Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:49 PM
Whoopee
Fire Beetle

Default SoF vs titanium

Whats the benefit to using the SoF client? Access to more zones, items, quest ect ect?

Or does using either of the two sets yield the same playable content?
Thank you
Old 09-12-2009, 10:24 PM
jimm0thy
Sarnak

Technically speaking there are only about 3 files that are specific to being able to play on the emu servers or not, so you can play with any box set or install.

However more to your question , I would have to think the difference would be nil. All of the quests and play content is held by the people running the servers, so the only benefits a different client would have would be bug fixes SOE put in to actual executable.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:27 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

they introduced just as many bugs in SoF as they fixed in T

In terms of sheer POTENTIAL content: SoF has 5 extra expansions worth of work, including zones, and graphic models for npcs and weapons, and new playable race.

Now whenever you will actually be able to see all that extra things is up to the server you will be playing up on, as SoF extra content DB is officially empty atm and wil be empty for a LONG TIME to come, untill Cavedude and his PEQ project catches up with it (think 2-3 years).

Storm Heaven is the only public server atm which just started using SoF zones - just 1 zone atm, and allows you to play the Drakin
Old 09-13-2009, 12:12 AM
trevius
Developer

Yeah, it all really depends on the server you are playing on. For the record, Storm Haven now has 2 fully playable SoF leveling zones (from level 1 to 40ish between the 2), and I will be starting the next one very soon. Our SoF zones are fully customized though and do not reflect what is on Live. ChaosSlayer is right that it will probably be a while before either of the official databases have any playable SoF zones, but if the packet collectors ever get running again, it should start filling in content pretty quickly.

I think there may be some other custom servers out their using SoF zones, but the majority of all playable content still remains in Titanium compatible zones. I do know that at least some servers are working on SoF content or have wanted to add it because some have PM'd me asking questions about it.

Even if you are playing on a server that doesn't have SoF content, there are still a few advantages over using the normal Titanium client. Here is a small list of features that SoF includes that Titanium does not:

1. 8 more bank slots for a total of 24 bank slots
2. Group member location markers on your in-game map (if you turn it on)
3. 60 page spell book (Titanium book is only 50 pages)
4. Better game lighting so you can actually see when playing human/barbarians/etc.
5. New Drakkin playable Race
6. 80 new zones
7. 250+ new weapon models
8. New Power Source Slot
9. Heroic Stats and Resists
10. Client handles level 70-75 properly, where Titanium skills do not show up correctly.
11. 600+ New Item Icons
12. 113 new NPC Races
13. 10 Character Slots at Character Select as apposed to 8 in Titanium
And more...

There are still a couple issues with the SoF client to bring it 100% up to the functionality of Titanium, but it isn't anything game-breaking. Here is the thread that tracks SoF development status to catch up with Titanium:

http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27429
Old 09-13-2009, 01:03 AM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

don't forget fixed AUG slot limit in SoF client

Also, Trev, about those new npc models. You know we have this pdf guidebook which has pictures of all ncp models up to GoD?
Since you are one of the people who works the most with SoF - feel like taking on making a new complete npc model guide?

Even from T, the guidebook still missing OoW, DoN and DoDH models + those 113 new models from SoF - this would be a nice to have. Just browsing the guidebook from time to time, gives me new ideas on scrips and content
Old 09-13-2009, 02:56 AM
trevius
Developer

The guidebook hasn't been updated in years and many parts of it are out of date, even though much of the information is still useful.

Personally, I am hoping that we can get MediaWiki setup on this host at some point to replace the current wakka wiki. If we do, maybe we can also enable pic uploads so we could then move the entire guidebook directly into the wiki with pics included. Mediawiki makes uploading pics fairly simple. I would much rather have info in a wiki format where anyone could update or correct it if/when needed instead of just putting everything all on a single person as that is quite a job.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:10 AM
Whoopee
Fire Beetle

Thanks for the helpful input everyone, now I just need to get the parts for my server. I just picked up the Titanium version for 60$ off ebay, where I coulda picked up SoF for 10$ on buy.com oh well, live and learn lol
Old 09-13-2009, 11:19 AM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

you may want to get that SoF for $10 anyway =)
and perhaps put the T back onto Ebay for 59.99 =)
Old 09-13-2009, 11:42 AM
Izzo
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosSlayerZ View Post
Also, Trev, about those new npc models. You know we have this pdf guidebook which has pictures of all ncp models up to GoD?
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/z...ml?mode=bycont

It's a bit cumbersome, but nearly every new model should have a screenshot somewhere on Allakhazam. A few of the better ones, in my opinion:

Griffins and harpies in Blackfeather Roost.
Giants in Valdeholm
Various undead giants in Frostcrypt (especially some of the raid models)
Arachnotron, Steamsuits and Minotaurs in Fortress Mechanotus.
Wereorcs and Worgs in Bloodmoon Keep.
Various human models and elementals in Katta Castrum
Genies and Sphinxes in Jewel of Attiki
Kedge models in Thallasius
Ghouls and wraiths from Hills of Shade
Big Bynn I from Tinmizer's Wunderwerks
Meldrath from Meldrath's Magnificent Mansion
Mining Behemoth from the Steam Factory
Wyverns, dragons and Kerafyrm from Crystallos
The Mech Guardian from Dragonscale Hills (it's a walking zoneline, pretty damn awesome!)
Various pirate models and sirens from The Buried Sea
Gnolls in Direwind Cliffs
Dyn'Leth in Ashengate North

Though I'm taking a really long view, I look forward to the day when SoD content is accessible for you guys. Not really many new "species" aside from the Vitrik (Discordian vulture-men), Nekhon (humongous balrog-like discordians), Gnarls (discord enhanced gnolls) and Sokokar (froglok/dragon hybrids), but the revamped models for these zones look excellent, especially the Pyrilen, Gelidran, Aneuk and, above all, the goblins, orcs, ogres and giants in Toskirakk who are fully girded for war and look AMAZING.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:53 AM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

oh its not just the screenshots
we need model numbers AND the texture file names for force loading.

I guess I could find out model numbers by just by just zoning into each zone and trying all the digits, but where does texture file names come from I do not know.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:23 AM
Davood
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
Whats the benefit to using the SoF client? Access to more zones, items, quest ect ect?

Or does using either of the two sets yield the same playable content?
Thank you
SoF has better graphics effects, and seems to display advanced lighting properly on my ATI radeon 512mb 3870 garbage card;

Also spells over level 70 requires SoF, and if the server is really heavily customized, the weapon and shield graphics available with SoF are pretty amazing, flowing lava swords, various glowing / sparkling toys.. etc
Old 09-14-2009, 07:28 AM
Izzo
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosSlayerZ View Post
oh its not just the screenshots
we need model numbers AND the texture file names for force loading.

I guess I could find out model numbers by just by just zoning into each zone and trying all the digits, but where does texture file names come from I do not know.
Can't help you there. Just have to go to zones and experiment. Odds are good that the model numbers are all above 350. The list I have access to only covers up to LoY. If I had access to a working version of the SoF client I'd be happy to puzzle out the ones beyond Titanium, but I don't, so I can't.

As far as I'm aware, however, SoF should have a larger number of global models, though I'm not sure which. I'd have to look at a time table and get back to you.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:43 AM
Izzo
Fire Beetle

After comparing a few release dates, I suspect the following may be global in the SoF client, due to the Legends of Norrath card game:

Chimera
Kirin
Snow Leopard
Shadow Panther
Pyrilen
Gelidran
Transparent Banshee (PoR)
Crystal Golem (LDoN)
Scrykin (PoR)
Emperor Draygun (DoDH)
TSS Dragons (as per the Nagafen familiar)
Bazu
Girplan
Lightning Warrior
Bixie (TSS, another awesome looking model I forgot to mention before)

There were also a variety of custom weapon models accessible only through the card game, but I'd assume they are available in the data somewhere. Specifically, the various Rallosian weapon ornamentations. Really nice looking graphics with a greenish, smoky aura about them.