Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 02:00 PM
GRUMPY
Discordant

I tried that outside thing today. There was ...... people out there. I got scared and ran home.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:03 PM
sculler
Sarnak

I love the idea here, but I just don't see how anyone can be expected to put the time in to build up a character when realistically, with the boxing restrictions, there will never be enough people on to do raid/higher end content.

Thoughts?
Old 03-22-2017, 05:24 PM
trentn
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculler View Post
I love the idea here, but I just don't see how anyone can be expected to put the time in to build up a character when realistically, with the boxing restrictions, there will never be enough people on to do raid/higher end content.

Thoughts?
Ditto. I have no problem grinding, but to grind and not have the ability to do end game content for that expansion and hoping for 30+ real people to level and play seems not likely.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:32 PM
GRUMPY
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculler View Post
with the boxing restrictions, there will never be enough people on to do raid/higher end content.Thoughts?
I understand your thoughts on that totally. There is probably a good portion of the casual player community who would
agree with you. It will take time to build up the population, if there is indeed an interest for a server like this. If it turns
out that there is no interest, then possibly the server wasn't meant to be. Even with boxing, there would have to be
enough players to group and raid. The only other option for a player to reach the high end content, is to convert the
server over to a "solo" server. But content is built to encourage grouping, etc., so if there is no interest in that kind of
player integration, then there really isn't any point in this server existing.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:02 PM
GRUMPY
Discordant

Something I find fascinating about this whole kind of topic, (Legit, custom, etc.) it was the first thread under this
general server discussion category in 2004. (as per this website anyway) 13 years later ......haha

http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16012
Old 03-22-2017, 09:29 PM
Excuses
Hill Giant

If players can't do endgame with another 1 or 2 players, they won't play. Nowadays servers are becoming popular for the solo experience, dulling down the content or adding box and bots to their teams.

There should be a poll somewhere on what players are after in a server, then work off that.

Keep to your guns and do what YOU what regardless of what other players want. Or take the hit and make it solo.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:01 PM
GRUMPY
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excuses View Post
Nowadays servers are becoming popular for the solo experience
You're right, it is becoming the norm in these modern EQ days. Personally, I think it's at a point where players
should just have their own 'EQ game console" at home, haha. Those MMO playing days are fading away.
The modern solo servers just give players an opportunity to have someone to talk to while playing their own
game. (or ask how to solo)

I've had my own project that I have been working on for awhile now, but this particular one is what Secrets
was doing with his own goals, so out of respect, I have no intentions of taking it in a different direction.
Myself, I love servers like this, and thats the main reason I took advantage of the opportunity to host it and
keep it up and running for those who may be interested.
Being realistic, there is nothing more special about this server, than other similiar era's. It's another PoP
server with a classic ruleset and a couple modern perks. There is other servers out there for players
to "solo their way to quarm", so I would be suprised if they haven't done it already.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:04 PM
rhyotte
Hill Giant

Servers that stay around and prove themselves available, and have dev's who listen with intent, earn players over time. This sounds pretty cool.

I missed looking for it... does this server support "mining" for various metals for blacksmithing? Shards of Dalaya I know has that, and 1 or 2 others I think. Always thought that was a pretty cool touch.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:09 PM
NostalgiaEQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentn View Post
Ditto. I have no problem grinding, but to grind and not have the ability to do end game content for that expansion and hoping for 30+ real people to level and play seems not likely.
It's called advertising. The people who created/run this have invested into it; if you like the idea the least you can do is try to spread the word, make forum posts, make youtube video's etc.

Eqemu is what you make it. Nothing more nothing less.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:17 PM
GRUMPY
Discordant

First of all, I am not out to "earn players". That's not really my reason for having this server up. If it does
develop a population, then it could be a good thing. Aside from the little perks that Secrets added to it, the
whole entire content, rules and mechanics are targeted for that 2002 era. Right now, I am giving this server
some time to see what happens and if there is no interest in the longrun, then decisions will be made about
it's existence on the public server list.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:35 PM
GRUMPY
Discordant

Also I need to clarify a common topic and how it applies to me with any server I host, now or in the future.
I realize that some people need to implement a "donation" system to help cover costs for keeping a server
operational. I can respect that, but where I live, there is a lot a red tape to go through if one doesn't want
the government on my ass when they find out. "Non profit" revenue still has to go through red tape. The
whole thing has to be registered (by law), records kept, etc. I'm not interested in that commitment, haha
It's not costing me a dime to run this server and I doubt it ever will. It's a video game to me and thats it.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:32 AM
GRUMPY
Discordant

I had just a unique, crazy idea that could, not only prove to be a happy medium for both sides of the fence, but create a
'consensus ad idem' between the "solo player" and this server.

First of all, I may not be an expert, but I do have the skills, abilities, (and creative imagination) to produce a fun box for
the "casual solo player" base to enjoy some custom content, along with all the modern amenities like buffers, porters, etc.
A server tuned more for the "destination" and not the challenge or "journey" is not hard work (for me). It's work, but it's
definately doable. Contrary to belief, I am not the sadist that wants to see a player squirm though hell levels hating it.
There isn't much point in anyone playing any game if they are not going to reap the reward of enjoyment.
But then I ask myself...... "Why ? Why would I want to ? What would be the axle of incentive to get real serious about
content built for that solo player base that may, or may not exist ? The opinions of less than 10 anonymous nicknames
on a forum is not enough to encourage me. But for those dedicated solo players that may exist, this is just how that
'meeting of the minds'
can come together.

Unlocking a Server

Many varieties of progression servers (past and present) have involved unlocking expansion content. But have you ever
participated in unlocking an entire server ? Currently I do have a funky project that I had started, but only to casually
pick away at it for several months without any intention of putting agressive development into it. Basic editing is something
I am relatively quick at so a lot of "whiteboard" work has already been done. Basics set for max level 70, unlimited IP's,
limited use of MQ2, NPC's for armor purchase, buffs, ports, etc. In keeping classic (doable) high end content but also
custom high end mobs/loot to get at with a few challenges. Soloable, but with a merc. The mercs are "finely tuned"
with stats similiar to a real player. Lots of effort being put into the cleric merc healing spells. I can't get into extensive
details right now, but I have done some footwork involving "player rivalry" with a twist. (think "Sleeping with the Enemy")
Honestly I never put serious thoughts into that project until now. It's only been one of those "take a break from
this, and do that" things. Experimenting with creative possiblities was the only reason I continued picking away.

Now, for me to get more serious about it and go hard on development with intentions of catering to the "solo" public,
there would definately have to be a concrete interest which is too hard to predict based on a few forum posts.
I have nothing to lose, nothing to gain and nothing to prove to anyone. I am someone who is normally dedicated
to any tasks I choose to tackle in life. Failure only means you gave up after a mistake or bad decision. I make bad
decisions sometimes and I make mistakes. But I do not practice failure. I rely on instincts and a very perceptive mind.

To the solo players who seek a solo server for so long, if your gaming mind is looking at a server like EQ2002 but you
would rather have that type of server I described above, it's real simple to unlock that server. Get a bunch of people
together, crawl onto EQ2002. There is one simple item to loot. It's a custom scroll note. Kill the mob, loot the note
and tell me what that note says. That's all there is to it. You and your friends would gain my respect and in return, I
would bust my butt getting that custom server up for you, as well as getting all the necessary input of what could help
you enjoy that new server more. But until then, I will not help you loot that note. There will be no flexibility at all
on EQ2002. You and your friends are strictly on your own with no mods from the GM.

By the way, that note you need to unlock the custom solo server ? Quarm has it. Your choice. Have a nice day
Old 03-23-2017, 08:51 AM
mjbcb0717
Hill Giant

Well that's savage and will never happen. Back to solitaire I go!
Old 03-23-2017, 09:26 AM
rhyotte
Hill Giant

/grin,

That is nefarious!
Old 03-23-2017, 10:20 AM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

I like pie.

Closed Thread