Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Development

Development::Development Forum for development topics and for those interested in EQEMu development. (Not a support forum)

Old 09-12-2018, 02:06 PM
warthar
Fire Beetle

Question What do you think of this?

Hey there, long time lurker/follower, toyed around a few times with it but now coming back to the emulation world. when I last played with this I was a gamer and a kid. now I'm a seasoned software engineer.

I'm probably in the minority here as this has always been a c++ project but I saw a post from a while back about making a c# version of the project and got to thinking as I'm a c# developer with the integration recently of mono and xamarin into C# and .net core finally being a thing. If anyone would be interested in working on a C# rendition of this project and converting the c++ over to c# I think with potential time and effort we could technically see eqemu running well under c# core and potentially able to spin up a server with just an android phone.

This is just a c# developer thinking out loud but would be interested in community thoughts on this.

Feel free to bash me on it, I can take it.. (i'm just glad I'm not a java, javascript or php developer.)
Old 09-12-2018, 02:51 PM
demonstar55
Demi-God

I have 0 interest in not C++. But that's just me, do what you want.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:58 PM
Demi-God

Ha ha that stupid java/javascript/php developer, look at me with my master race C#! Diversification is what wins the day, not relegating to what language you like the most.

Having said that why does everyone want to reinvent the wheel all the time. Do something new, learn something new. C# is just a bunch of overhead not needed, but hey if your purpose in life is to 'port' a project, so be it.
Member of the "I hate devn00b" club.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:41 PM
Torven
Sarnak

I rather despise C++, but porting over this codebase fails the cost/benefit threshold by a huge margin.

Lets say that the code is ported over to some other language: then you have to maintain two codebases and implement features twice, otherwise you end up with one repo up-to-date and the other missing features, and people will use the one that is maintained. If both are maintained, then server owners will choose the faster one-- unless it's a highly custom server perhaps.

The choice of C# over C++ when starting new projects would be to reduce development time at the cost of some performance. At this stage, I think EQEmu is long past the point where any development time reductions from future additions outweigh the cost of porting over everything, retesting it all, and becoming familiar with a new codebase/language for those not familiar with C#.

Servers on a phone don't seem particularly useful to me, either.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:25 PM
Uleat
Developer

Barring the point of c/c++ vs c#...

One thing to consider about this project is that it is massive!

There aren't too many disciplines left out of the IT domain.

We all know that the server code is like strings of Christmas lights tossed into a box last year - though, work is being done to help things.

Rather than start a project where you just convert from one language to another (and inherit all of its problems) .. it might be better to just
redesign the system from the ground-up.

Either case involves learning the entirety of the system so an achievable goal can be set.

Compilin' Dirty