Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:54 PM
typenamehere
Sarnak

Default New server in works, what do you want?

I am looking to start up a new server. I was previously an admin of a sever a few years back with a population over 100. I have a lot of unique ideas and plan to implement them in a fun way. In order for this server to be a success I would like some feedback/suggestions on the route to take with the server. Some things I am considering include;

1. A legit leveling server (slow exp) where boxing is disabled. This server would be solo friendly. It would also include completely unique leveling zones and quests to make it feel like Everquest1v2. There would be group content for end game drops. End came content would consist of needing about 6 players, more with a very high server population. This server would only work with a high player base.

2. Same thing as above except limited boxing (2-3). This would allow people to solo more content, however instead of needing 6 people to do end game content it would involve 2-3.

3. Server starting off close to max level (within 5 levels or so) and gaining new levels would be a very slow process or a flag. Each leveling tier would have a few different completely custom zones with custom quests.

I want to make a server that YOU think is fun. Would you like to see any/none of the above or would you like to see something completely different. Let me know what you would like to see!
Old 08-19-2014, 02:28 PM
Pyrenees
Fire Beetle

Smile

Hi typenamehere

What would I like?
A soloable server with as many expansions as possible.
By soloable I mean every Named and Boss scaled to be doable by every class as long as they have a Ton of AA's.
A 5% chance of Fabled loot dropping from their normal Named placeholders.
Over 150,000 AA choices for every Class.
Great starting gear that is free, powerful, scales with level up to max.
(Not epic tier but dang find duds and weapons).
A buff bot in PoK that gives every important buff for free.
Every Race can be Every class!
The world to have every classic and expansion zone instead of just a handful like most servers offer. (Think P1999 but soloable).

What I dont like?
No boxing, No botting, No Gm powers, No Ghostkilling or Mqing.
Since all bosses are scaled down this would be overkill and we do still want people to occasionally group for fun.

Where is the hook? What makes it soloable?
The hook is for every 1 hour you play you gain 1 free AA starting at level 1!
This means the game will start off hard like classic but based upon playing you could eventually solo every boss.

This rewards people for playing your server a insane number of hours.
You could also sell Potions that increase Regular exping and AA exping if your looking for profit, if your not looking for profit then you could add those quests or simply to a vendor for a price.

Also One day I would like to make a server just for me and my wife so allow me to throw my hat into the ring I need to learn if you need any assistance I am willing to put in some time =). Basically I pitched the server of my dreams to you just now.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:12 PM
blurman2000
Fire Beetle

Wow. I actually liked the majority of your suggestions.

Anyway, just an add-on:

I prefer bot usage. It's like micro-management on my part where I don't only farm for melee stuff but gear for every class.
Downside to this is that bots and mercs are bugged. I heard its a ton of coding to do just to fix them.

MQ usage is actually something I like to use to track mobs. However, I understand when many people feel it gives an unfair advantage.

The main point which I wanna emphasize is soloable all bosses as long as you work for it by all classes. You're not the only one who's dreaming of this too!
Old 08-20-2014, 04:45 PM
Trubles
Sarnak

Bots kill servers.

I would never allow bots lol.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:50 PM
Splose
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrenees View Post
Have fun implementing that.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:19 PM
Thorkinal
Sarnak

The use of newer zones, that's a big one for me. Boxing I can go without, prefer solo tbh. Slowing progression down with lower Xp rates is okay, one thing I don't care for is slow Xp rates with no or a lack of gear, basically I'm interested in fully custom.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:24 PM
Trubles
Sarnak

Anyways, if you would handle world building, I could do your code, and also host it for you.

I've got my server running, but it's too much for one person.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:47 PM
Silentrath
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrenees View Post
Hi typenamehere

What would I like?
A soloable server with as many expansions as possible.
By soloable I mean every Named and Boss scaled to be doable by every class as long as they have a Ton of AA's.
A 5% chance of Fabled loot dropping from their normal Named placeholders.
Great starting gear that is free, powerful, scales with level up to max.
(Not epic tier but dang find duds and weapons).
A buff bot in PoK that gives every important buff for free.
Every Race can be Every class!
The world to have every classic and expansion zone instead of just a handful like most servers offer. (Think P1999 but soloable).

What I dont like?
No boxing, No botting, No Gm powers, No Ghostkilling or Mqing.
Since all bosses are scaled down this would be overkill and we do still want people to occasionally group for fun.

Where is the hook? What makes it soloable?
The hook is for every 1 hour you play you gain 1 free AA starting at level 1!
This means the game will start off hard like classic but based upon playing you could eventually solo every boss.

This rewards people for playing your server a insane number of hours.
You could also sell Potions that increase Regular exping and AA exping if your looking for profit, if your not looking for profit then you could add those quests or simply to a vendor for a price.

Also One day I would like to make a server just for me and my wife so allow me to throw my hat into the ring I need to learn if you need any assistance I am willing to put in some time =). Basically I pitched the server of my dreams to you just now.
You are on the right track!

OP: I would love to help with a project of yours. I am totally a fan of progression and I think people like progression. But one problem with progression is, if your not in at first your "behind". Lets talk more about this with Trubles as well!
Old 08-22-2014, 07:31 PM
zeldik
Sarnak

Create 2 servers if possible a Solo,and boxing one depending on playstyle if not then

Completely soloable, or soloable until the final bosses of each expansion(interacting/helping others was half the fun of EQ)

1 IP limit per person

Buff Bot,Porter,Charm Free with HUB quest Gate to HUB,Increased stats only with Each boss kill you hand in your charm to a NPC in the HUB to be flagged then it gains stats also.

a HUB entirely custom and hassle free more than one augment fountain,etc

All features that can be supported ,Tribute,Weightless Plat,etc.

Guild Creation only done by a GM so there arent a million.

Personal Banker quest like guildbank that each character has to themselves if possible.

Diablo Style loot but limit it based upon level of mob or expansion.(Bosses of each expansion drop different loot that will be best in slot even over the diablo loot table)
Progression all the way to highest expansion emulator supports, or Custom content using mixtures throughout Norrath.

Custom/Epic Quests with reward based on class.

Multiple augment slots in equipment dropped from named only(more rewarding)
Regular Exp doesn't have to be insane but fast AA exp would be a plus.
Quests for Armor Dyes,Shrink Items,Illusions,etc
Endgame Weapons should not share graphics with other dropped weapons so players have something to show similar to how 1.0/2.0 epics were.

NO WARNING BAN/CHAR WIPE if caught warping,duping,etc

Make Platinum have a use Stat Food purchasable,healing,haste pots etc

Bazaar Yeah I like having to leave my trader online and watch my platinum rack up plus it makes people feel better when they have to buy twink items or from others instead of be handed everything.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:06 AM
shalll
Fire Beetle

I think we need another server like PEQ with a box limit.

If you had a server with a good connection, and lets say a limit of 6, and keep the game vanilla as possible. Maybe exp boost just a bit, but not to much to allow you to fly though to the end and have nothing to do. Think about longevity, people that want instant gratification will be gone within a week anyway.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:21 AM
shalll
Fire Beetle

I think we need another server like PEQ with a box limit.

If you had a server with a good connection, and lets say a limit of 6, and keep the game vanilla as possible. Maybe exp boost just a bit, but not to much to allow you to fly though to the end and have nothing to do. Think about longevity, people that want instant gratification will be gone within a week anyway.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:11 AM
typenamehere
Sarnak

Those are some great suggestions, most in-line with what I already planned on doing. I am actually seeking some assistance with this project as my vision is quite custom and in depth. If you are interested in perl coding/database editing and/or have some unique and creative ideas shoot me a pm and we will talk.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:14 AM
manella
Fire Beetle

Hello everyone

lots of good ideas in here !
now what if you add to this a single item with exagerated stats to help the soloers but with a REC level of 100 and a REQ level of 1 ?

the item would grow with the char, so the soloers could still solo and boxers could, well, destroy it or even better, trade it for packs of gears for their twinks
a single item could keep the fun of looting stuff having full gear from the start would be pointless (what a treasure hunt is worth if the chest is at your feet)

my 2 CP

and again, many thanks to all those spending so much time and resources to keep us playing our favorite game.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:59 AM
Davood
Discordant

i see your attempt at balancing items and i raise you a charm quest file.

you can literally do anything with that. want it to be based on quest you have repeated x amount of times? or the number of items in your inventory and or equipped that have a partial word match to "green", or the count of all prime numbers on the stats of your equipment?

no problem! just write some code and slap it together and you can have a unique item development situation.

There are already enough examples provided by PEQ to get you well on your way to writing magical charm scripts that are both delicious and nutritious