08-01-2015, 07:52 PM
NEEDADISPENSERHERE
Fire Beetle

Default Editing char_create_combinations

I'm trying to enable a bunch of different race/class/deity combinations at the character creation screen. I thought I read long ago that this was only possible through ingame commands, but I've been reading threads with people mentioning char_create_combinations. So is this possible or what? If not, what's the point of the table?

I went into heidisql and opened the database in the SQL folder to edit this table, along with char_create_point_allocations and start_zones, but the character creation screen hasn't changed at all. I'm on titanium, so is this feature only for later clients or something?

I appreciate any help on this, thanks!
Old 08-01-2015, 11:41 PM
Kingly_Krab
Administrator

Titanium has hard-coded char_create_combinations, sadly enough.

To clarify, when I say hard-coded I mean client-side hard-coded, not a server-side hard-coding.

Last edited by Kingly_Krab; 08-02-2015 at 12:32 AM..
Old 08-03-2015, 02:00 PM
NEEDADISPENSERHERE
Fire Beetle

Thanks for the response! So I'm guessing SoD and/or RoF allow client-side changes in char_create_combinations? Do you know of a compilation of the pros and cons of using the various different clients for EQEmu? Right now I'm pretty much going for a classic Velious-era experience (with some race/class exceptions) as possible, but I'm guessing anything post-titanium interferes with that. I really appreciate the response and any further response!
Old 08-03-2015, 02:40 PM
Shendare
Dragon

The SoF, SoD, Underfoot, RoF, and RoF2 clients are all new enough to support customizing character creation combinations, and any of them should be fine for limiting to a classic Velious experience by disabling newer expansion features like extended target windows, drakkin, etc. via the World:ExpansionSettings variable in the rule_values table.

The Getting Started Playing guide talks about different clients before getting to the Step 1 - Installation phase.

http://wiki.eqemulator.org/p?Play_Gu...etting_Started
Old 08-03-2015, 04:18 PM
knowom
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shendare View Post
The SoF, SoD, Underfoot, RoF, and RoF2 clients are all new enough to support customizing character creation combinations, and any of them should be fine for limiting to a classic Velious experience by disabling newer expansion features like extended target windows, drakkin, etc. via the World:ExpansionSettings variable in the rule_values table.

The Getting Started Playing guide talks about different clients before getting to the Step 1 - Installation phase.

http://wiki.eqemulator.org/p?Play_Gu...etting_Started
They can't use old versions of zones though if I'm not mistaken.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:20 PM
Shendare
Dragon

I think only Highpass is actually broken in clients newer than Titanium. The worst the users of newer clients will need to do is download the missing zone files for the old zones.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:07 PM
N0ctrnl
Discordant

I had issues zoning from highkeep to the new highpass when that's all I replaced. Oddly enough, a highkeep (client) file from SoD fixed it. Just something to try if you have issues zoning from highkeep to the new highpass, if you put it in.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:08 PM
Shendare
Dragon

Yeah, definitely going to want to verify zone points to fix any mismatches.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:00 PM
NEEDADISPENSERHERE
Fire Beetle

Thanks for the replies everyone! I already looked at the wiki play guide page Shendare, I see the page mention a "ClientFeatures" page, but there's no hyperlink, so I assume the page doesn't exist?

So as long as I have the old zone files (I do), the newer clients should all load the old zones just fine? If highpass is the only zone file that doesn't transition perfectly, but there are ways around it, I'm ok with that, as long as I can actually enter the zone and do stuff.

Is there any major drawbacks off the top of anyone's head to transitioning from titanium to a later client? Things that would majorly ruin the experience of trying to nostalgia trip on Velious era?

Again, I appreciate all the responses! I tried my best to search the wiki and forums for this stuff, I found little tidbits here and there but not precisely what I was looking for, so I apologize if my question(s) have already been answered somewhere else.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:06 PM
Shendare
Dragon

Pro: Newer clients are more stable. Titanium can crash just by being clicked on while zoning.

Con: (Depending on your point of view.) Lighting was changed sometime between Titanium and SoF so that everyone now has ultravision at night, and no zone is particularly dark anymore. Convenience won over atmosphere there.

Pro: More race models and spell effects to play with!

Pro: You can still use all the old zones except Highpass Hold.

And many of the other features, races, classes, etc. added after Velious or Titanium can be disabled with the ExpansionSettings rule, as mentioned.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:09 PM
Shendare
Dragon

Also, Titanium has some things hard-coded into it, like race/class/deity combinations, skill caps by level, and some other things I can't recall off the top of my head, but the newer clients were updated to get that information from the server, so you're free to customize them to your heart's content to get the feel you're going for.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:49 PM
NEEDADISPENSERHERE
Fire Beetle

Thanks for the help! Just one last confirmation, so Highpass Hold doesn't work at all? Like, even if I use admin commands to zone in? I won't bump this thread anymore after that last answer =) Thanks so much for the help everyone, especially Shendare! =D
Old 08-04-2015, 12:56 PM
Shendare
Dragon

Correct. Apparently once the zones were revamped, someone thought it would be efficient to go back and delete the old versions of the zones, since ostensibly nobody would be using them anymore.

Fortunately, Highpass Hold was the only zone that got the axe before that was stopped.

In the client hard-coded list for Titanium, the original Highpass Hold is zone #5:

http://www.shendare.com/EQ/Emu/EQRI/...um_EQZones.htm

In the client hard-coded list for SoF+, the zones go from 4 (Qeynos Hills) straight to 6 (Highkeep).

http://www.shendare.com/EQ/Emu/EQRI/SoF_EQZones.htm
Old 08-11-2015, 08:20 AM
NEEDADISPENSERHERE
Fire Beetle

Hey, so I know I said I wouldn't be posting here again, but I've run into a quick problem that's related to the thread. I was able to switch to the UF client btw, if that helps with answering. I ran into some problems but was finally able to fix them =) Now I'm able to mix and match the races/classes etc that I want! So thanks for the earlier help =)

Anyways, on to the problem: I edited char_create_point_allocations to where I have a megaton of bonus points, but it seems that when I spend ~25 points on the character create screen, it won't let me spend any more. Is this hard-coded, or is there some sort of database entry or something where this is stored?

I appreciate any response!
Old 08-11-2015, 09:19 AM
N0ctrnl
Discordant

I'm pretty sure it's hard coded.