Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:18 PM
djstaid
Fire Beetle

Default Quick question about non server play

So I have been reading about this for most of the work day (as I get a chance) and I have a few quick questions about this...

From what I understand, I am able to install the Titanium version of EQ and then use EQemu to play this as a single player game? I am interested in playing on a non-live server, but I thought it would be cool to mess around with the game in a single player mode for a little bit.

If that is the case, where does it store all of your characters and etc? On your machine in a folder?

Am I able to use the GM commands if I play it just on my machine? Basically it would be like a single player version of EQ that I can just mess around on and be pretty much god.

I created an account through here and I saw how you have to update some files so it does not patch through Sony... but I think I might be missing something.

It would be amazing to be able to play this again without having to deal with Sony's crap. I am so glad I found this... I tried finding the answers to my questions so I apologize if this has been posted previously.

Thanks guys!!
Old 01-28-2009, 03:32 PM
djstaid
Fire Beetle

looks like I missed the post just below somehow... I think I have what I need.

Has anyone successfully had this running on their machine for single player or LAN play?
Old 01-28-2009, 03:32 PM
leslamarch
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by djstaid View Post
From what I understand, I am able to install the Titanium version of EQ and then use EQemu to play this as a single player game? I am interested in playing on a non-live server, but I thought it would be cool to mess around with the game in a single player mode for a little bit.
Its not really for the most part a single player game, but it can be. There are a group of server on a universal login server "kinda like" live is setup.
Or you can go the minilogin route and set it up for play at home.
See here and here is a repack that makes life with minilogin a bit easier.

Quote:
If that is the case, where does it store all of your characters and etc? On your machine in a folder?
everything is stored in mysql database .

Quote:
Am I able to use the GM commands if I play it just on my machine? Basically it would be like a single player version of EQ that I can just mess around on and be pretty much god.
yes if you choose too.

Quote:
I created an account through here and I saw how you have to update some files so it does not patch through Sony... but I think I might be missing something.
Read this for starters

Quote:
It would be amazing to be able to play this again without having to deal with Sony's crap. I am so glad I found this... I tried finding the answers to my questions so I apologize if this has been posted previously.

Thanks guys!!
amen!
Old 01-28-2009, 03:39 PM
unknownhost
Sarnak

So I have been reading about this for most of the work day (as I get a chance) and I have a few quick questions about this...

yup, or play one of the many servers hosted by others (of MANY types and designs, some livelike, others not.)

yup! stores everything in a mysql database on your pc (if its your server you are playing on)

Yup! easiest way would be to set up a portable EqEmu server (which by default will be setup for a solo/offline server.

think the porta-server setter-upper might setup your titanuim client for login but not 100% sure. ether way theres several walk throughs here (check the wikki!), try them then ask if you run into snags and search doesnt turn up the fixes. heres link for setting up client btw if need. Set Up Titanium Client

Thanks guys!!

welcome to the fold! best advice i can give is.... always search at least 5 different ways on forum AND wikki (or more!!!) before asking any question in the forums. some folks get 'miffed as the same ol' question get asked 1000 times a month. and perhaps most importantly, dont get discouraged! theres a million little problems that can happen but they are all fixable. just takes time, knowledge, and dedication!
Old 01-28-2009, 03:44 PM
leslamarch
Discordant

unknownhost,
Don't ya just hate it when the other guy hits "submit reply" just a few seconds faster than you
unknownhost
Sarnak

lmao, guess i took a lil too long typing that out eh Lesla.
djstaid
Fire Beetle

Yea I understand that completely. I have been searching on this all day as I get a chance. I think I found what I need and leslamarch hooked it up big time too.

You have no idea how excited I was to find this! Now me and my friends that played EQ back in the glory days can run a game once a week to relive a bit of that good ol' EQness.

I appreciate the help
Old 01-28-2009, 03:46 PM
leslamarch
Discordant

Quote:
Yea I understand that completely. I have been searching on this all day as I get a chance. I think I found what I need and leslamarch hooked it up big time too.

You have no idea how excited I was to find this! Now me and my friends that played EQ back in the glory days can run a game once a week to relive a bit of that good ol' EQness.

I appreciate the help
some other very useful info can be found here, Angelox Does great work, so make sure to check that out.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:52 AM
djstaid
Fire Beetle

I just wanted to let you guys know that I got it working last night. I have some more questions now, but I am going to research and see what I can find here on the forums.

Les, I used your repak and it worked like a charm. Took me a little while to figure out exactly how to use it, but once I got it up and running it was awesome.

I am running into the Nektulos map that "is not" there problem and even followed your instructions on renaming the map to .old in the Sony\EQ directory and that did not help. So I gave up on that and just created another character somewhere else.

I was able to give myself GM permissions and warp to zones, summon equipment and kill & heal myself. (this is the first time I was able to solo Cazel lol)

I did see where you can edit loot tables and such to modify item and coin drops, but I am still trying to figure out how to get it to take effect. I am also trying to figure out where I can modify the server wide experience modifier to help level a bit faster.

My goal is to end up running a once a week group with my buddies that all were in the same guild back in the golden age of EQ. So I think that I am on my way.

Thanks so much for all the hard work and time put into this. I was amazed that it actually worked and worked well with few bugs.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:08 PM
leslamarch
Discordant

Quote:
I am running into the Nektulos map that "is not" there problem and even followed your instructions on renaming the map to .old in the Sony\EQ directory and that did not help. So I gave up on that and just created another character somewhere else.
Just do a double check to make sure you renamed the right file, there are several that start with nektulos---"nektulos.eqg" is what you want

Quote:
I did see where you can edit loot tables and such to modify item and coin drops, but I am still trying to figure out how to get it to take effect. I am also trying to figure out where I can modify the server wide experience modifier to help level a bit faster.
You will have to reboot the server for it to take effect. Make sure your selecting the right database, the repack comes with 2 versions. Now to change the EXP, select the tools drop down -> then heidiSQL, use the username and password from the popup, now select the database of your choice. Scroll down rule_values and click it, on the top right click data tab.
All of these option change game play, but your looking for "Character:ExpMultiplier" and just change the value to what you think.

I hope this helps to get you on your way
leslamarch
Old 01-30-2009, 01:53 PM
djstaid
Fire Beetle

Hey Les,

I went home last night to try some things out and it seems as if I can not get EQ to run now. Now that being said, I am going to try and explain this as best as I can.

To start this off I have been reading a ton on this thread and I think there are a couple things I can try.

Basically, I installed your package (the 1-24-09 one) and was able to get it running after messing with it for a while. To be honest, I am not sure exactly how I got it to work, but it ended up running just fine that night. I shut down the machine and then when I booted it back up, it wont work anymore.

Now when I go to start the mysql server on the gui I get the quick flash of a black screen which is normal, but everytime I try to run any of the utilities, i get an error about how it can not find a mysql server running. I forgot to take screen shots (I apologize for that), but the errors were that it could not connect to MySQL. I made sure to restart the MySql service and that did not work either.

After reading the post (linked above) I think I need to make sure that the W drive is being mapped. I did try to uninstall the repak and then reinstall it, but that did not work. So I messed with it a little bit last night and got frustrated so I gave up.

So when I get home today I am going to uninstall everything and then make sure that there is no trace left, then reinstall it all again and check for the W drive.

Couple of questions on a few things that I was not clear on...

When using that newest repack, Do I need to download and install Perl or MySql? I have never used these before so I am not familiar on how those work. I thought that could be an issue and I actually install MySql and GUI tools from the site (sorry no version number since I am at work), I think it was version 5. something... not the beta release of 6 though. I also installed Strawberry Perl?? I was not sure which one to install as far as that goes either... and I think that may have broken something too.

From all the reading that I have done over the past couple of days, I am under the assumption that I just need your Repack and some maps to run the game locally on my lan?

Also, the difference between the AX classic and the PEQ is that the AX one is old school EQ right? With the boats and old mobs/zones? I would then believe that PEQ is a newer version?

I know you guys field a ton of questions on this and are constantly working on making it better, so I apologize if I am being an annoyance. I know I am close to getting to to work. I do appreciate all the info and help you have given so far.

I will get screenshots & logs (if I can find them) and all the jazz so I can post it here for ya.

Thanks again!
Old 01-30-2009, 02:38 PM
leslamarch
Discordant

Quote:
When using that newest repack, Do I need to download and install Perl or MySql?
Nope infact installing mysql will break the repack, you do not need perl installed either. Just like you read, you will only need the maps and your set.
Quote:
From all the reading that I have done over the past couple of days, I am under the assumption that I just need your Repack and some maps to run the game locally on my lan?
Correct!

Quote:
Also, the difference between the AX classic and the PEQ is that the AX one is old school EQ right? With the boats and old mobs/zones? I would then believe that PEQ is a newer version?
AXClassic Db is focused mostly on old world zones but many others also, and PEQ tries to stay as live like as possible. Both DB's have a ton of hard work put into them, Cant give them all enough thanks for this.

After you uninstall everything, then reinstall just the repack. I want you to click the start mysql button, if you get an error at this point please make a note of it. If no error then go to my computer and look for drive W, if you see it that's good. Just try and go through steps I have detailed in the link you posted, and when an error occurs please note the error and what part of the process you are at. We will see if we can get this going for ya.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:50 AM
djstaid
Fire Beetle

Thanks again for all your help Les... I have this working perfectly now. I just made it more complicated than it was.

I appreciate all the help!