Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:08 AM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

Default Curious about Haste items

Remember how on LIVE they had rather strange numbers for haste?
For example we had items with haste like:
-6% haste - Sporali Gloves?
-11% - Catfur Sash?
-16% - mmm something was in 16% slot - can't recal
-21%- Ornate Girdle from Veksar
-26% - Runebound Girdle?
-31% - Rune Bolster Belt
-36% - CLoak of Flames
-41% - Belt of the Destroyer

but NEVER they used any nice round number like 10, 20, 30.

Does anyone know if there was a reason behind this?
Old 06-03-2009, 01:12 AM
Dibalamin
Hill Giant

16% was the Sky Drop belts. You could also get 41% from the Sky quest belts.

And there was never a spoken/listed reason that I remember other than "we say so, damnit".
Old 06-03-2009, 01:55 AM
dubbtherogue
Fire Beetle

Hangman's Noose was 16% as well, I think? Been a looooooong time since I've seen one, though.

And there were 40% haste items. Ragebringer, etc.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:13 AM
gaeorn
Developer

I'd bet it was that Verant didn't know math well enough to come up with a even number.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:37 AM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubbtherogue View Post
Hangman's Noose was 16% as well, I think? Been a looooooong time since I've seen one, though.

And there were 40% haste items. Ragebringer, etc.
prety sure that things like Ragebringer and original Monk Epic Gloves were the only things with even 40% haste - 41% haste items did not existed then yet.
The first 41% come out from velious. I belive GoD had a 51% haste item when i left live

but otherwise with with later items the trend of going in 11-16-21-26-31 remained
Old 06-03-2009, 08:34 AM
Dibalamin
Hill Giant

Sky belts were available before Kunark came out, you just had to exploit like hell to get them (Think 100 people in Sky).

GOD had a 10% over haste item that stacked with all other worn & spell haste, as did Time.

The sporali gloves were added in Luclin I think and I think now there are some 46% haste items according to Lucy.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:54 PM
vales
Discordant

The reason why you see odd numbers for haste items is because in order for the haste to work, you have to be one level before the said haste percentage.

For example, if the Catfur Sash has 11% haste, you have to be level 10 in order for haste to kick in. For 21% on Ornate Girdle from Veksar, you have to be level 20, etc., etc.

I played a monk exclusively on live, and knowing all of this was second nature.

Also, the max haste is only taken into account with the higher haste item percentage. If you have both of the above haste items equipped, then you will only get benefit from the Girdle - but not until level 20. That's why you should wear the haste item you get the benefits from according to your level.

Bard haste songs and spells (shaman, enchanter) will overwrite each other depending on which is faster. So if you're bard is weaving Jonthan's Provocation (50% @ max level) and the enchanter is buffing you with Swift Like the Wind (60%), then there's really no point in the bard hasting. Have him twist a different song. I can't tell you how many times I've had to explain this to people I've grouped with.

Except for the Monk epic (which is essentially a bard song) and disciplines, none of the above will stack with any other class. That's why playing a Monk kicked much, much ass. Can't beat the 95% haste with combined items/epic/disc and spells.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:06 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

Oh I know about level restriction - be 35 for 36% haste

but quetsion is: where is 29% haste item? where is 42% haste item? where is 37% haste item? they all start at 6 and go up in +5s
Old 06-03-2009, 04:14 PM
AndMetal
Developer

Maybe it's because 0% doesn't really do anything and they didn't want to start at 5%?

My Contributions to the Wiki
Old 06-03-2009, 04:41 PM
trevius
Developer

Levels and the Percentages on haste items really have nothing to do with each other as far as I am aware. Basically, there is a cap setting of how much you can be hasted at any particular level. So, at level 20, maybe you can use 10 or 12% worn haste or so. If you are below the level to receive the full haste that the item gives, you still get the same amount of haste, it is just capped at whatever your level allows.

From what Vales is saying, if you had a cloak of flames and were below level 35, you would not receive any haste at all from it, which I don't believe to be true. Also, if what Vales is saying was true. the worn haste cap from items at level 85 would be 86%, which is also untrue. The haste cap is somewhere around 3/4th of your level (not exactly though). So, if you were level 75, the haste cap would be around 50%. I think the actual cap for a level 75 is more like 48%, but that is at least a close rough estimate. So, a level 10 probably has a haste cap somewhere around 7-8% from worn items. This doesn't count spell haste caps, though.

I also think bards get some overhaste spells that let you exceed the cap, but I never really read too much about that and it has been a while since I played live and grouped with a bard playing overhaste.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:18 PM
vales
Discordant

Here you go.

http://cloud.prohosting.com/~talone/...a.htm#examples

Level Haste Cap
30 50%
50 74%
54 84%
59 94%
60 100%

So going by your example and using the Cloak of Flames and the period I played EQ, it clearly stated that Level for Effect: 35. I'm sure they've changed a ton of stuff right now, and I'm sure I've most likely missed out on a handful of game updates, but it does seem like they did change the way haste is handled now in the game. After all, there are about 14 expansions since the release of EQ and I'm sure a lot has changed. Most of the items I see dropping now make me freakin laugh my ass off - it's surreal.

So yeah, you're right. The required level for a haste item does impact the percentage of haste you get until you meet the item requirements.

Do we even know how haste is implemented in the emulator? Is it how I initially thought or is it the latter?
Old 06-20-2009, 04:48 AM
Izzo
Fire Beetle

list of haste items

I suspect the 50% haste robe is a GM item of some sort and the majority of the 46% haste items appear to be from OoW/DoN raids. 45% haste items have become much more common on live servers. Group gear in the current expansion (Seeds of Destruction) starts at 37 then goes to 39, 41, 42 and tops off at the aforementioned 45%.

I'm not certain how v3 haste works on emu, but I do know that on live bard overhaste was capped at 25% (including lower level songs that were previously 30%).
Old 08-08-2009, 10:40 PM
Suladas Bardspeed
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by vales View Post
The reason why you see odd numbers for haste items is because in order for the haste to work, you have to be one level before the said haste percentage.

For example, if the Catfur Sash has 11% haste, you have to be level 10 in order for haste to kick in. For 21% on Ornate Girdle from Veksar, you have to be level 20, etc., etc.

I played a monk exclusively on live, and knowing all of this was second nature.

Also, the max haste is only taken into account with the higher haste item percentage. If you have both of the above haste items equipped, then you will only get benefit from the Girdle - but not until level 20. That's why you should wear the haste item you get the benefits from according to your level.

Bard haste songs and spells (shaman, enchanter) will overwrite each other depending on which is faster. So if you're bard is weaving Jonthan's Provocation (50% @ max level) and the enchanter is buffing you with Swift Like the Wind (60%), then there's really no point in the bard hasting. Have him twist a different song. I can't tell you how many times I've had to explain this to people I've grouped with.

Except for the Monk epic (which is essentially a bard song) and disciplines, none of the above will stack with any other class. That's why playing a Monk kicked much, much ass. Can't beat the 95% haste with combined items/epic/disc and spells.
Omg first post here.

I was a bard for 5 years on live. Bard songs that had haste OFTEN had +ATK & damage shield bonuses that stacked on with anything else in the game. So it was DEFINITELY worth it to twist in.

Also we had a 30% over haste cap song that would stack with any other haste to push you past cap. It was 65% from top chanter haste, rest of 35% from gear, then bard haste over cap. Chanter haste had over cap too, but it was only about 15% or something retarded lame like that.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:11 PM
demonstar55
Demi-God

who ever made the items clearly were math / physics / etc nerds that for whatever reason didn't like certain numbers, and others just followed them

Innoruuk in potimeb drops 45% haste shoulders
Old 08-09-2009, 12:43 AM
Rogean
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzo View Post
I'm not certain how v3 haste works on emu, but I do know that on live bard overhaste was capped at 25% (including lower level songs that were previously 30%).
I remember coding haste a few years ago to work like this, so unless someone has changed it it should still be the case.