Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Tools

Development::Tools 3rd Party Tools for EQEMu (DB management tools, front ends, etc...)

Old 01-09-2019, 04:32 PM
pharone1
Sarnak

Default Which tools to use in 2019

For someone new to running their own EQemu server, there's a TON of unknowns. The resources available on these forums and elsewhere is great.

The only problem is that with an emulator community that has been around for over a decade (I assume it's been over a decade now), there's probably a lot of information that is out-of-date and unsupported at this point.

I just started working on my server this year. I literally put up my first EQemu server like a week ago or so at this point. And.... I am so lost it's not even funny. Ok. It's a little funny actually.

The people on here and on the Discord server have been amazing. Thank you all.

What I am hoping is that maybe we can get a list of the tools, websites, etc that you are using as of January 2019.

For instance, I am interested in:
  • Item editor
  • Mob editor
  • Launcher
  • Model editor

... and anything else you use today to work on your servers.

I make youtube videos as a hobby as well, so I'm thinking about making a series on EQemu server setup, modification, and managing eventually.

Thanks for anything you can point me at, and please note that I am looking at the tools posted in this forum. I'm just trying to weed out the "still working and maintained" from the "no longer works and not maintained" tools
Old 01-17-2019, 08:42 PM
prestanneth
Fire Beetle

A decade, FQ or axgemu now EQEmu started in 2001 so nearer 20 years..with some of the beginning tools like Viktors eqinside being available in 99.
In regards to tools, maybe not the answer you're specifically looking for but this question doesn't really have a concise answer, as almost every tool that still works, and most of them still do in some fashion, is useful for its purpose.
Some of the functionality is duplicated across tools, and some of the tools contain some of the other tools embedded within.
I klnow i have most all of the following list available for use:
http://wiki.eqemulator.org/p?EQEmu_Tool_Cheat_Sheet
Along with maybe 20 odd that are not in the list.

Peq Database editor and EoC would the most common in use i would say for your more generic item/mob editing, but when you start looking at graphics or zone modelling, there is a plethora of tools you can use for various purposes. S3DSpy, EQ-ZIP, pretty much all of zaelas's & Shendare's.
If you search around you find stuff like the old openzones, well any of windcatchers o* tools , pogee 3d editor which whilst some are incomplete / not working with today's back-end, they are still in there own right useful for exploring how things work, Particularly ones that come with source.
Other stuff like the older guidebooks/ quest lexicons etc are still useful, although alot of the info is no on the wiki in some form.

This is one of the greatest things about eqemu, the vast majority of everything is open, to allow you to really make whatever you want to with a server, as long as your prepared to spend some time learning the various tools and what you can do with them.

As you've already eluded to , most of the resources and particularly the people themselves are very open and helpful in this community.

In short , for your server you say you are lost. My advice would be to treat it as a job / project but enjoy what your doing.. (Running a server almost becomes a job)..
You just need a plan. Starting from where you are now, what you need to do, and plan the steps to get there for each piece. Small documented steps are always easier than just looking at the big picture and panicking about how you need all of this done, and becoming overwhelmed.

KentaiVZ
Old 02-18-2019, 11:46 AM
pharone1
Sarnak

Thanks for the info.

I'm trying to understand the PEQDB editor. Is that a website you install on your computer that hooks in to the DB itself? I saw it mentioning Apache. One of the reasons I love the EQ Item Editor is the fact that it is a standalone exe I run on my computer. I'm not sure about installing an Apache webserver.

I've gotten pretty good at creating and editing items now using the EQ Item Editor. I love the program! Also, I've gotten to were I can create and NPC scripts (quests, etc) in Perl.

My next thing I am wanting to learn is creating spawns, spawn groups, and loot.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:58 PM
prestanneth
Fire Beetle

Hi, that's correct, Its a php website so needs a webserver to run under. Don't be put off by that as its very straight forward to install and get up and running.

It simplify's a lot of what your doing when you start getting into areas with alot of joins across tables etc.

The other route being to look at eoc as it has peq editor inside it also, where its all running remotely so you don't need to manage the webserver install.

( you can run it all locally but sounds like you dont want that overhead so you have some options either way.. )

KentaiVZ
Old 02-19-2019, 10:15 AM
pharone1
Sarnak

I just looked at the EoC, and it looks amazing. I can't wait to get home from work tonight, and try it out.

Thanks!