Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Database/World Building

Development::Database/World Building World Building forum, dedicated to the EQEmu MySQL Database. Post partial/complete databases for spawns, items, etc.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:43 PM
Tabasco
Discordant

The limiting factor is that the grid needs to be assigned to some NPC first in order for it to be visualized on the map. If you're wanting to recycle zone grids you can browse them using a stock version of the zone.

The folder icon at the top shows you the raw grid data, but I understand that's not very helpful by itself. It would be a pretty trivial code change to add a jump link to that view that drops the camera on a given grid point. You have the coordinates, you would just need to modify one of the camera to X functions a little bit.

One of the first things I noticed when going through these maps and visualizing grids myself, is that they are either very specific paths (like goblins on stairs in sol) or sprawling messes of seemingly random points (like south karana mobs).

If you're writing zones from scratch I would suggest making grids from scratch also since it can be done so quickly. That's not what you want, of course, but it is what I would do in that case whether I had quick grid visualization or not.
I *think* I can produce a quick patch for arbitrary grid visualization from the zone data view, since that does appear to be what you're after.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:58 PM
N0ctrnl
Discordant

If you could, that would be awesome!

What I'm ultimately trying to do is fix some of the wonky pathing by finding out which grids are good, and which aren't. I'm planning to keep the good ones, and rework the ones that need TLC.

As somebody mentioned in another post here somewhere, the packet captures undoubtedly picked up mobs being aggroed or otherwise pulled off their normal route and that probably accounts for some of the grids being crazy. I believe that with the proper visualization, those grids can be made workable without a lot of time spent.

None of this is to mention zones I've imported from other/older databases that don't have any grid assigned to the NPCs at all. That's really where I started with this.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:05 PM
Tabasco
Discordant

Done, updated in the demo and github.
There is a 'Show' button in the zone view, grid tab.
This will allow you to display a grid and manipulate its points without an NPC selected.

The points will still show up in the side so you should be able to jump to them in the view and edit them independent of a connected NPC.

It is a very hasty change, so let me know if you find any unusual behavior.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:18 PM
N0ctrnl
Discordant

I got it pulled down and connecting to my database. Don't see anywhere to set a maps directory though, unless I'm just missing it (which is possible).

I'm literally on my way out the door, but I plan to play with this when I get home tonight!
Old 07-28-2015, 08:22 PM
Tabasco
Discordant

Check the map download link in the original thread. It might be harmless to put on github, but I didn't want to take any chances. The maps are converted to json and anything you can configure should be in config.js and ajax/db.inc.php.

For best results you will at least want to set up the PEQ editor as it makes it easy to actually assign grids to NPC's.
This should all be detailed reasonably well in the readme and the guide in the original thread.

Good luck!
Old 07-29-2015, 03:22 AM
N0ctrnl
Discordant

I totally missed the map files. Pulling them down now. So how hard is it to make these? Is that something the tools are included for or does it have to be done some top secret way? I mainly ask because I'm using old versions of some zones.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:36 AM
N0ctrnl
Discordant

Ok, so got the maps working.

I gotta say, while this tool is really, really cool, it's more than a bit cumbersome for what I'm trying to do. The 3D is just a bit much for me I guess.

Don't take my feedback as me expecting you to do anything at all. Just seems like an overlay would be a simpler way to go for me.

Thanks for all your work on this tool. I'm going to use it for other things for sure.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:17 PM
Tabasco
Discordant

The 3D navigation is a little clunky. I'm used to it so I can fly through a map without much trouble, but that's 3D in a browser for you. Pointer lock and drag controls really mess with the UI so I decided on pure keyboard and target navigation. I do hope you get some use out of it for other things.

I will mention one other technique that might get you closer to what you want in the absence of true 2D replacement.
Hit the gear icon to open your settings and set the map material to translucent. Once you pick a grid, click one of the Go To arrows on any one of the grid points.
This will have you positioned above the point looking down. From there translate back with S until you are the desired height. You can use A/D + R/F (Or A/D and rotate with Q/E) to move around while maintaining that top-down perspective. With translucent material you will be able to see the path lines through the ground geometry. It's basically a 2D perspective projection at that point.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:30 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

Isn't Tabasco a badass?
Old 07-29-2015, 05:34 PM
demonstar55
Demi-God

I know KLS is hoping to get some path stuff into the zone-utilities project. Not sure if that's set in stone yet, but will probably be cool once it's done.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:52 PM
N0ctrnl
Discordant

I updated my tree and compiled those today in anticipation. Now if I can just make it run without segfaulting. :P

Tobasco, I'm starting to get the hang of it a bit more. I'll definitely add it to my toolbox.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:40 AM
Tabasco
Discordant

I might get back into development on it as things settle down at home.

Akkadius, thanks for keeping the dev server up.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:12 AM
Akkadius
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
I might get back into development on it as things settle down at home.

Akkadius, thanks for keeping the dev server up.
You know me bro
Old 08-02-2015, 02:57 AM
demonstar55
Demi-God

https://i.imgur.com/5yi5SNh.png this is something KLS has been working on :P
Old 08-02-2015, 08:44 AM
provocating
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonstar55 View Post
https://i.imgur.com/5yi5SNh.png this is something KLS has been working on :P
Strange question I know, what O.S. is that?