Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 03-11-2017, 06:50 PM
Phury
Fire Beetle

Default Forum Rules Discussion

if this was in reference to my post, I don't feel I server bashed or personally attacked anyone or even badmouthed. I feel I spoke truth and what is on the mind of many players who invested time into his server. Some of which invest a lot of money into emulator servers to see them stay alive. Kind of sad to see my post removed though!
Old 03-11-2017, 07:06 PM
jhiller
Fire Beetle

Also, if this was a reference to my post, I think the players need a voice here. Too many times we invest hours a day into a server. We hear "Hey this time it will be badass" And the story is the same. Consider it like reviewing a product on Amazon. If the server operators have the right to blatantly lie about their server, we should have the right to call them out on it. I did not do a personal attack, I was calling the server op out on his past x attempts at creating a server. I can post historical proof, it is all there in the archives. We get pissed when our characters are deleted and we have to start over again. I agree, they should have their servers go through a review process or the server accounts revoked if they have a track record like that.

For that matter, how many times did Cyratis of whatever his name was post here belittling people asking questions before he got banned? MazeEq destroys servers and does shady shit and you guys let him post here, I sense some double standards on the "inside" crew.

If it is proof you want on my post about Secrets server, if that will provide proof enough on my past post I will provide that. I do not think we need proof on Maze, hell that is all over the place. He has been banned from every server on EqEmu. He knows he is banned from all the servers, I think he enjoys it.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:47 AM
GRUMPY
Discordant

OP Gone, haha
Old 03-12-2017, 05:33 AM
GRUMPY
Discordant

OP Gone......
Old 03-12-2017, 11:23 AM
jhiller
Fire Beetle

I am saying there is bias. Others get away with it. I just do not want us opinionated people getting muffled while others get away with it.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:54 PM
NostalgiaEQ
Banned

Weird, I didn't see anything wrong with your post, you were just letting people know not to ever trust that guy, and he comes around and said in essence "Hey I can screw people over and there's nothing you can do about it" lol. EDIT: Oh hmm looks like the post I'm talking about is still up so not sure what this thread is about.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:30 PM
jhiller
Fire Beetle

Yes, the post is still up. I just do not want censoring unless it is warranted. I hope there can be a level of civility but still be able to throw our point of views around. I do not want to go against the rules, I firmly believe we need rules, otherwise we have anarchy. I do not want anarchy, just the opposite.

I do believe there is a blind eye given to members that do shady shit, just because they have been around a while. This in turn hurts the community. I read just about ever server's forum, normally I do not post. I just want to know what I am getting into when I start on a server. You start to see a pattern on some of these jokers that show up to "Help" a dying server, or a new server OP that is clueless. They come off as "helping" the server but they have no intent on actually helping. They are a cancer to this community. A few servers I really put some time into, the GM started burning out some. Instead of just taking a leave of absence he would let some of these veterans in. Well the same story every time. There goes my character, all history gone.

Just saying, someone needs to clean out the drain pipes.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:04 PM
NostalgiaEQ
Banned

So the GM gets burned out and hands the server off to someone like this? So this server wasn't originally owned by this guy? Makes sense. For me, I plan on making my server open source so if I ever decide to stop or take an absence all the player data database and everything would already be out there so the players could choose who can lead the server from there and not loose any of their player data. I plan on never stopping once I start ($100/mo business internet is doable for me even if there are no donations) but it is always good to have a contingency plan.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:08 PM
jhiller
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by NostalgiaEQ View Post
So the GM gets burned out and hands the server off to someone like this? So this server wasn't originally owned by this guy? Makes sense. For me, I plan on making my server open source so if I ever decide to stop or take an absence all the player data database and everything would already be out there so the players could choose who can lead the server from there and not loose any of their player data. I plan on never stopping once I start ($100/mo business internet is doable for me even if there are no donations) but it is always good to have a contingency plan.
Keep in mind, that may be bad for you population wise. Could you imagine what would happen if p99 let out their database? Holy hell, their population would be spread out all over the place. I cringe thinking of more than one of those.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:54 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

jhiller, no one to my knowledge deleted your post. If it was that way your posts would be deleted off of the 2002 thread. Your posts were kept up for the same reason Maze is able to speak his opinion as well. Yes sometimes they are just negative and not necessary but if we start censoring everything where is the line drawn.

There are plenty of posts that get deleted when they are flat out negative and not productive.

Yes Secrets has had many servers in the past, Secrets has also believe it or not had a lot of big game titles under his belt working with a real company developing disciplines that many are unaware about. He's running this out of his own desries, if no one chooses to play there that is what it is, but he is giving it a go.

Accusing of admins of double standards is a bit rash, I'm not sure where that comes into play.

People try projects all the time, we have that amazing freedom in this community. However, not always can people hack it, and really players have to vet into their own judgement whether or not they care their work could potentially be wasted, but that is also why preferred servers also have to be trusted as well.

There are many threads where opinions just like yours have not been touched.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:16 PM
Phury
Fire Beetle

Default hmm

So you're saying developers make servers not for people to play on but for their own will? I guess I don't understand the logic, wouldn't you be doing it for yourself and everyone else?
Old 03-12-2017, 05:18 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phury View Post
So you're saying developers make servers not for people to play on but for their own will? I guess I don't understand the logic, wouldn't you be doing it for yourself and everyone else?
I don't understand where you're drawing that conclusion, nor what your root issue is at this point
Old 03-12-2017, 08:04 PM
jhiller
Fire Beetle

I do not have an issue with you Akkadius. I think that some of the veterans around here are detrimental. You though, are a solid guy from what I have seen. When Hunter died you actually took that over and made it into something equal or better. Others around here are a train wreck.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:37 PM
atrayas
Hill Giant

What you have to understand about operating a server is that a developer has the freedom and creativity to create something that he desires. Me personally I create content I enjoy and if others enjoy it then great and if not there are other servers available for them to enjoy. Now if real life gets hectic and I can no longer operate a server then I must let it go. If no one is willing to take over then it has to come down.

So if an individual has had multiple servers through the years then that is there right within this community. Understand though that through running various incarnations of servers that people build upon this community with new ideas, scripts and ways of doing things so it is never a lost cause even if a player believes it to be. The developers, coders, server operators etc etc share allot of there info among each other so even if you believe a server has dies its ideas most likely have not so it creates a better tomorrow for eqemu as a whole.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:26 PM
NostalgiaEQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhiller View Post
Keep in mind, that may be bad for you population wise. Could you imagine what would happen if p99 let out their database? Holy hell, their population would be spread out all over the place. I cringe thinking of more than one of those.
My prediction would be eqemulator's population would double and the forums would be off the hook with activity. Open source creates renaissance.