Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Linux Servers

Support::Linux Servers Support forum for Linux EQEMu users.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:41 AM
noudess
Discordant

Default Server error

At this point, I'm only experimenting, I don't know what my actual intentions are.

Here's what I did:

I used the "2 hour server guide" at: http://www.proskeptic.com/wordpress

This guide's script wasn't up to date as far as cmake, so it died there. I did the makes myself and fixed up the rest of what the script wanted to do.

I now can run ./world and ./eqlaunch zone. They come up reasonably well. I see my server in the public login server list as up. (RolePlayingNorrth)

Here's where I am naive. I probably know my problem but I want confirmation.

When I try to connect from my Titanium install I get:

[Debug] [WORLD__CLIENT] New connection from 192.168.2.2:50774
[Debug] [NET__IDENTIFY] Unable to identify stream from 192.168.2.2:50774, no match found.

Does this mean I have the wrong patch level on my Titanium? Could someone else try?

My titanium is patched for P1999, which I am guessing is the problem? I want confirmation of that, and what action to take before I screw up my client for P1999 for no reason.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:22 AM
c0ncrete
Dragon

that guide won't work as the location of some of the required files has been changed.

these
sourcedir/utils/*.conf

have been moved here
sourcedir/utils/patches*.conf
Old 01-24-2013, 11:33 AM
noudess
Discordant

Thank you. That gets it running.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:40 AM
c0ncrete
Dragon

this is one of the reasons why using an automated installer script ends up being more of a hindrance than a help.

if you'd have been reading a guide that told you copy the conf files from the old directory, you would have noticed they were no longer there. the script isn't sentient and is unable to tell you that something was missing because of how it was written.

running scripts on linux that you can't read and understand what they do is generally a very very bad idea.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:39 PM
prickle
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0ncrete View Post
this is one of the reasons why using an automated installer script ends up being more of a hindrance than a help.

if you'd have been reading a guide that told you copy the conf files from the old directory, you would have noticed they were no longer there. the script isn't sentient and is unable to tell you that something was missing because of how it was written.

running scripts on linux that you can't read and understand what they do is generally a very very bad idea.
well, it IS possible to write a script that will find the files you want even if they've been moved to a new directory, but that's besides the point

Also, running scripts that you don't understand is generally a bad idea for any operating system, not just Linux... e.g. the virus cesspool that is Windows and more recently Mac OSX can no longer claim to be "virus and malware free" thanks to a wide spread botnet infection last year.

but i guess that's a bit off topic.

I did write my own build script (in Perl w/ a child bash script) that would do the whole shabang sometime ago. It started with an SVN compare between local and source, then if there were updates, it would svn up, and copy to a build dir, tweak the makefiles to my specification, compile, stop backup and replace the existing server. I haven't used it in a while due to complications with Perl, and now the change to CMake.

If I find some time in the coming weeks, maybe I'll tweak it and share it.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:14 PM
c0ncrete
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by prickle View Post
well, it IS possible to write a script that will find the files you want even if they've been moved to a new directory, but that's besides the point

Also, running scripts that you don't understand is generally a bad idea for any operating system, not just Linux... e.g. the virus cesspool that is Windows and more recently Mac OSX can no longer claim to be "virus and malware free" thanks to a wide spread botnet infection last year.

but i guess that's a bit off topic.

I did write my own build script (in Perl w/ a child bash script) that would do the whole shabang sometime ago. It started with an SVN compare between local and source, then if there were updates, it would svn up, and copy to a build dir, tweak the makefiles to my specification, compile, stop backup and replace the existing server. I haven't used it in a while due to complications with Perl, and now the change to CMake.

If I find some time in the coming weeks, maybe I'll tweak it and share it.
true enough on all points. the problem lies with the assumptions made by the end user (and the script, in this particular case), which was what i was getting at. it's always best to know what is going on when you are running or installing something on your machine, regardless of the operating system. i just cringe out of habit when it comes to admins running things unaware on linux. it's really not worth the air it takes to expel a sigh when it comes to windows.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:49 PM
prickle
Hill Giant

hahah agreed!
Old 01-24-2013, 06:13 PM
lerxst2112
Demi-God

That's the thing, if you can read that script and understand what it does then you could have also done all the steps manually and been fine.

The problem is, people that don't understand what it does, or Linux in general, expect a magic bullet and then come here saying "Oh noes, it didn't work what do I do?" and then we have to support the normal build process along with a script that we might not be familiar with and don't feel like learning about.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:20 PM
noudess
Discordant

So I'm running, but any character creation causes a segv. Sometimes its when going throught character spell lst, sometimes inventory, sometimes abilities.

Is the current trunk of eqemu and peqdb compatible?
Old 01-25-2013, 05:23 PM
lerxst2112
Demi-God

Can you post a stack trace of the crash?