Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > EQEmu Operations Center

EQEmu Operations Center Web development tools

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-18-2013, 10:35 AM
Akkadius
Administrator

Default EOC BETA Launch (Developer's Tool) EQEmu Operations Center

All,

Some of you have anticipated this for a longer time than it should have been necessary.

Trevius and I have worked on this project for many months and it has been a side project that sometimes got dropped for a period of time, time to get it off the ground in BETA

That said, I've also been involved with high level web development outside the realm of EQEmulator which has also reflected in being able to execute very smooth and efficient work with this tool, using PHP/AJAX/Javascript/HTML/Mysql to deliver a rich hosted tool solution platform.

EOC TEASERS HERE: http://imgur.com/a/xgnVo

What is EOC?
EoC (EQEmu Operations Center for Development) in vision was meant to be a few things in essence
  • A hosted solution so you do not have to install ANYTHING
  • A web front-end tool for EQEmu Server development
  • Built for custom server developers in mind
  • Tools built to cut down on the development time and process
  • Tools that are built to not break based on different database schematics
  • Make rich tools available without the need to learn to setup a web server and configure a bunch of stuff all just for one server

What tools are available now?

As of right now, there are about 3 original tools available and they all are very nice. These include:

Item Editor: (Created by Akkadius)
  • Detailed Item Search (Based on Allaclone code - I want to rewrite this but it works)
  • Item Tooltips for quick display of information
  • Over 20 sub tools (Class selector, Race Selector, Icon Viewer/Selector, Weapon Viewer/selector, Item Price Selector, spell selectors etc.)
  • Nostalgic Sound effects
  • Music - Can be toggled off

Item Editor Features to Come:
  • Automatic item statistic scaler - Will take in a few arguments (Level, Class type (Silk/Leather/Chain/Plate), and item content type (Solo/Group/Raid)) and automatically suggest values for your statistics. This will be able to be generally + or - a percentage on top of suggested values, giving you much less thought in mathematically scaling items
  • Some fields could still use sub tools
  • Copy Button at the top of an item (Similar to Georges) - Now to copy an item all you have to do is reassign an ID

Task Editor: (Created by Trevius)
I must say myself that this tool is awesome, I can get a task together in minimal amounts of time using this great tool that Trevius put together.
  • Built all with AJAX requests to allow ease of use and fast task creation
  • All you would ever want in a Task editor

Zone Tools: (Created by Akkadius)
I put this small tool together with the necessity of being able to copy zone data from one version to another without issues. The Georges editor one was great but I would find out that it would bomb on some zones and not sure why.
  • Thousands of lines of code were written in this one to give a really great zone copier for ease of creating a new zone with the base of another version of the zone
  • Zone Importer: Yes, I wrote this tool to also be able to establish a 2nd Database connection and import content from it, this is really almost too hot to share with anyone but I guess I'm a nice guy and want to see this community thrive :P
  • You can delete entire zone instances if you need as well as copy, you can keep original ID's or create new. All the options are given

Ok, so you have only 3 tools? Umm that's great?
- Well, you should find the tools here alone well worth your time, but if that really isn't enough for you, the PEQ Editor is wrapped inside this tool which requires you no setup whatsoever.
- To use the PEQ Editor tool, you will just need to establish a database connection initially like you did with the rest of the tools and you will be ready to go

Ok how do I get started Mr. Akkadius?
Well, this is the best part really, or the worst depending on what kind of a tight ass you are.

Right now, the only way to connect is going to be through 'Manual DB Connect' which honestly is GREAT, I will further explain my plans for this in a bit.

Manual DB Connect
  • To start, go here ->
  • You will need your Mysql server open to the world, I suggest using NOT root and a different user with a stupid LONG password
  • You will need your Mysql Server (IP, DB Name, DB User, DB Password), the validator will not let you pass until EOC can establish a connection with your server. Once you have done this, YOU ARE READY TO GO!

So using this tool you can edit your server within a matter of seconds without having to install a damn thing and it is actually extremely fast. The speed is going to vary on your MYSQL Servers connection and speed.

Is this secure?
Yes, it is about as secure as it's going to get, only Trevius and I oversee this project and we both place our integrity above ourselves as without it we would not hold the reputations we do.
We don't log database logins, and if you're really that concerned, use a test database or don't use this at all. I guarantee you will want to use this once you try it.

What if I wanted to let other developers use this tool on my server but not give them my DB info?
NOT IMPLEMENTED - BUT! - My immediate goal is to build a user system in which you can register a server and create 'developer' users in which you can assign permissions to which tools they can use and what they can do with those tools in regards to development as a server.

This would be ground breaking in the respect that there is always an issue to let strangers over the internet who seem like they want to help you but end up screwing you when you gave them too much handle too quick, this would resolve all of that.

Are there bugs?
LOL, probably. But most of it should be pretty smooth to boot. Please post any findings here and I or Trevius will address them when time permits.

Last edited by Akkadius; 12-17-2013 at 10:39 PM..