Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 03-11-2017, 02:39 AM
GRUMPY
Discordant

Well, I'm on this server right now with an RoF2. (There's a link for files in motd when you log on 1st time), I can say the experience he
indicated in his post is bang on. Whether you like it or not, haha. Cranked up a warrior and I'm having a blast
Old 03-11-2017, 09:13 AM
Demi-God

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zOTFwpA7n1M
Member of the "I hate devn00b" club.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:45 AM
mjbcb0717
Hill Giant

U shall check it out cus why not ? I'm assuming it's not really tuned for soloing ?
Old 03-11-2017, 08:43 PM
Kavanah
Sarnak

Increase xp by 2x
Increase stats 2-3x
Increase pets 2x
Scale mobs for soloing w/ merc
I hate to be pessimistic but I highly doubt you see more than 10 people logged in at once.
It needs to be a solo server. GL!
Old 03-11-2017, 09:34 PM
Secrets
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavanah View Post
Increase xp by 2x
Increase stats 2-3x
Increase pets 2x
I hate to be pessimistic but I highly doubt you see more than 10 people logged in at once.
There's a few servers that exists like this on the list. Nagafen's Lair and Visions of Grandeur.

My goal is not to target their playerbase or any other niche but to provide an experience that I feel is enjoyable. If it's not for you, it's not for you. Simple as that.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:12 AM
GRUMPY
Discordant

Quote:
And yet, another player looking for his own selfish needs in a server. But hey, Kavanah, if you can convince a server
like P99 (with more than 10 players) to do a total revamp and put up one of those disneyland servers with a magic
carpet ride to the end game and drop a low level Quarm in your lap, then you will see more of those servers created.
But until then, you are going to see a lot more servers like these in the future. Even though EQEmu is not a
preservation of any EQ era, most people creating a server are doing it with their own visions, goals and preferences.
There is already plenty of what you are looking for on the list Kavanah and if none of them suits your needs, I
wish you luck in finding out exactly what you're not seeing there.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:01 PM
jpyou127
Discordant

Awesome idea here!
Old 03-13-2017, 12:04 AM
Kavanah
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUMPY View Post
And yet, another player looking for his own selfish needs in a server. But hey, Kavanah, if you can convince a server
like P99 (with more than 10 players) to do a total revamp and put up one of those disneyland servers with a magic
carpet ride to the end game and drop a low level Quarm in your lap, then you will see more of those servers created.
But until then, you are going to see a lot more servers like these in the future. Even though EQEmu is not a
preservation of any EQ era, most people creating a server are doing it with their own visions, goals and preferences.
There is already plenty of what you are looking for on the list Kavanah and if none of them suits your needs, I
wish you luck in finding out exactly what you're not seeing there.
He asked for us to play it and give feedback. I did it very simply and voiced my concern and you're going to be an asshat and attack me? You give a stupid ass strawman argument with your a priori based on MY a posteriori. GTFO of here man. Worthless internet bully.

Also, your comparison of P99 to this server is the absolute most braindead thing I've ever seen.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:15 AM
Excuses
Hill Giant

Quote:
He asked for us to play it and give feedback. I did it very simply and voiced my concern and you're going to be an asshat and attack me? You give a stupid ass strawman argument with your a priori based on MY a posteriori. GTFO of here man. Worthless internet bully.

Also, your comparison of P99 to this server is the absolute most braindead thing I've ever seen.
I am sorry to butt into something that does not warrant a 3rd party, or another needle, but could you please tell me where he was bullying you? I am pretty concerned you think that is bullying as you were entirely rude back to him.

Please grow up.

I think the server idea is good, but a little too late. I love me some old school but i have done it quite a bit.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:51 AM
Secrets
Demi-God

Server is now migrated to new hosting (thanks Akkadius for the swift turnaround on getting something set up!) and is now in an open testing phase. This phase will last indefinitely, and the server will remain up during this time. There are no plans for wipes at this time.

This server has a discord server which you can join by visiting this link or by adding it to your list of discord servers via this link: https://discord.gg/HDrfnaG

Information about the server is also provided on discord in the #info channel, and future patchnotes will be posted in the #changelist channel. There is also a bridge to global OOC, which is one-way by design (Ingame -> Discord).
Old 03-13-2017, 09:52 AM
sunbeam
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excuses View Post
I am sorry to butt into something that does not warrant a 3rd party, or another needle, but could you please tell me where he was bullying you? I am pretty concerned you think that is bullying as you were entirely rude back to him.

Please grow up.

I think the server idea is good, but a little too late. I love me some old school but i have done it quite a bit.
He wasn't rude to him at all.

And ... Secrets is it?

Do this.

Using your intended rule set up, run a Vulak encounter. Find willing participants, zap them to 60, give them the usual gear short of NToV you see listed on the P1999 gearing lists.

Then see how many people it takes you to do it with the way you want to run the server. Same with Avatar, etc.

Dunno maybe things work different if 20 people show up with Cleric mercs, but I'm pretty sure 20 people at level 60 with that kind of gear aren't doing Vulak.

See this is the thing I'm not sure you guys (meaning everyone who sets up these kinds of servers) is getting, and it's pretty obvious.

Starting with Velious there was an order of magnitude ramp up in the hit points of these raid mobs. You can go a long way in Kunark, doing what I call 32k mobs.

But in Velious the hp's go through the roof, and you have to keep things going a lot longer. And that means a sheer number of people, particularly healers, than I think an EMU can reasonably expect to have a bout of nostalgia.

Now you might say players can't expect to do every mob in the game. Nope, sorry point is non-negotiable. I want my character to get the lovely Vulak loot I always dreamed of.

And it better be doable with the number of people that I could expect to be able to gather to try it.

And that goes for Ssra Temple, Emperor Seru, Vex Thal, and PoP up to and including Quarm.

No one wants it to be "easy." Just doable with the number of chars you can expect to be able to get involved.

And if that's not possible? Well take a look at the EMU server list. There are a number of servers that are extremely low pop, where people occasionally log on, that are locked in that Velious hold pattern. And will be for life frankly.

If you get to the 150 to 200 people the TAKP project (though they allow 3 boxing) has on, maybe you can get enough people to move in the same direction at the same time to make your vision work.

You get a fairly successful EMU server pop of 10 to 20 unique players at any one time, and it isn't going to do squat. And will see players go inactive once they hit the Velious wall.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:20 AM
GRUMPY
Discordant

Quote:
He asked for us to play it and give feedback.
Sorry, but if you've actually played on this server, you would of seen me on there. I've been on it since the box
was turned on and soloing a warrior with a tank merc, right from the get go. Bullying is not my game, but Anti-BS is.
Several of us like this server and have fun on it. But I'm not the type that would drive by a brand new restaurant,
whip my car over just to walk in and say "I'm not ever eating here". Some people do that on these forums.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:12 AM
Excuses
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
He wasn't rude to him at all.
You obviously didn't read it at all.

GRUMPY didn't deserve that blast, period.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:00 PM
sunbeam
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excuses View Post
You obviously didn't read it at all.

GRUMPY didn't deserve that blast, period.
So it's he said/he said is it?

Kavanah has exactly 2 posts on this thread.

This was his first:

"Increase xp by 2x
Increase stats 2-3x
Increase pets 2x
It needs to be a solo server. GL!"

Seems pretty reasonable to me.

Maybe you are the one who needs to go back and read that? Then Grumpy's response?

I'd actually say Grumpy is the one who should apologize to Kavanah, whose response was entirely accurate, based solely on this thread.

But since I'm rereading this thread, going back to the first page, jhiller wrote:

"And how long before you get bored of this and abandon it? I cannot believe anyone would play on one of your servers. No one's characters are safe. How many is this for you now? Any player can go back years and years ago and see all the threads of the abandoned servers you created. You just start them up, play with them a while and then either get pissed or bored of it and abandon. This is going to be like watching a rerun of "Groundhog Day" with Bill Murray."

So what's the story here? I've actually encountered this in my own EMU experience. Is this the MO?

And if it is, don't you think this needs to be known by players before they invest time (and we are all EMU players and know what "time" means) in this server?

Who the hell wants to spend time camping some mob for a Circlet of Shadows or something, then find the next day that the server has gone away?

Actually I'm aware of you get what you pay for. If someone makes a server for the first time, people like it and play, but the dev finds he doesn't have the time it really takes, or his life has changed and he can't do it anymore...

No biggie. Happens. Hope things go well for you.

But if someone starts them up, over and over, and the same pattern plays out?

That's something I want to know up front.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:08 PM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

If secrets is working here, I'm gonna make a bard.

Can we kite like ye olde days?