Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 05-08-2006, 09:49 PM
Xtightypantsx
Fire Beetle

Default How much better is it to buy a dedicated server?

Right now i am running a server on a computer in my network, the server is a P4 2.93ghz with 512mb of ram running windows XP which seems to do the task well BUT i am just running on a cable modem with a pretty good connection (download speeds of 500-600k). The biggest problem with this is the fact that my friend lives in florida and i live in california so he is plagued with lag. and its frustrating for me cause i want him (and anyone else who logs on) to have fun playing on my server. so how much better is it really to pay for a dedicated server from companies like AWOC and VSK and throw down 100 bucks a month for one of their servers?
Old 05-09-2006, 12:35 AM
paaco
Discordant

Well your download speed is not limiting you. Where most connections fall short is the upload bandwidth. People use very little bandwidth just running around doing normal things. When people zone however it spikes your upload bandwidth a little. Get enough people on your server with like 512 kbits up speed and you'll start lagging people. A dedicated server will be way less laggy, or at least should be just because of the amount of bandwidth they will have compared to you. Those little 5 kb spikes when people zone wont put a dent in a dedicated servers b/w.

Also if you are running off a home PC and need to download a file or something, it will lag people pretty bad, or slow your internet to a crawl if you get a lot of people connecting. It all depends on if it is worth spending $100 a month really I guess. A properly set up dedicated server is definately going to be less laggy than a server at home on Cable/DSL though.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:25 AM
kripsinkurehall
Sarnak

You also have to take into affect how many hops it is from you to your friend. Just as a reference, my Comcast connection in Virginia has no problems hosting around a dozen or more people at once. I have people connecting from Connecticut all the way to California and hardly anyone get a connection to the server slower than 75ms. This is using the in game network stats tool, which we all know isn't the most accurate, but it gives you a general idea. Just to compare, a buddy connects to my server at 50ms, and to Sony's server at almost 100ms. My comcast connection is great while my server is still in closed beta, but when I open it up I'll have to move it to the Datacenter I work at.

It may not be your upload speed, but how close you and your friend are to a backbone connection, individually. There are of course other factors involved, but this might give you some more info about this.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:27 PM
Xtightypantsx
Fire Beetle

what is the in game network stats tool?
Old 05-10-2006, 06:58 AM
kripsinkurehall
Sarnak

hit f11 while in game, or use the /netstats command. It's not as informitive as the Star Wars Galaxies command, but it's ok, at best. The f11 command is the monitor, that will provide up to date info in a basic GUI interface. the /netstats command is a snapshot of your current network statistics in relation to the connection to the server. Both are VERY basic at best, but it's better than nothing, and fairly easy to read.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:36 AM
Doughnutz
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtightypantsx
Right now i am running a server on a computer in my network, the server is a P4 2.93ghz with 512mb of ram running windows XP which seems to do the task well BUT i am just running on a cable modem with a pretty good connection (download speeds of 500-600k). The biggest problem with this is the fact that my friend lives in florida and i live in california so he is plagued with lag. and its frustrating for me cause i want him (and anyone else who logs on) to have fun playing on my server. so how much better is it really to pay for a dedicated server from companies like AWOC and VSK and throw down 100 bucks a month for one of their servers?
My experience with a dedicated server is that the hosting I had from DMG was really great. Almost perfect uptime, almost always great download speeds and best of all my Lead-GM could go in and boot up a zone if one crashed or write a quest or something.

The problem for me was budget. Donations for a 100 dollar dedicated server took quite a while to get, then once I got the 100 dollar donations, I only had enough for one month and lost it after a month.

/shrug, I think a large reason why people don't donate as much now is because of what some people did and would run off with the money and never to be seen again for monthes then come back and run the same server for another month begging for donations then get the hundreds of dollars then be gone again. This repeating for sometimes even 4 times. :/

In the end..........
Dedicated line >A home cable service...
Old 05-10-2006, 11:31 AM
Cisyouc
Demi-God

Quote:
Dedicated line >A home cable service...
That's basically it in a nutshell.
namespace retval { template <class T> class ReturnValueGen { private: T x; public: ReturnValueGen() { x = 0; }; T& Generator() { return x; }; }; } int main() { retval::ReturnValueGen<int> retvalue; return retvalue.Generator(); }
C++ is wonderful.