Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:30 PM
Ambassador_Dvinn
Fire Beetle

Default Starting with Alpha Testing of The FV Project (Progression and Roleplay Preferred)

Hey everyone,

We are taking applications for Alpha Testers for The FV Project.

www.fvproject.com/forums/

Sign up for the forums and fill out the alpha tester application if you are interested in helping test everything on the server.

What is the FV Project you ask? It is a progression server that is going to have a ruleset like the Firionia Vie on the Live Servers with the Progression aspect as well.

Goals / Rules

* Emulate parts of the Firiona Vie experience from a Classic launch using EQEmu

* Classic Experience Bonus and Penalties

* At launch only Classic will be available

* Progress through expansions as the community is capable (This will be accomplished by the downing of all of the current expansions bosses multiple times as well the community input on timeframe of next expansion launch date. With a minimum time to allow testing of the next expansion)

* Single boxing only!

* Encourage Role play, fair play, community, in-game economy

* Almost ALL loot is droppable (exceptions for Epics, Artifacts, etc.)

* Old loots active (Manastone, Pre-Nerf CoS, etc. until appropriate era corrections or expansions caused them not to drop)

* Common Tongue starts at 1 skill if you're not human--you have to learn it

* Classic Spells (IE Pets blow up when you zone, Buff level restrictions, etc)

* No OOC channel

* Auction channel only enabled in certain zones (Cities, and EC)

* Trivial Loot Code

* No In game Maps

The server is Currently in ALPHA:

Began 7 FEB 2018
Cleanup of out-of-era mobs, loots, zones underway
Organize a client, and a wiki for information
Volunteer staff is welcome--please PM for details (strict rules for Devs, don't apply unless you can work on a team)
Characters will be wiped at the close of ALPHA

* Join the Forums and fill out an alpha application if you would like the chance to bring this project to the community faster.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:29 AM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

Forums don't send activations out. Borked.

Old 04-20-2018, 11:42 AM
Ambassador_Dvinn
Fire Beetle

Default Weird shows you are active

Shows you are active.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:26 PM
Ambassador_Dvinn
Fire Beetle

Default Did Anyone else have any issues?

Anyone else have any issues?

Those that did apply will hear by April 30 and will have access May 1 2018 to alpha test
Old 04-24-2018, 08:57 AM
sunbeam
Sarnak

I hope you guys do well with this. It might work.

But you have to have some kind of plan to deal with the low populations you are just going to see on EMU servers. Obviously the different ruleset will help to some extent, but in the end the design of this game just doesn't work for a population of 30 people that aren't boxing or with some kind of extreme rule change.

Eh, I dunno. Maybe the P1999 population will get sick of the neckbeards one day, and go somewhere else. Leaving them to their Valhalla of Batphones and Cockblocking.

If you could get to a pop of like 200 people it will probably work like a well oiled machine. But not with much less of a playerbase.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:08 PM
Cusser
Sarnak

After this server gets past it's beta stage, I will look forward to checking it out. I would encourage players who were not around
back then, to experience a server like this. It can be a lot of fun, even if just to hop on it once in awhile.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:38 PM
sunbeam
Sarnak

You read what I said, but apparently didn't understand what I was driving at.

A lot of content in this game is not doable unless you have a certain population.

I've played enough EMU servers to state that two groups or so can do all the Kunark content (not sure about Veeshan's Peak though, even the "Old" version).

But then you get to Velious and you just can't do things like Temple of Veeshan or Kael Drakkal without a raid type force.

I'd go on to Luclin but you get the idea.

Now if you are content with only doing group content from Velious forward, a low population server will work. Even at that you are going to need a fairly beefy pop of unique players by EMU standards. Unless you have a "band of brothers" that is going to tackle stuff in an organized manner you really need a playerbase of about 30 to 50 people just to have the group game work.

People know all the strategies and tricks now, but there is still a lot of stuff like the Ring War and the Bracer of Benevolence quest that is hard to pull off without a group or two.

Then we get to trade skills. All the farming areas will be free, but you are still going to have to put in a ton of work to level those things up. The Earring of the Solstice alone will be an utter nightmare, without other crafters to sell stuff in the bazaar, and newbies putting all those HQ bear pelts for sale.

BTW, there are a lot more quests than people think that take fairly high level trade skills. It just wasn't a problem on live. When you have a small playerbase, and no one is really interested in taking tens of hours to level tailoring from 175 to 195 it is a lot worse.

I'm not mad or offended or anything of the sort. But I've played this game, as everyone who reads these words will have. There are certain facts of life in this game that are just not going to go away.

I think they can be gamebreakers, and eventually cause players to quit playing because there just isn't much their 55 Paladin can do solo anymore, and he needs a group to go with him to Howling Stones. Heck he can't even find a shaman who makes potions.

And eventually people also get tired of the metagame "How far can I get in Plane of Fear solo as a 60 necromancer with some Luclin era spells?

Geez. Spells. No bazaar. Anyway you get whatever picture I want to communicate. I hope these guys make it work, but most EMU servers run into this issue if they play it at all straight.