Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Development

Development::Development Forum for development topics and for those interested in EQEMu development. (Not a support forum)

Old 11-03-2008, 10:55 PM
porigromus
Fire Beetle

Default Newbie wanting direction

First I will apologize for my lack of knowledge and the inability to find a good starting place with the information in these forums. I loved EQ and would like to make it my hobby to tinker with the SQL database and also the server code itself.

Now be really patient with me because I will be completely honest here. I have absolutely no experience with programming nor SQL. What books would you guys recommended I get started with? Where would one start and could someone give me the basic layout of what I should even be studying to do this?

Thank you for your patience. Hopefully you guys can look back at a time when you knew nothing about something you had a passion to learn and forgive me for possible stupid questions. Now, I will work hard to do the things I need to do to understand the project and hopefully one day be able to add to it, modify a server, etc. Thanks!
Old 11-04-2008, 03:02 PM
Rocker8956
Hill Giant

Decent start and free
http://w3schools.com/
Old 11-05-2008, 04:21 PM
kedra
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by porigromus View Post
Where would one start and could someone give me the basic layout of what I should even be studying to do this?
C++ is used to modify the source code. Perl is used to write quests. Don't worry about these yet.

Learn MySQL. Knowing how to operate a database is crucial.

Try following this guide: http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka...ka=ws992mysql5

When you get to quests, this will help you a lot: Quest Tutorial

Good luck!
Old 11-05-2008, 08:34 PM
porigromus
Fire Beetle

Thanks so much for the guidance. Much appreciated!