Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::Support > Archive::General Support

Archive::General Support Archive area for General Support's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 10-08-2004, 02:49 AM
Since1874
Fire Beetle

Default Newbie...could use some help with setup

Hi, as the title says, I am a newb and have no idea what I am doing.

I followed the new guide at http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17658 and I registered a new account from the eqemu main page, but when I click the shortcut and login I see all of the EQLive servers. My user/pass is the same as my EQLive user/pass to help me keep my sanity, so it appears that I managed to login to sony's servers via the eqemu login server (I rechecked my eqhost.txt file afterwards and it was still set to the 5994 login server). I then created a second account from the eqemu main page with a different user/pass to see what happens...nadda...I can't login.

What am I doing wrong? Any help would be much appreciated.

-since
Old 10-08-2004, 04:06 AM
animepimp
Dragon

Make sure your eqhost is correct and has only one entry for the emu servers. Then set it to read only because if you don't the game appends Sony's info to the end and the game always uses the last entry.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:25 AM
Since1874
Fire Beetle

My eqhost.txt file is exactly the same as the one in the guide, and I set it to read-only as well. I don't think it matters that much though since the shortcut never opens the patcher.... I must be missing something obvious though since no one else seemed to have this problem :(
Old 10-08-2004, 09:16 AM
Derision
Developer

Default Re: Newbie...could use some help with setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1874
My user/pass is the same as my EQLive user/pass to help me keep my sanity
While not directly related to the problem you are having, setting you EQEmu userid and password to the same as your EQLive userid/password is unwise.

This board was hacked a while back and the md5 password hashes compromised. There has since been a separation of the board/server accounts and passwords which makes things more secure, but you should still be cautious and use a different userid/password here than you do on EQLive ....
Old 10-08-2004, 10:34 AM
Since1874
Fire Beetle

Yea, thought about that as I was posting it....promptly changed my EQLive password, although I still have the same user name. Once I did that, I could no longer login using my EQEmu user/pass, which once again confirms that I am somehow logging into EQLive via the EQEmu login server on 5994. AAAAGHHH!!

-since
Old 10-08-2004, 10:37 AM
Kruzayn8
Fire Beetle

Default re

make sure u are using eqgame.exe patchme for the short cut and not everquest.exe patchme, since if i use the latter, you will patch and it will replace your eqhost file so u log into live.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:46 AM
Derision
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1874
I am somehow logging into EQLive via the EQEmu login server on 5994.
This is 100% impossible. The EQEmu login server has no connection whatsoever with the Sony login servers. All I can think is that you created a new eqhost.txt in the wrong directory (folder).

Do you have a separate folder for your EQLive and EQEmu client ?

E.g. If you copied your EQLive client folder to c:\EQEmu, make sure your shortcut properties has:

Target: C:\EQEmu\eqgame.exe patchme
Start In: C:\EQEmu

If the 'Start In' still points to your EQLive folder, it will use the eqhost.txt from there, not from your 'C:\EQEmu' folder.

I.E. Make sure the 'Start In' field points to the folder where you have edited your eqhost.txt to point to the EQEmu login server.
Old 10-08-2004, 05:29 PM
Maleficarum
Fire Beetle

Default ...

I get this same problem. It asks for user name / password and EQ live says it's invalid. However, I did get it to work one time, but I got the timeout error and went and updated the patch. Now I can't get back on.

eqhost.txt file is correct and read-only.

I don't even have an EQ live account any more, so this is a fresh install with patch.

It just doesn't want me to reconnect to the eqemu servers I guess =/

~Maleficarum
Old 10-10-2004, 09:41 AM
Since1874
Fire Beetle

Sorry I didn't get back sooner, but I was camping this weekend. Anyways, I checked my shortcut and sure enough it was still pointing to my EQLive directory, doh :(

Thanks for the help.

-since