Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::Development > Archive::Database/World Building

Archive::Database/World Building Archive area for General Discussion's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 05-15-2004, 07:57 AM
Swampdog
Hill Giant

Default Making models global?

Hey gang.. I've been playing around with some of the various suggestions here to add a model to a zone in trying to figure out how I could do this on a global basis without having to edit/create a .txt file for each zone.

Say for instance I wanted to be able to spawn a group of Kyv Hunters in a random zone at any given time to keep people on their toes.

I attempted creating a global_chr.txt file in hopes that it would function the same as [shortzonename]_chr.txt but it doesn't seem to work. If I do a #spawn or target myself and do a /become using the neutral 396, all I get is a human unless actually in qinimi where the commands work perfectly, as would be expected.

Is there any way to add a new global or are we forced to edit each individual zone's txt file?

Thanks for any assistance.. :P
Old 05-15-2004, 02:28 PM
NarutoLegacy
Discordant

I heard that Windcatcher knew how.
Change Maxlevel

Kaio Kuzumaki of the East, Owner of Tides of War [Custom-Legit] PvP Server
Orome, Lord of the Woods, Middle-Earth Roleplay PvP Server
Kaio Kuzumaki of the East, Owner of Kaio's All-GM Test Server
Old 05-18-2004, 02:10 PM
Swampdog
Hill Giant

I read his guide for making any model available in any zone, but can't find any info on how to make a model available in all zones. Windcatcher, if you're out there and lurking and know how to do this any info would be awesome or if anyone else knows. Until then I'll continue with the zone_chr.txt files for the individual zones I'm customizing.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:58 AM
Shadow-Wolf
Dragon

heh i was righting a program using FLTK that makes a _chr.txt file for a zone you specifiy, if i still had the ability to use fltk I would continue but i lost my work. Btw umm naruto lol thats the way windcatcher made mobs available in some zones this guy is wondering if its possible to my a global version that loads extra models to all zones instead of making like 200 or so txt files including the same shit.
Old 05-19-2004, 04:20 PM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

The only way I know how is to edit the <zone>_chr.txt files.
Old 05-19-2004, 04:23 PM
Charmy
Discordant

btw incase anyone was wondering, i tried extracting then inserting char models into different CHR.s3d files, i.e. taking xegoy's Dds files from poair_chr.s3d and putting them into nexus_chr.s3d, didn't work, didn't crash zone but didn't load models either, so =P looks like only way is to make the 200+ zone_chr.txt files.
Any Other Questions, please refer to the Following:
http://iliilllli1.netfirms.com
Old 05-19-2004, 04:24 PM
Swampdog
Hill Giant

kk.. .Thanks WindCatcher.. I'm doing customizations on one zone at a time so maintaining those individual files isn't as painful as I originally thought...

Thanks for all the great work yall have put into this..

Edit: thanks Charmy... we musta been posting at the same time.. heh... :P
Old 05-20-2004, 09:34 AM
mikenune
Discordant

If you want models to be available to EVERY zone, you can just add them all to the global_chr.txt file in your EQ directory. . .
Furthermore THE POSTER assumes no responsibility and makes no warranty, guarantee,
or representation for the content of any web or FTP sites linked to or from this
post.

THE POSTER reserves the right to change the terms, conditions, and notices under
which THE POSTER presents information. It is the responsibility of THE READER to
regularly review these terms, conditions, and notices. THE READER understands that
the reading of any content including or covered by this disclaimer constitutes THE
READER's acceptance of and agreement to such changes.

THE POSTER retains the right to in any way alter the content of this post at any
time with or without prior notice to THE READER.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:49 AM
Swampdog
Hill Giant

That's the first thing I tried after reading WindCatcher's how-to in the server guide but it didn't work, at least not for the Kyv ihu,ihu_chr model. Tried to use both /becomenpc and #spawn in lfay after a clean boot of the client and neither worked. To make sure I had the model info correct I then tested by creating lfaydark_chr.txt and then used the same hotkeys I'd created to test the #spawn and /becomenpc commands and both worked fine but moving to another zone where I hadn't created a file specific for that zone file, my hotkeys wouldn't work again. So at least for me, my global_chr.txt file isn't being read....
Old 05-20-2004, 04:31 PM
KhaN
Dragon

Global_chr cant work, why ? Because its not an EQEmu zone.
If verant use this system, its not for nothing. I will also add that if verant have find this system before, they would have used it.

Old 06-01-2004, 06:01 AM
Magick
Sarnak

Semi old post, sorry to bump.

You made me realize I didn't put gender/texture on some of the models in the guidebook. Most should be 2 (Neutral) though a few, if I remember correctly, did use 0/1.

I'll test out your problem this week, but unless SOE has changed something (ie., if you notice it seems new files are coming in .eqg format) it should work flawlessly.

One suggestion: try a different model , something pre-GoD and see if you can get that to work correctly. That may help narrow down the issue(s).

Also keep in mind several things:

1. Each client needs to have the same zonename_chr.txt file in order to see the models. They also need the model file (not a big deal considering the patcher will get it for them).

2. In reference to someone mentioning 200+ models in the zonename_chr.txt. That is going to bog down and likely crash some clients. Even if the model isn't used, the client loads it -- just in case. If you put 200+ models to be loaded, you''re going to be sucking mucho ram from your players and rendering that zone virtually unplayable. =)

3. Make sure you update the model count on the zonename_chr.txt. That's an easy thing to forget but it will not work without it.

Edit: Btw, about models being global. I have tried virtually everything I can think of and it doesn't seem possible... yet. Sony proved it can still be done when they added the new skel models in LDoN (those are global) but they obviously know where and what needs to be done. My theory is they pack them into a global_chr.s3d and it's hard-coded to load all those models. If that's the case, until we can shift models in and out of .s3d files, it's not going to happen on EQEMu.