Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 10-12-2021, 08:45 PM
thefusz
Sarnak

Default server hosting?

Where do you guys host your servers at and apx how much is it to do so?
Old 10-12-2021, 10:48 PM
Splose
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefusz View Post
Where do you guys host your servers at and apx how much is it to do so?
I've used Hostwinds for years.. started with their VPS and eventually got into just renting a dedicated server from them.

As far as how much it costs it depends on your server I suppose. You can easily get away with hosting up to 100 players on a VPS for 30-40 bucks. There have been many optimizations made to EQEmu over the years.

The main thing I like about having your own hosting is that you can use it for other things as well.. at the moment I have some cloud software that I can save music, photos, pretty much anything I want.
Old 10-12-2021, 11:14 PM
Shin Noir
Legendary Member

If you're just starting off, chances are if you have an extra computer lying around, you can host an eqemu server on it, forward ports with your local ISP, and just use that for a good chunk of time. Until you get a significant population there's no real need to get a big cloud server or anything.

I know Akka hosts some eq servers for folks around here, unsure if he's open for more folks, but if you're not very tech saavy it can be a good deal.

If you are tech saavy, you have a number of options.. the biggest issue you typically hit with any cloud servers is the cost of RAM, bandwidth and cpus for uptime of a server.. If you can go custom and limit the number of concurrent zones up (or let zones go to sleep), you can get away with some pretty low profile instances that aren't as costly (~10-20 per month).

You can even host eq on a lightsail instance of AWS if you only plan to have a couple zones up.

Population normally impacts performance more due to everyone spreading around and spinning up endless zones, each one eating up RAM it'll add up.

Anyways, bottom line is probably just start by hosting on your own PC, and once the population gets to be significant you can go basically any route you're most comfortable with.

~Shin Noir
DungeonEQ.com
Old 05-18-2022, 03:24 PM
chrsschb
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ite95819 View Post
If you do go the custom server route, a cloud hosted system can be costly in the long run. Tech savvy or not, you'll have to get the system built and configured at the OS level, network setup, and then the eqemu server built after the underlaying infrastructure is set up. It might be useful to work with a tech expert unless you have the abilty to take care of it. You'd probably be looking at around $5000 for the initial hardware. I found some more info on the web about Server costs if you're interested.
The fuck are you smoking? No one around here needs a $5000 server to host EQ.

A simple VPS for $20-100/mo will cover 99.99% of use-cases.

Edit: This is probably a bot lol

Last edited by joligario; 05-19-2022 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: remove quoted hyperlink