Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Linux Servers

Support::Linux Servers Support forum for Linux EQEMu users.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:12 PM
ProSkeptic
Fire Beetle

Default EQemu in a box? Two hours or less - Yet Another Tutorial

I put all the steps for setting up a completely working EQEMU server under a Virtual Machine up... From downloading and installing the VirtualBox software, to downloading and installing the OS (Ubuntu 11.10) ...

And a complete script for taking the machine from virgin install to downloading the source, db's, maps, etc... compiling/makes, fixing/modding the INI files and so on.

All you do is the easy stuff (and x-fer the spells file) at the end.

Take a look, if I am permitted to include a link -- I will make mods for other OSs (centos, others by request) and VM types (VMware) in the next week or two.

See :
http://www.proskeptic.com/wordpress

Any questions, you can post here, OR private message me here.. tomorrow I will have email enabled there.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:15 AM
hitchhiker
Fire Beetle

I followed the tutorial and it seems great but it doesn't seem to work 100%. whenever I log in i see a server named "ship_in_a_bottle" and after trying to load it I get kicked back to login screen. after trying again I get an error 1017: Cannot login to the Everquest server. you may need to rerun the update patch. Repeatedly seeing this message may indicate a loss of connectivity to the patch server. this is usually temporary." Being completely new to this I have no idea where to start looking for problems.

oh never mind, i just typed sudo ./startup.sh before this and got permissions. leaving this in for prosperity------I am not sure if the following text means that the server start up had an error or not, but when I type ./startup.sh I get lines of messages saying chmod: changing permissions of '(files)' Operation not permitted.-------

also I wasn't even sure if i transferred the spell_us.txt file correctly. do you just download it from lucy, change the name and drop it into the server directory?
Old 04-09-2012, 10:23 PM
hitchhiker
Fire Beetle

Fixed the problem. login.ini had the local_network at 192.168.0. when it should have been 192.168.1.

incredible script otherwise!
Old 06-03-2012, 06:58 AM
mxdog
Fire Beetle

Default what server

your link shows 11.10 but it goes to 12.04 . will that version work?

and I'm also assuming we want the server version not the desktop is that correct?
Old 11-05-2012, 06:49 PM
prickle
Hill Giant

you could do it on desktop. I run EQEmu on my Ubuntu 12.04 desktop just fine. The only problem i have is compiling EQEmuLoginServer. I've found that I can run MiniLogin.exe with Wine to get a fully functional EQEmu environment.

I'd rather run EQEmuLoginServer for my login server as that would allow me more flexibility... but MiniLogin works for now
Old 11-05-2012, 08:14 PM
Caryatis
Dragon

There really is zero need to run your own login server.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:37 PM
Noport
Opcode Ninja

Caryatis I'm a leach for Free Internet i'm connected directly to an Ap Router in client mode 80) Kind of like sitting at Mcdonalds using internet in the confort of your own home
another words i flashed my router no cable lines attached to my house

Prickle you can use EqEmuLoginServer follow this post 80) http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35057
Old 11-05-2012, 09:53 PM
Caryatis
Dragon

Old 11-05-2012, 10:34 PM
Tabasco
Discordant

Old 11-05-2012, 11:13 PM
Noport
Opcode Ninja

Caryatis you can learn alot from a dummy just like chrsschb when he learned something new 80)

Prickle download url link to EqemuLoginServer
http://code.google.com/p/projecteqem...r.rar&can=2&q=
Old 11-13-2012, 05:46 PM
mgellan
Sarnak

Default Unable to Right Click!

Doh mispost

Last edited by mgellan; 11-13-2012 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: I'm a dufus
Old 11-28-2012, 05:24 PM
oldmanemu
Fire Beetle

Default "EQemu in a box" issues...

I've now created 3 new VirtualBox servers (deleting old, creating new) with the same issue each time. I'm a bit befuddled as to why this is happening. Everything goes smoothly until ./startup.sh command is sent...from there it looks like this:

.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/rivervale/Deputy_Pitti n.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/rivervale/Deputy_Quill to.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/rivervale/Kizzie_Minto pp.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/rivervale/Shakey_Scare crow.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/rivervale/Deputy_Chopo .pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/rivervale/Deputy_Shelm y.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/rivervale/Hebber_Drune ny.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/rivervale/Deputy_Niepo .pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/rivervale/Deputy_Banto .pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/rivervale/Deputy_Rolli n.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/rivervale/Kaya_Cloudfo ot.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/rivervale/Deputy_Jeggi n.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/rivervale/Marshal_Ghob ber.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/rivervale/Deputy_Rayni n.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/rivervale/Fiddy_Bobick .pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/rivervale/Rellix.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/rivervale/Marshal_Lane na.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/rivervale/Daleen_Leafs way.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/rivervale/Deputy_Tonlo .pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/rivervale/Hibbs_Rooten paw.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/rivervale/Nillipuss.pl ': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/rivervale/Deputy_Perci n.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/rivervale/Deputy_Olo.p l': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/rivervale/Bodbin_Gimpl e.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/rivervale/Mayor_Gubbin .pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/rivervale/Sheriff_Rogl io.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/rivervale/Marshal_Anre y.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/rivervale/Kevlin_Diggs .pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/rivervale/Thekela_Meep up.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/rivervale/Megosh_Thist lethorn.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/rivervale/Uner_Gnarltr unk.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/rivervale/Deputy_Milli n.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/rivervale/Jimji_Bottle toe.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/fungusgrove': Operatio n not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/fungusgrove/#Caller_To rgal.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/fungusgrove/Rictor_Asm ot.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/fungusgrove/Rebecca_Ca bbageleaf.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/fungusgrove/Lupot_Nukl a.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/fungusgrove/#Caller_Gr oo.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/fungusgrove/Scout_Halm ia.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/fungusgrove/Thar_Anton .pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/fungusgrove/#Caller_Mu rkin.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/poeartha': Operation n ot permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/poeartha/#korascian_tr ap.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/poeartha/A_Sludge_Lurk er.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/poeartha/A_Stone_Heap. pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/poeartha/#jewel_trap.p l': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/poeartha/#croc_trap.pl ': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/poeartha/A_Mound_of_Ru bble.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/poeartha/#mud_trap.pl' : Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/poeartha/A_Mystical_Ar bitor_of_Earth.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/poeartha/#stone_trap.p l': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/poeartha/#Stone_Trigge r.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/poeartha/A_Filth_Gorge r.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/poeartha/#Final_Trigge r.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/poeartha/#A_Rock_Monst rosity.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/poeartha/A_Rock_Monstr osity.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/poeartha/#Vine_Trigger .pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/poeartha/218068.pl': O peration not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/poeartha/#Vekerchiki_t rap.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/poeartha/#ent_trap.pl' : Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/poeartha/A_Perfected_W arder_of_Earth.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/poeartha/#Dust_Trigger .pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/poeartha/#geonid_trap. pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/poeartha/a_dusty_warde r.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/poeartha/#Mud_Trigger. pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/poeartha/Triumvirate_o f_Soil.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/poeartha/#rock_trap.pl ': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/poeartha/A_Stone_Forti fication.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/poeartha/Derugoak_Bloo dwalker.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/poeartha/A_Bloodthirst y_Vegerog.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/poeartha/#earth_trap.p l': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/poeartha/A_Monsterous_ Mudwalker.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/poeartha/#A_Sludge_Lur ker.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/poeartha/#tree_trap.pl ': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/poeartha/A_Muck_Mudlet .pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/poeartha/#gem_trap.pl' : Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/poeartha/A_Dust_Devote e.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/poeartha/Peregrin_Rock skull.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/dreadlands': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/dreadlands/player.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/dreadlands/A_Mystic_Vo ice.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/dreadlands/Brother_Bal atin.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/dreadlands/Veltar.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/dreadlands/gem_cutter_ skeleton.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/dreadlands/Baldric_Sle zaf.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/dreadlands/Kunark_Spir es.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/highpasshold': Operati on not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/highpasshold/Shumpi_Wi mahnn.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/highpasshold/Dyllin_St arsine.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/highpasshold/a_smuggle r.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/highpasshold/Volunteer _Delharn.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/highpasshold/Anson_McB ale.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/highpasshold/Bryan_McG ee.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/highpasshold/Captain_A shlan.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/highpasshold/Marlin_Sh irtov.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/highpasshold/Falyn_Far reach.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/highpasshold/#Jovan.pl ': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/highpasshold/Alhareen_ the_Just.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/highpasshold/Barn_Bloo dstone.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/highpasshold/Guard_Bec ker.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/highpasshold/Guard_Sta ld.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/highpasshold/Captain_O rben.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/highpasshold/Guard_Ran lem.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/highpasshold/Mutt_Root lit.pl': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/eqemu/server/quests/highpasshold/Stanos_He rkanor.pl': Operation not permitted
Starting Login Server...
Waiting about 5 seconds before starting World Server...
./startup.sh: line 13: ./EQEmuLoginServer: No such file or directory
Waiting 10 seconds before starting the zones via launcher
./startup.sh: line 18: ./world: No such file or directory
The server is mostly ready... give it a couple of minutes
to load stuff from the databases for the zones and users
can start logging in.
sysadmin@EQEMU-SERVER:/home/eqemu/server$ ./startup.sh: line 22: ./eqlaunch: No such file or directory
sysadmin@EQEMU-SERVER:/home/eqemu/server$

I have confirmed that all files are in place...any suggestions where I should start in troubleshooting?
Old 12-11-2012, 12:12 AM
krazycrakker
Fire Beetle

im having the same problem as oldmanemu. any help woud be appriciated
Old 12-11-2012, 08:12 AM
c0ncrete
Dragon

that generally means you are trying to execute chmod on a file that you do not own and you are not logged on as root.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:21 AM
krazycrakker
Fire Beetle

i started up the server did sudo su- ran ./startup.sh

i didnt get the denied stuff just this

Starting Login Server...
Waiting about 5 seconds before starting World Server...
./startup.sh: line 13: ./EQEmuLoginServer: No such file or directory
Waiting 10 seconds before starting the zones via launcher
./startup.sh: line 18: ./world: No such file or directory
The server is mostly ready... give it a couple of minutes
to load stuff from the databases for the zones and users
can start logging in.
sysadmin@EQEMU-SERVER:/home/eqemu/server$ ./startup.sh: line 22: ./eqlaunch: No such file or directory