Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:24 PM
ionhsmith
Discordant

Default cloud based server question

I have been currently running my server from a computer at home. I was wondering if some one could explain or point me in the direction of how to run my server on a cloud based or virtual server so i can get it off my home computer
Old 02-10-2016, 01:50 AM
Shin Noir
Legendary Member

Did you get this all figured out? I've been super busy lately so unable to help out sadly.

~Shin Noir
DungeonEQ.com
Old 02-10-2016, 04:02 PM
ionhsmith
Discordant

no i started the instance on it but dont have a clue as to how to install stuff ... there is a lot of options on there that do not make sense to me because i have never messed with server software other that my home stuff.I am still running it off my laptop
Old 02-11-2016, 02:43 AM
mgellan
Sarnak

I run my server on Amazon AWS, using a a tiny instance of Linux for about $20 a month. It's mostly a playground for my guild, we run our Mumble server on it as well. You can run Windows instances too but it's more expensive. If you don't know Linux you're going to have a rough time getting the server compiled and running tho...

Regards,
Mg
Old 02-11-2016, 02:44 PM
N0ctrnl
Discordant

Yeah, it sounds like you don't really have the base to do what you're asking about. There are a LOT of things involved in running an entire server remotely vs doing it at home. (Firewall, security, monitoring, etc.)

My recommendation would be to find somebody to help you out with it, or go for a Windows hosted server. You're trying to fly before you walk and that generally ends badly.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:36 PM
ionhsmith
Discordant

yea it is more involved than what I was thinking but thats why I was trying to learn. Ill figure it out eventually... thanks for the info
Old 02-11-2016, 05:29 PM
N0ctrnl
Discordant

Please understand it's not my intention to discourage you exactly. Just need to understand there's a lot to it, and if you're not ready to make that leap, it's best not to. At least not by yourself.