Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 04-09-2019, 12:52 PM
mx4life
Fire Beetle

Default EQEmu or ProjectEQ?

I've been playing around with the EQEmu server install provided by Akka and I've come up with some missing items and broken quests that I have fixed my self in my installation. But I would really want to contribute to the community so I'm wondering if quest scripts and database contents fixes should be posted here or on ProjectEQ?

This is all on my own private server but it is installed from here with the Akka's server install.

I'm also wondering what type of code changes you guys are interested in?
I've posted some bugs (with fixed) i've found on github, but I have also implemented some more server rules that makes the server more configurable without changing the source. But those changes are not "like live server". Even thou I've made them so that if you go with default value of the rule it will behave as live.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:20 PM
c0ncrete
Dragon

Pull requests on github would likely be the fastest and most acceptable way to submit any change for server source, quest scripts, or core database.I wouldn't expect much beyond performance improvements, bug fixes, and live emulation changes to be accepted. It never hurts to keep your private deviations tracked via forks and post info and links here for the rest of the community.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:00 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

EQEmu is more of a blanket community for everything else

ProjectEQ is a sub-community of EQEmu which is focused on creating Live-Like content and EQEmu bases its database on the PEQ database

ProjectEQ is always looking for contributors and folks who want to help make the database and scripts as accurate as possible. There is nothing stopping from said individuals from contributing
Old 04-10-2019, 05:26 AM
Huppy
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkadius View Post
ProjectEQ is a sub-community of EQEmu which is focused on creating Live-Like content and EQEmu bases its database on the PEQ database
I've noticed many "newcomers", (past and present) sometimes don't realize the connection between the source code, database, quest scripts, (peqtgc), and the teams involved with the whole EQEmu project. Personally, I'd like to see a whole "about" page written up on it all, possibly written in a language everyone understands. :P
Old 04-10-2019, 06:09 PM
Uleat
Developer

Let's go with Sanskrit!

Compilin' Dirty
Old 04-10-2019, 08:18 PM
Huppy
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uleat View Post
Let's go with Sanskrit!
I had to google that one. I've never played a Erudite. I just thought it would nice if newcomers read a little more (consolidated info) of what's involved in the whole production of the project, as well as the main people behind it all. Many people who use the auto-installer, would not even see the changelogs for the source code or database, let alone understand where it all comes from and how it all comes together.
I'm not implying total transparency, but I just think it would help people understand a lot, before they ask questions or make assumptions about things they know nothing about (yet). I've even saw negative posts on other sites, by people that are so "in the dark", they think people like Rogean can be fired,
The point I am trying to make, it's kind of like sitting down in a restaurant, opening a menu, and all it says is "We have food and you don't want to know how it landed on your plate."
Old 04-10-2019, 08:58 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huppy View Post
I had to google that one. I've never played a Erudite. I just thought it would nice if newcomers read a little more (consolidated info) of what's involved in the whole production of the project, as well as the main people behind it all. Many people who use the auto-installer, would not even see the changelogs for the source code or database, let alone understand where it all comes from and how it all comes together.
I'm not implying total transparency, but I just think it would help people understand a lot, before they ask questions or make assumptions about things they know nothing about (yet). I've even saw negative posts on other sites, by people that are so "in the dark", they think people like Rogean can be fired,
The point I am trying to make, it's kind of like sitting down in a restaurant, opening a menu, and all it says is "We have food and you don't want to know how it landed on your plate."
I agree and have not had a whole lot of control over www.eqemulator.org itself.

I would really prefer to see a new landing page with easy to route resources for new-comers. Make it dead simple to understand what resources are what and divide the concerns of visibility (Player | Developer)

I'd either update the forums because they look like ass and they don't do a great job at encouraging positive engagement currently. Lots of restructuring could happen here

I'd like to see improvements LS account management is handled for recovery etc.

I'd like to see much better server listing criteria and management, giving server operators the ability to customize and put more personalization about what their server is about

I'd automate server promotions and demotions based on set criteria instead of doing it manually once in a blue moon

I'd fix the intermittent Loginserver issues yesterday

Messaging should be designed around "If I showed this to my mother, would she understand what the hell this is in a few short seconds"

Right now, the site has a lot of ambiguity in what is where and what this even is. For a long time we kind kept it this way out of the minimalistic sense for reasons of being observed by the mother entity itself, which there is less stigma around

All of this has been pretty close to my top list of priorities with my "free eqemu time", a majority has been sucked up by recent netcode issues. KLS and I have had the past few months of our major free time sucked up into that issue.

That being said, there is a plan to put some serious priority into these issues soon, I just need to get enough things at the top of our backlog freed up so we can make an update to the community and start doing some spring cleaning.

Also, keep in mind that this is also everyone else's community. You do NOT have to wait for people with special name tags to make things happen. If you want to contribute, pitch it, get it done, even if it involves suggesting things like you had today

It is my personal apologies for all of the above, I would have changed a lot of this had direct control over it. I can tweak server status's but that is about it currently

This is a players community, always has been, still is. We all contribute to this project because we fell in love with this game (And we're masochists) - and we all enjoy exercising creativity using it as an outlet in many different forms

Hopefully that helps shed some light on things, I'm happy to continue on if you have more AMA
Old 04-10-2019, 11:21 PM
Huppy
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkadius View Post
Also, keep in mind that this is also everyone else's community. You do NOT have to wait for people with special name tags to make things happen. If you want to contribute, pitch it, get it done, even if it involves suggesting things like you had today
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a players community, always has been, still is. We all contribute to this project because we fell in love with this game (And we're masochists) - and we all enjoy exercising creativity using it as an outlet in many different forms
Thanks for taking the time to write that Akkadius. The heart of the community is still there and still ticking, all it needs is a little cardio workout. A long time ago, when I wrote that manual install guide, I never did it for myself or, for that matter, to impress anyone. It was all about trying to bring something simple to eat for those who were hungry, because I agree, a community like this, is like a pot luck supper, where everyone chips in and brings something to the table, no matter how trivial. I always thought of this whole project being built on that foundation, from the ground up. I wasn't around for the beginning of this project, anymore than I was at the beginning of Everquest in 99, but in my opinion, the EQEmu has a history worth holding onto, just as much as EQ Live does. They both climbed the same mountain.
With over 8K installs showing on the github stats (windows and linux), a big percentage of them may not realize, with low appreciation, just exactly how little free time the project developers have, who's work is making that available,(past and present). I know that same player community doesn't come without the picky, impatient or even ungrateful "end users", who may expect too much from this community, but it can be difficult to get the message across to those who don't fully understand.
Once upon a time, I totally gave up on the whole "community spirit" thing, because I let the negatives outweigh the positives, but my heart is still ticking, no matter what. Then I remembered, I'm a masochist too, but with a lot more patience for people now. I may be a little brain dead with the source code, but I have other little skills I can throw into the pot once in awhile. I definately have too much time on my hands,(so my spouse tells me anyways).
As far as that netcode issue that's being worked on, it seems like one of the biggest troubleshooting hits the project has taken in a long time. You guys have a ton of knowledge and resources, so it must really be a pita of a problem to need that kind of effort right now. But the community just has to accept the fact, they have to take the bumps and lumps, just as much as the project,(in whole) does.