Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > OpenZone > OpenZone::Tutorials

OpenZone::Tutorials OZ, up to date Tutorials section

Old 10-15-2010, 12:35 PM
toddfx
Fire Beetle

Default Extracting zones from EQ

Hey guys,

Great work around here! I wish I had got into EQ modding during its prime. I did a good deal of The Sims 2 modding, where I was among the team to first successfully inject custom 3D models. I also did extensive vehicle modding to the GTA series which was quite fun!

Today though I have found a new project. I've been pulling EQ zone geometry from the game using the DirectX app 3D Ripper DX, and polishing it up in 3D Studio Max with some lighting and such (check my renders out here if you'd like). So far though, I have only been able to snag small sections of zones at a time using the utility.

That is, until I discovered the applications you guys have here. Using Kaiyodo's Model Viewer and the Delphi Zone Converter, I have had success in getting the geometry of a full zone into Max.

However, texture mapping is another story. In all cases so far, the models come in (through OBJ, POV, and DXF formats) with no materials applied, meaning I'd have to go in manually link bitmaps and re-apply the textures to each and every surface. This is something I do not want to have to do..I would continue using 3D Ripper DX (which pulls in fully mapped and good to go models) before I succumb to manual labor!

Furthermore, I've had limited success in retaining the UV coordinates of the models imported. The only definite success I've had in bringing in UV's are through the POV format straight from Kaiyodo's Model Viewer, but the way it displays and imports the zone geometry is quite strange (it layers all the pieces up at 0,0 rather than constructing the zone as a whole; like in this example). I like that DZone Converter actually constructs the zone, however it does not seem to retain UV's or bitmap mapping.

So now I come before you seeking advice. With all the tools and craftsmanship around here, surely there has got to be a way to get fully UV'd and textured zone models from EQ into 3DS Max, right? I see lots of traffic from max into EQ, but do you guys have any tips on going the opposite direction? I have only briefly glanced at OpenZone, but found no way to import S3D or WLD files. I also read through this thread but "VB Zone Converter" gives a "Runtime 5" error when I export to POV.

If somebody could let me know what I seem to be missing and maybe point me in the right direction, i'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks so much, guys!
Old 10-15-2010, 01:52 PM
toddfx
Fire Beetle

Well I guess all it took was for me to make some noise about it. After posting that, I went back and played with the VB Zone Converter some more and ended up getting a couple zones into Max flawlessly.

Still having problems with global_chr.s3d though..it gives an "out of range" error when I import to VB Zone Converter.

Also, I apologize for posting this in the wrong sub-forum. Major fail on my part.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:11 PM
steve
Discordant

Can you post some screenshots of what you have working so far? I'm interested in seeing it!

Kind of funny that EQ devs have no way to modify any of the zones from around release->GoD, because all of the original source files went missing. It would be awesome if you found a way to modify/import them when SOE is unable to do so themselves.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:10 AM
Sakrateri
Dragon

Heres a sample of eq zones in another game engine....

Everquest Revisited

--------------------------------------------

By the way, where was it said the original source files went missing? was this ever an official announcment somewhere?

Game Gallery

My Forums

Old 12-11-2011, 04:56 AM
rullare
Sarnak

are u plating with the really firt EQ?
Old 12-11-2011, 04:57 AM
rullare
Sarnak

if so way?
if not how gave i doing so the game looks like it?
Old 01-10-2013, 11:06 PM
pheroux
Fire Beetle

Hi todd,

From reading your posts, I understand you were successful in importing EQ zones into 3ds max?

When I run the max script generated by zone converter I get errors.

I am using zone converter 1.1 BETA. Is this the same "VB Zone Converter" you used?

I editor the part of the max script that gave errors but it layers all the peices at 0,0 and the peices have no textures.

I would really appreciate if you could point me in the right direction.

Thank you,

pheroux
Old 12-08-2013, 11:45 AM
Tyen05
Discordant

Check out this post friends

http://eqemulator.org/forums/showpos...0&postcount=19