Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:19 PM
Tekton
Fire Beetle

Default Partway through Old Install Guide, Want to Use New Automated Process

Hello all,

This is my first time posting after deciding to try installing this server. Somehow I found my way to the setup guide found on xxxxxxxxx, and completely missed that Akkadius had a more automated process on the front page here. Now I'm about halfway through the old setup process, but thought maybe given my complete lack of experience with servers or code manipulation, maybe I should try the automated installer instead.

My questions for the forum would be, should I uninstall EVERYTHING I installed going through the first half of the old setup guide (all the programs like MySQL, GIT, AVN, etc, along with all the assets, database files, etc.) before trying to run the new, automated guide? Do I need to go into my path and delete all the entries that were added during this process, or will the automated installer just overwrite any information that is redundant in the path?

I also wonder if the new installer will force me to install the game onto a specific drive, or if I can set the drive destination for the installs? My C Drive is a SSD and I'd prefer to keep that open for my newer game installs, and was hoping to install everything EQ related (including all the necessary software packages) to an older platter drive with a lot more storage space on it.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by joligario; 04-22-2021 at 10:13 PM.. Reason: Wiki deprecated
Old 05-16-2016, 02:03 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekton View Post
Hello all,

This is my first time posting after deciding to try installing this server. Somehow I found my way to the setup guide found on xxxxxxxxx, and completely missed that Akkadius had a more automated process on the front page here. Now I'm about halfway through the old setup process, but thought maybe given my complete lack of experience with servers or code manipulation, maybe I should try the automated installer instead.

My questions for the forum would be, should I uninstall EVERYTHING I installed going through the first half of the old setup guide (all the programs like MySQL, GIT, AVN, etc, along with all the assets, database files, etc.) before trying to run the new, automated guide? Do I need to go into my path and delete all the entries that were added during this process, or will the automated installer just overwrite any information that is redundant in the path?

I also wonder if the new installer will force me to install the game onto a specific drive, or if I can set the drive destination for the installs? My C Drive is a SSD and I'd prefer to keep that open for my newer game installs, and was hoping to install everything EQ related (including all the necessary software packages) to an older platter drive with a lot more storage space on it.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
The biggest thing you should make sure you do is uninstall Perl and uninstall MySQL.

Remove MySQL from your path system variables and then run the automated installer here:

https://eqemu.gitbook.io/server/

Whether or not you choose to uninstall other things is completely up to you

Last edited by joligario; 04-22-2021 at 10:14 PM.. Reason: Wiki deprecated
Old 05-16-2016, 02:18 PM
Tekton
Fire Beetle

Thank you Akkadius for the prompt reply. Could I trouble you just a little more and inquire whether the auto-installer is going to give me a choice as to which hard drive everything installs to? I'd hate to start installing everything to my C drive and then realize I don't have enough room on it.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:31 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekton View Post
Thank you Akkadius for the prompt reply. Could I trouble you just a little more and inquire whether the auto-installer is going to give me a choice as to which hard drive everything installs to? I'd hate to start installing everything to my C drive and then realize I don't have enough room on it.
It installs MySQL and Perl on the system drive, so if that is your C drive then that is where it will install those programs.

As far as where the server folder resides, it will install the server wherever you put it. So if you launch the installer in say E:\some_folder\ that is where it is going to put all of the server assets.

Database still gets stored with MariaDB which will be under Program Files\

Perl will be referenced under C:\Perl

Does that help
Old 05-16-2016, 03:06 PM
Tekton
Fire Beetle

Yeah, I think that's exactly what I needed to know. I'll give it a try and check back in if I have any problems. Thanks again for your time.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:02 PM
Havenbrook
Fire Beetle

Man i wish i found this last night. Been pulling my hair out with the old guide. Thinking about scrapping all my progress and attempting this. I just get my server crashing right now, no idea where i went wrong, maybe the maps or something.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:20 PM
Havenbrook
Fire Beetle

"MySQL Path not found, please add the path for automatic database upgrading to continue..."

This is the environmental variables right? C:\Perl\site\bin;C:\Perl\bin;C:\xampp\mysql\bin;C: \Program Files\TortoiseSVN\bin
This is what i have in there. What am i doing wrong?
Old 05-25-2016, 02:26 PM
Havenbrook
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkadius View Post
The biggest thing you should make sure you do is uninstall Perl and uninstall MySQL.

Remove MySQL from your path system variables and then run the automated installer here:

Whether or not you choose to uninstall other things is completely up to you
"MySQL Path not found, please add the path for automatic database upgrading to continue..."

This is the environmental variables right? C:\Perl\site\bin;C:\Perl\bin;C:\xampp\mysql\bin;C: \Program Files\TortoiseSVN\bin
--
After reading your post, i removed this varible and is still is giving me the same response. :(

Last edited by joligario; 04-22-2021 at 10:15 PM.. Reason: Wiki deprecated
Old 05-25-2016, 02:36 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havenbrook View Post

--
After reading your post, i removed this varible and is still is giving me the same response. :(
Instructions say that you need a clean install for this to work.

xampp is not part of this installer.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:38 PM
Havenbrook
Fire Beetle

Quote:

You are very much correct, I am uninstalling all that stuff as if it were "clean" as close as i can get, I have removed everything ive been able to find manuelly also. The only thing I cant remove is C:\Program Files\MariaDB 10.0, but not sure if that matters.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:44 PM
Havenbrook
Fire Beetle

Quote:

Any advice on how to correct all the things i installed. Im running this on a windows server 2012. Id like to get this working with out having to do anything crazy, as i do have other servers that run off this blade. I did what i said in previous comment, but it spammed me 1% about perl. so i installed it manuelly to see what would happen, and now we are back to

-Edit-
Got everything uninstalled to the best of my abliltiy now. No mysql, no maria, no xaamp, no perl. I run the bat as admin.

Administrative permissions required. Detecting permissions...
Success: Administrative permissions confirmed.
################################################## #######
#::: EverQuest Emulator Modular Installer
#::: Installer Author: Akkadius
#:::
#::: EQEmulator Server Software is developed and maintained
#::: by the EQEmulator Developement team
#::: Everquest is a registered trademark
#::: Daybreak Game Company LLC.
#::: EQEmulator is not associated or
#::: affiliated in any way with Daybreak Game Company LLC.
:
#::: To be installed:
- Server running folder - Will be installed to the folder you ran this script
- MariaDB (MySQL) - Database engine
- Heidi SQL (Comes with MariaDB)
- Perl 5.12.3 :: Scripting language for quest engines
- LUA Configured :: Scripting language for quest engines
- Latest PEQ Database
- Latest PEQ Quests
- Latest Plugins repository
- Automatically added Firewall rules
- Maps (Latest V2) formats are loaded
- New Path files are loaded
- Optimized server binaries
Installing Perl... LOADING... PLEASE WAIT...
The system cannot find the path specified.
.pl=Perl
Perl="C:\Perl\bin\perl.exe" %1 %*
Installing MariaDB (Root Password: eqemu) LOADING... PLEASE WAIT...
'setx' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Perl Version is 5.12.3
MySQL path not found, please add the path for automatic database upgrading to co
ntinue...

script_exiting...
Press any key to continue . . .

I certainly hope to hear from you about this.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:11 PM
Havenbrook
Fire Beetle

Quote:

http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/sho...4&postcount=13 also have tried this and it did not work.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:22 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havenbrook View Post
http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/sho...4&postcount=13 also have tried this and it did not work.
That is the repack, not the installer.

Once again, you need a clean install of Windows for this installer. I don't know how else to put that.

If you want to fiddle with your computer doing custom things then follow the windows setup guide.

Last edited by joligario; 04-22-2021 at 10:16 PM.. Reason: Wiki deprecated
Old 05-25-2016, 03:28 PM
Havenbrook
Fire Beetle

Quote:

Once again, you need a clean install of Windows for this installer. I don't know how else to put that.

If you want to fiddle with your computer doing custom things then follow the windows setup guide.

OK so the it seems you have 2 guides and 2 installers then? I'm just a little confused here. Perhaps a new user account will remedy this? I'm not reinstalling my blades os for obvious reasons.

Last edited by joligario; 04-22-2021 at 10:17 PM.. Reason: Wiki deprecated
Old 05-25-2016, 04:24 PM
Havenbrook
Fire Beetle

Quote:

Is there really no way that someone cant give me the path required to make this script continue? Thats really all im asking here lol.

Last edited by joligario; 04-22-2021 at 10:18 PM.. Reason: Wiki deprecated