Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:55 PM
knowom
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak48 View Post
You could do something like if you die you get a penalty that can only be removed by killing NPCs and/or other players.
Perhaps a 5 minute penalty debuff for dieing in PVP, but it could also be removed by killing a player or through killing certain NPCs that might require multiple players. That would probably be a very reasonable not overly severe middle ground.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:45 PM
rhyotte
Hill Giant

I have been kicking around server ideas for a few months now...

One idea I had is: Giants Vs. Dragons, this story never really concluded. Once you land in EQ at level 1 with zero experience, you find yourself by a Priest of Discord. You have a choice, Ally with Giants, or Ally with Dragons.
--( If Giants, then teleport to Kael Drakkal )
--( If Dragons, then teleport to Sky Shrine )

The old armor quests to be revamped, but the flavor of the quests kept. Good bit of faction you need to earn for quest turn-ins right? Kill critters for very small faction "hits", or kill players and / or mobs in contested "hot spots" for considerably higher factions hits, and the mobs in those contested spots can drop appropriate quest pieces at an increased rate.

Another idea I had is deity related to class type and progression...

You have some cool ideas kicking around here. Now if I can just find a bit more time.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:51 PM
Silentrath
Fire Beetle

I like where this thread is headed, I love all different inputs from others as I still sculpt the server together to exactly figure out the direction I want to take.

Opinions on bots? 1 bot each? no boxing? Just curious what everyone thinks
Old 07-08-2015, 12:32 AM
rhyotte
Hill Giant

Given that I am not entirely sure how much I can invest in my own server....

--- No bots
---(2) box limit.
--- Classes to be re-focused and "beefed up" a bit, but to remain complex in play. E.G. I once knew a Bad ASS Paladin... dude took playing his class very serious. In the right hands, a class should really shine, but Only in the right hands. Different strokes for different folks!
-^ (a)_ :: No Berzerkers, No Beastlords... Re-Concentrate on the original classes. E.G. Ultimate Pet Class should be an Enchanter!! Think about it a minute?! Rangers should have beasty type pets for certain "Ranger Type Spec..." choices that include deity and race. Some Rangers will spec out in Ranged damage, some Pets, while others will be Melee...see where I am going with this?
--- Level 46 starts AA's, Max level 72
--- Elemental Planes come first in planar progression. Deity derived planes are for Hard Core Mode, and thus come after the Elemental planes. This includes Plane of Hate, and Plane of Fear, which would be revamped accordingly...
--- Heavily revamp spells into a "Grey Core" // Environmental // Deity type system.
-^ (a)_ :: Grey Core is what it sounds like. A relatively simple, small core of spells each class gets that is unified across all Deities / races to get the ball rolling so to speak.
-^ (b)_ :: Environmental relates to standard quests, loot drops etc... these should be treated as "wild cards" in relation to Class development, thus kept to a relative minimum.
-^ (c)_ :: Deity is where the heavy action is. Deity heavily impacts spell types per class, and the class itself. E.G.: Not all Clerics heal the same, a Dark Elf cleric's serious heal spells are more likely to be derivative of "Blood Magic" or Taps, where as a High Elf Cleric's heavy heals would be more "Pure" in nature (and more purely defensive). So on and so forth...deity impact on class would be significant. Deity impact would also include upcoming Deity AA differences per class ...

Level 46 starts both AA, and Planar Progression...
--- The Elemental Planes are the first places you go.
-^ (a)_ :: Earth and Water are cooperative planes...quests from one might very well lead to the other, and back again etc... This includes cross flagging for zone access. You can start by entering either / or, and work towards access to the other from within the first one you enter.
-^ (b)_ :: Air and Fire are cooperative planes as above.
-^ (c)_ :: You must choose what is Major to you, and what is Minor. Do you want to major in Earth and Water, or Air and Fire? You can go to all 4 of course, but you will quickly have to choose which Quest Series // Conquer path will be primary to you.
--- Giants Vs. Dragons...:: Somewhere in the midst of all this, you have the titanic struggle of Giants Vs. Dragon Kind. This touches on deity at the absolute end of it...Avatar of War anyone? How about Veeshan? That being said, this is a _Middle_of_Norrath_ type battle ground that is chaotic, hectic, and salt of the earth flavorful! The zone "The Hole" would very much play a role in this struggle...a mysterious one at that
--- The Gods...:: When you decide you are truly Hard Core, you decide the gods themselves must bow down to you... Need I say more really?
--- Trade Skills, implement mining, and harvesting. Housing might also be super cool here as well (See Sanctuary Server Closing Thread). Gear made by high end Trade Skills should be essentially Ultimate type gear. Sure, certain God Drops will be uber rare, highly desirable, and phenomenally powerful, etc... But Trade Skilled gear actually rules at the end of the day when you are planning your next step UP in difficulty. Some of the most highly sought after drops, are for trade skills for new gear!

Lots of ideas I have been toying with for a while now...
P.S. Bring back the Corpse Recovery for Hard Core Mode...nothing like meticulously combing and developing that extra gear in the bank...for Just In Case... Also nothing like biting your nails knowing a wipe will be truly painful. Are you boy scout enough...?

Last edited by rhyotte; 07-08-2015 at 12:36 AM.. Reason: Addendum
Old 07-08-2015, 12:43 AM
Shendare
Dragon

Nice. A few of those are similar to ideas that have been bouncing around in my head.

Had the same idea about Rangers (and a few other classes) needing a pet, or at least a familiar type. Rangers should also get a Bind Sight spell for their pet, so they can see through its eyes at any time.

Each race and class should have much more self-identity, too, IMO. The various races and classes shouldn't feel like stamps of the same mold with a different paint job. Language and faction would be a much bigger deal than they ended up on Live, and basic gear and spells would be much more tailored to the race/class combo, like you've been thinking.

As far as class specs, I've been more leaning towards an offense spec and defense spec, with the ability to spec both and switch them as needed, though it would take twice as long to spec both up to max.

Fun stuff, coming up with ideas.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:19 AM
rhyotte
Hill Giant

@Shendare,

As for offensive Vs. defensive spec, a combination of deity quests, environmental tasks and / or quests could easily present "Path" choices that would lead to a high level of customization. Offense and Defense would literally be evolving as the player blazed their individual path across Norrath. The Earth / Water :: Air / Fire elemental planes are also intended to shape a players "intermediate" path choices... You choose a set of planes as primary, the other set will be secondary. This will heavily influence your Offense and Defense.

I would be glad to bounce ideas around. Being part of a new server would be nice. I am not a coder, but I can manage new items, mobs, etc pretty well. If a few of us really teamed up, we could come up with something pretty cool I do believe. The powers that be are working on extending the AA system to include Deity into the structure... this will present amazing customization possibilities!

P.S. I also have modified spells reasonably well. One aspect of my thoughts and research is in fact a fairly massive spell revamp. A lot of work, but highly rewarding.

Last edited by rhyotte; 07-08-2015 at 02:22 AM.. Reason: Add
Old 07-08-2015, 04:01 AM
knowom
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentrath View Post
I like where this thread is headed, I love all different inputs from others as I still sculpt the server together to exactly figure out the direction I want to take.

Opinions on bots? 1 bot each? no boxing? Just curious what everyone thinks
I dislike bots and boxing they take away from the games social immersion and trivialize game content through account sharing and buff bots. Both players and developers can become co-dependent on it because it grows beyond what it can realistically sustain while being developed for it with that partially in mind. If you don't have a big player base scale content more to fit the player base. Honestly I'd prefer less players sometimes being forced to challenge themselves doing content the harder and riskier way at times than just the brute force way it's a more rewarding experience especially when group balance matters a lot more. They both kill social immersion because people can more easily just go oh I can box/bot this w/o you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyotte View Post
Given that I am not entirely sure how much I can invest in my own server....

--- No bots
---(2) box limit.
--- Classes to be re-focused and "beefed up" a bit, but to remain complex in play. E.G. I once knew a Bad ASS Paladin... dude took playing his class very serious. In the right hands, a class should really shine, but Only in the right hands. Different strokes for different folks!
-^ (a)_ :: No Berzerkers, No Beastlords... Re-Concentrate on the original classes. E.G. Ultimate Pet Class should be an Enchanter!! Think about it a minute?! Rangers should have beasty type pets for certain "Ranger Type Spec..." choices that include deity and race. Some Rangers will spec out in Ranged damage, some Pets, while others will be Melee...see where I am going with this?
--- Level 46 starts AA's, Max level 72
--- Elemental Planes come first in planar progression. Deity derived planes are for Hard Core Mode, and thus come after the Elemental planes. This includes Plane of Hate, and Plane of Fear, which would be revamped accordingly...
--- Heavily revamp spells into a "Grey Core" // Environmental // Deity type system.
-^ (a)_ :: Grey Core is what it sounds like. A relatively simple, small core of spells each class gets that is unified across all Deities / races to get the ball rolling so to speak.
-^ (b)_ :: Environmental relates to standard quests, loot drops etc... these should be treated as "wild cards" in relation to Class development, thus kept to a relative minimum.
-^ (c)_ :: Deity is where the heavy action is. Deity heavily impacts spell types per class, and the class itself. E.G.: Not all Clerics heal the same, a Dark Elf cleric's serious heal spells are more likely to be derivative of "Blood Magic" or Taps, where as a High Elf Cleric's heavy heals would be more "Pure" in nature (and more purely defensive). So on and so forth...deity impact on class would be significant. Deity impact would also include upcoming Deity AA differences per class ...

Level 46 starts both AA, and Planar Progression...
--- The Elemental Planes are the first places you go.
-^ (a)_ :: Earth and Water are cooperative planes...quests from one might very well lead to the other, and back again etc... This includes cross flagging for zone access. You can start by entering either / or, and work towards access to the other from within the first one you enter.
-^ (b)_ :: Air and Fire are cooperative planes as above.
-^ (c)_ :: You must choose what is Major to you, and what is Minor. Do you want to major in Earth and Water, or Air and Fire? You can go to all 4 of course, but you will quickly have to choose which Quest Series // Conquer path will be primary to you.
--- Giants Vs. Dragons...:: Somewhere in the midst of all this, you have the titanic struggle of Giants Vs. Dragon Kind. This touches on deity at the absolute end of it...Avatar of War anyone? How about Veeshan? That being said, this is a _Middle_of_Norrath_ type battle ground that is chaotic, hectic, and salt of the earth flavorful! The zone "The Hole" would very much play a role in this struggle...a mysterious one at that
--- The Gods...:: When you decide you are truly Hard Core, you decide the gods themselves must bow down to you... Need I say more really?
--- Trade Skills, implement mining, and harvesting. Housing might also be super cool here as well (See Sanctuary Server Closing Thread). Gear made by high end Trade Skills should be essentially Ultimate type gear. Sure, certain God Drops will be uber rare, highly desirable, and phenomenally powerful, etc... But Trade Skilled gear actually rules at the end of the day when you are planning your next step UP in difficulty. Some of the most highly sought after drops, are for trade skills for new gear!

Lots of ideas I have been toying with for a while now...
P.S. Bring back the Corpse Recovery for Hard Core Mode...nothing like meticulously combing and developing that extra gear in the bank...for Just In Case... Also nothing like biting your nails knowing a wipe will be truly painful. Are you boy scout enough...?
I like the idea of utilizing the planes and elemental types that would fit in quite nicely with both factions and deities. The spells based around Deities is a cool idea monks a oddity in general, but could probably do something like self rune on feign death failure proc chance enough to help, but not be abusive and reduced mend timer depending on human/iksar the mend timer would probably be for iksar as they have a slight ac/regen boost due to race itself. The cool part about deity based spells though is it could play right into elemental hybrid deities it would be brilliant as you progress you could unlock more flexibility choices.

Perhaps EQ up through PoP, but skip Luclin entirely because it was just plain awful use some of the mobs if you want, but skip those zones please even Ssraeshza Temple I can't say I particularly liked since it had those annoying floor level tubes for some god forsaken reason rather than a much easier to utilize ladder or ramp. If you skip Berserker & Beastlord that's 14 classes in total.

Factions and balance could be somewhat tricky due to monk's only have human/iksar as options unless you include froglok and drakkin though if you can tie the faction flag toggle to deity rather than race that's a clever work around and instead you could make each race have 4 deity choices instead tied perhaps representing different elements fire, water, air, and earth instead. This would enable deity based guilds too perhaps you could even change them like Order/Chaos in UO I mean that would be neat and content could even occasionally require a specific elemental deity. Late game you might even get hybrid elemental deities which some resistance perks, but obviously presents with it twice as much vulnerability to attack. It would be cool if the server was setup where you start with one elemental type and alternate between them the 4 basic elements then progress to hybrid phase 2, 3 and 4 the last of which is to take on a mob with crazy high magic resistance that does tons of elemental damage to all 5 schools of magic resistance, but as you progress the PVP becomes gradually more FFA.

The one you originally aligned with you'd need to eventually kill to get to the 4th elemental tier phase. It could be setup as follows tier 1 classic EQ, tier 2 kunark, tier 3 velious, tier 4 planes of power and tier 5 Luclin shits and giggles if you completed the other 4 tiers just so you can screw with the other players. You could have account wide bank sharing too so if you want to revisit it on another class.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:02 AM
rhyotte
Hill Giant

I was thinking about extended Antonica, extending kunark a bit, and extending vellious a bit. Then perhaps add in plane of tranuility, and of course the elemental planes.

Drakkin and Frogloks should be included. I am thinking in terms of taking classic as the template, then extending it as a new spin.... Valdeholm etc would make a nice extension of the Giants Vs. Dragons and so forth.

Monks will likely take some serious WORK; I want monks to be the king of split pulling like they once were. One of those things where you stop and say "Damn, I really need a good monk or two to get this split..." Deity based AA can help a lot...it can be done.

I used to love the old Warrior armor quests - Centaur Crafted... re-imagine those all the way on up...
Old 07-13-2015, 12:51 AM
knowom
Discordant

I wonder if Drakkin can be made to work on Titanium client since The Serpent's Spine expansion came prior to Secrets of Faydwer.

I'd read they actually show up as humans on Titanium clients for servers that support Drakkin. I may be possible to copy over files for Drakkin from another install like from SoF or Steam free to play install to Titanium.

If everything works this would allow for all the Titanium hard coded original zones while still allowing for Drakkin to be supported which would be great.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:36 AM
knowom
Discordant

Personally I'd really like to the following things in a server. Kind of a hardcore casual fun experience. Really even w/o the faction based pvp it would be fun.

No bots/boxing/mercs
3 or 4 sided pvp factions
Permadeath style xp loss
No corpse runs all items retained upon respawn none lost for PVP either
x5/x10 quicker XP rate than normal part zone based and new/old area bonus related
AAXP would be scaled x5 higher than normal to offset the quicker regular XP rate
Level requirements and bind on equip removed from items
Half dozen/dozen group/raid difficulty scaled experience
More spawns that require more snare/fear/mez/charm/root/feign death group work in general
Alternate spells/skills/aa's variations themed on originals based on race/faction selection
More powerful fabled item versions size restricted 50% lower drop rate, but 25% better
Old 07-13-2015, 02:28 PM
Silentrath
Fire Beetle

Posting a new thread and will update it with the server features and soon it will be needing testers!