Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:20 PM
nosfentora
Discordant

Default scribespells <level> broken?

Scribespells <level> seems to be broken.
Rev 649, DB rev 646
pulled & compiled today.

client says scribing spells to spellbook... and nothing happens.
tried on several characters.

bought a spell and tried scribing it, get 'unexpected error: spell id out of range'

using spells from SoF client on the server, and using SoF client.

did i miss something?
Old 06-10-2009, 03:28 PM
Randymarsh9
Dragon

Did you try scribing a normal spell? Like from a scroll?
Old 06-10-2009, 03:31 PM
nosfentora
Discordant

yep tried that after i zoned and bought a spell from a vendor.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:37 PM
nosfentora
Discordant

this was on a clean install of the database from PEQ db rev 628 + clean install of player tables + clean install of bot tables + freshly created character + SVN sql updates
Old 06-10-2009, 04:25 PM
trevius
Developer

Was scribing spells working ok for you on the last Revision you were using? Which revision did you use before this and were you using the same spells file?

Also, did you compile the source yourself, or are you using the pre-compiled binaries for Windows? Do you know if you are set to use the spells_new table or the spells_us.txt file for loading spells on the server? The default with the pre-compiled binaries is to load from the spell file, not the table (which I think needs to be changed soon to use the table as default).

Have you edited the spell file at all from the standard one that comes with SoF? If you edited it, there is a chance that something got messed up. If you used the Ailia/Bleh editor to edit it, it will mess up SoF spell files, since it is only designed to work with Titanium spell files. You can still use the ailia/bleh editor, but if you do, you have to import the file into the database after you edit it and then export it back out of the database so it has all of the required fields for SoF. Otherwise, it will cause major issues and probably crash your SoF client.

Have you tested the server using a Titanium client to see what happens?

Last, I did make a few recent changes to how the spell are loaded to the player profile for SoF, but they shouldn't cause any problems. One thing I changed was to increase the amount of spells that can be stored in your player profile from 400 to 480 since SoF now has a 60 page spell book as apposed to the 50 page spell book in Titanium. Another thing I changed is that I found the player profile structure for SoF had the spellbook field off by 2 spells, which was causing the first 2 spells in your book to not show up after zoning, which made them unusable. That is now fixed and neither of those changes should be causing the problems you are seeing. I am running R646 on Storm Haven and it works just fine.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:38 PM
nosfentora
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevius View Post
Was scribing spells working ok for you on the last Revision you were using? Which revision did you use before this and were you using the same spells file?
tbh i haven't tried scribespells in quite a while. i accidentally cleared out my db *and* trashed my backups today so i figgured it'd be a good time to start from scratch....

Quote:
Also, did you compile the source yourself, or are you using the pre-compiled binaries for Windows? Do you know if you are set to use the spells_new table or the spells_us.txt file for loading spells on the server? The default with the pre-compiled binaries is to load from the spell file, not the table (which I think needs to be changed soon to use the table as default).
Yep, compiled 'em myself - been doing that since we started with the 1129RevXXX. Haven't touched the source, so if the default is loading from spell file, it's loading from the spell file. Using the spell file from the SoF Client on both the server and the client. (what's the change to pull from the database? i can try that and re-compile)

Quote:
Have you edited the spell file at all from the standard one that comes with SoF? If you edited it, there is a chance that something got messed up. If you used the Ailia/Bleh editor to edit it, it will mess up SoF spell files, since it is only designed to work with Titanium spell files. You can still use the ailia/bleh editor, but if you do, you have to import the file into the database after you edit it and then export it back out of the database so it has all of the required fields for SoF. Otherwise, it will cause major issues and probably crash your SoF client.
nope - just copy - pasted the spells file from the sof folder to the server.

Quote:
Have you tested the server using a Titanium client to see what happens?
Nope - i'll give it a shot and post back.

Quote:
Last, I did make a few recent changes to how the spell are loaded to the player profile for SoF, but they shouldn't cause any problems. One thing I changed was to increase the amount of spells that can be stored in your player profile from 400 to 480 since SoF now has a 60 page spell book as apposed to the 50 page spell book in Titanium. Another thing I changed is that I found the player profile structure for SoF had the spellbook field off by 2 spells, which was causing the first 2 spells in your book to not show up after zoning, which made them unusable. That is now fixed and neither of those changes should be causing the problems you are seeing. I am running R646 on Storm Haven and it works just fine.
i'm running the R649 binaries i pulled today, everything else appears to work....
Old 06-10-2009, 04:42 PM
nosfentora
Discordant

Same thing happens in Titanium
Old 06-10-2009, 04:47 PM
nosfentora
Discordant

i did a #findspell and received the message 'spells not loaded'

an aside....
/camp seems to disconnect immediately on R649

i attempted to sell a bone chip to the necro spell vendor in gloomingdeep, and 'seemed to have misplaced that item'. all npcs became untargetable....
Old 06-10-2009, 04:52 PM
leslamarch
Discordant

Yeah I see the same problem also, I know it worked it rev 632 but it does not work now. I really dont have time to look deeper at this but just wanted to confirm it.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:55 PM
nosfentora
Discordant

Go Cheese Heads!

Thanks leslamarch .... at least I'm not crazy =)
Old 06-10-2009, 05:08 PM
leslamarch
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosfentora View Post
Go Cheese Heads!)
lol not a good year to be a packer fan :(

*edited* I'll post the results of my last test.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:24 PM
arcerean
Fire Beetle

I had to use $ulevel to get it to work,, if this is what i think you are discussing
Old 06-10-2009, 05:44 PM
trevius
Developer

To change your source to use the spells_new table instead of the spell files, just do the following:

Open /zone/spdat.h

Find this section near the top of the file around line 42:
Code:
#define NEW_LoadSPDat
//#define DB_LoadSPDat  //load from DB vs spells_us.txt. for now, we're piggybacking NEW_LoadSPDat, so it will take precedence
And change it to this:
Code:
//#define NEW_LoadSPDat
#define DB_LoadSPDat  //load from DB vs spells_us.txt. for now, we're piggybacking NEW_LoadSPDat, so it will take precedence
And then save the changes and recompile your source. That is all there is to it. All you are doing is commenting out the define to use the old spell file way and uncommenting out the define to use the new table way of loading spells instead.

nosfentora,

It sounds like your spells aren't being loaded at all by the server. Was it previously working with the SoF spells_us.txt file, or is this the first time you tried the SoF spell file. Can you try the Titanium spell file and see if it works? I know that the SoF spells work if you load them into the database, because of how the table is handled. But, since Titanium and SoF both have different number of fields in them, it might just be that the server doesn't know how to handle the extra fields in the SoF spell file. The database table is setup with all of the fields up to Live I believe, and is able to handle them all, so it works with either Titanium or SoF spell files if you import them in. PEQ should come with the Titanium spell file already loaded into the spells_new table, so if you enable it in the source, they should work automatically. But, if you are wanting to use the SoF spell file as your default spell file, you will need to use the import perl scripts to import the spells_us.txt from SoF into your spells_new table.

arcerean,

I believe they are referring to the #scribespells command, which does take a level argument. You are referring to the quest command quest::scribespells($level), which was changed a long time ago.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:38 PM
joligario
Developer

Are you on a GM character when you /camp? It will automatically disconnect.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:46 AM
nosfentora
Discordant

Quote:
Are you on a GM character when you /camp? It will automatically disconnect.
yep - that'll do it.

I'm trying the titanium spell files first - we'll see what happens. I'll try with Titanium client and SoF client.

Edit: I tried w/ the titanium spell set and the same thing on #findspell - spells not loaded.
Trying to compile w/ loading spells from db.