Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:53 PM
DoucLangur
Fire Beetle

Default Unsubscribe an account?

Hey everyone!

Let's say I made an eqemulator account (not this one) that I don't want anymore.

Is it possible to delete/unsubscribe with the newly created EQEmulator account so that the user will be gone from the boards? And that I can maybe use that email address again to register a new account in the future? I found no according option in the user CP...

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-04-2012, 03:47 PM
trevius
Developer

Nope, sorry:

http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31238
Old 01-04-2012, 04:04 PM
DoucLangur
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevius View Post
I think you misunderstood me - or I am missing the reference in that thread to my problem: I have read the first page of posts on that thread even before posting - but what I am trying to do is about the same as if someone registered an account with my email address unauthorized, and now I want this registration to be revoked - if only for anti-spam reasons, that should be possible...

Otherwise, what's to keep me from registering X accounts with email addresses of people I want to annoy, and then their email addresses will forever lurk in the EQEmulator DB? Since the account did not offer an option to delete / unsubscribe when I had not yet confirmed my email address...

So - I hope you misunderstood my question, and there is a way to delete your EQ Emulator *general* account (not the login-server accounts as mentioned in the thread you linked)...

And if not - would you consider creating a means to achieve this?

Thanks!
Old 01-04-2012, 04:06 PM
DoucLangur
Fire Beetle

I suppose I should have used the "delete activation" link :( But it only said "if you wish to stop receiving this email"... So I didn't think it'd accomplish what I wanted to...
Old 01-04-2012, 04:09 PM
DoucLangur
Fire Beetle

This maybe?
http://www.ehow.com/how_8757618_dele...n-account.html

Or that?

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=105181
Old 01-05-2012, 01:03 AM
trevius
Developer

I understood your request, but the answer is basically the same as in that thread. The only person I know for sure that could delete an account is Rogean. Some of the other admins (with red names) may be able to change your email address on that other account, but I am not even completely sure if they can do that. I know I can't, I can just view the information.

As far as you being able to register an email address that doesn't belong to you; that is completely possible. But we don't spam emails or anything, so unsubscribing to prevent spam is a non-issue. The only email you should get is the registration email. If we ever send out another email, it would probably be for something like a password reset issue, but that has only ever happened once to my knowledge. You could also get emails for subscribing to thread or getting PMs, but those are options you can enable/disable like any normal forums.

Even if you registered someone else's email address to accounts here, it would take them 5 minutes to create a new email address that they could just forward to their current one to get around that easily. Many people have 2 or more accounts registered on these forums, and use multiple email addresses for them.

If all you want to do is change your email address of your account, then you can go into your user CP and change it there. If you forgot the password to that account (which I am assuming you did), then you are out of luck. If we had password recovery (which is discussed in that thread I linked), then you could regain access to that account and change the email to whatever you wanted. Since we don't have password recovery and you don't have access to that account anymore (again, I am assuming here), then we have no way to verify that the account you are wanting deleted/unsubscribed or email changed on is actually yours.

As with any MMO, we have plenty of players that have grudges against other players and would try anything to cause them grief. I am not saying that is what you are doing, but there is no way for us to know either way 100%. If we changed or deleted an account that couldn't be 100% verified, then it could cause much more problems for the person who got their account changed than your simple email issue. You can create a new email address in 5 minutes, but some people have invested hundreds or thousands of hours into their accounts :P

Since we have custom code that ties the Login Server accounts to our forum accounts, I don't know offhand if it would cause issues by just deleting a forum account as you mentioned. I think only Rogean would know that for sure.

There are plenty of nice features like password resets and such that even I would love to see added here. Unfortunately, the only person with access to add new stuff like that is Rogean and he is much too busy with P99 to have much time to do anything here.

Last edited by trevius; 01-05-2012 at 01:12 AM..
Old 01-05-2012, 05:59 AM
DoucLangur
Fire Beetle

Thank you for your elaborate response, trevius. I can see that I need to disclose more information about the issue so you understand where I am getting at - however I will not do that publicly. I am sending you a PM now
Old 01-07-2012, 03:52 AM
liquest
"Special" Member

I must say this was quite the professional conversation, Dont see this quite often =D

Liquest Auctions, WTB AA's up to the current compatable clients PST with offer.

"A casual stroll through a lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." ~Fredrick Nietzsche

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.." ~Albert Einstein