Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Development

Development::Development Forum for development topics and for those interested in EQEMu development. (Not a support forum)

Old 07-14-2009, 08:14 PM
trevius
Developer

Default Multiple Clients Spell File Restrictions

I figured I should mention this here, since it will probably require an eventual change. Since we know that Titanium limits it's client to only be able to load up to 9999 as the max spell ID, and SoF has a much higher limit (or maybe no limit at all), there can be issues if trying to use spells added after Titanium came out. This mostly only applies to servers that would want to use the newer spell files or spells for players over level 70. Since casting spells on a client that doesn't have a spell file with that spell ID on it can cause fairly major bugs for them, I think we can put in a simple work-around for it.

My suggestion is that we restrict spells with an ID higher than 9999 from being cast on a client that is Titanium or lower. We could probably even still give them the effects of the spells (detrimental or beneficial) on the server-side, but just not send them a packet to tell them they were buffed/debuffed. This isn't ideal, but it is better than causing weird stuff on the client. I may need to do further testing to verify a change is needed, but I am pretty sure it would be. I don't think it would be hard to do a client version check if the spell ID is > 9999 to decide if the client should be sent the packets or not.

Starting this thread in case others have input that might help decide the best plan to take for this, if any. If this work-around sounds like a good option, I will try to look into getting it added where-ever that might need to go.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:41 PM
steve
Discordant

I appreciate the work, but at some point, I think people need to realize they will be expected to use the SoF client if they want to continue using the latest and greatest.

Don't spend too much time with workarounds for something that will (should?) eventually not be needed any longer.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:57 PM
trevius
Developer

Even if only a few people are still running Titanium at some point, as long as we are going to support, it, we should try make them work well together. The only thing I know of that we can't make work perfectly between the 2 clients are item links and that is due to the hash that each client sees, since SoF has 5 more chars in the hash so it sees Titanium links as missing the first 5 chars. Everything else should have fixes or work-arounds in place to make the clients play as nice as possible together. The work around for models over 473 on Titanium or older is to just force them to show up as normal humans, so you don't see the frozen naked human for them. That is a nice fix for having Drakkin races on a server with Titanium players and was fairly simple to do.

Titanium players will be around for a long time to come, I am sure. People are slowly making the change, but probably 90% or more are still using Titanium. I've kinda been wanting to add a client version check to the admin webpage tool so when we list the players on the server, it shows what client they are using. That would be some cool info to have just for reference and to get an idea of how popular the SoF client is getting.

There aren't really that many things that need to be handled in an extra special way between the clients. AAs are one exception and spells are another. Most everything else is fairly minor things here and there that don't really take much thought to get put in.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:02 PM
arcerean
Fire Beetle

Is there a way to keep sof from simply logging in to a titan based server
Old 07-15-2009, 07:07 PM
trevius
Developer

If you remove the SoF_patch.conf file, the SoF client will not be able to log in at all.