Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Development

Development::Development Forum for development topics and for those interested in EQEMu development. (Not a support forum)

Old 08-28-2009, 02:17 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

Default Hotzones?

I have just read the update and says that hotzones now supported.
I understand that hotzone is simply a means of zone Xp boost.
I am not sure why special column had to be added, when to make an actual hotzone all you need is to alter XP modifier for the zone which is already there.
Unless I am missing something?
Old 08-28-2009, 02:43 PM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

This way you can add an XP bonus to a zone without changing its base multiplier. It's especially handy if you plan on toggling which zones are hotzones.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:56 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

ok i got it basically its a lazy man option =P
but if you guys doing that - why not add this one as well:

http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24648

Old 08-28-2009, 08:05 PM
Shadow-Wolf
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosSlayerZ View Post
ok i got it basically its a lazy man option =P
but if you guys doing that - why not add this one as well:

http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24648

Cause individual server devs could implement this easily using the player quest file or flags?
Old 08-29-2009, 02:51 AM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow-Wolf View Post
Cause individual server devs could implement this easily using the player quest file or flags?
I really would like to see an example of such script which can deny player XP on a kill....
Old 08-29-2009, 01:15 PM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosSlayerZ View Post
I really would like to see an example of such script which can deny player XP on a kill....
Probably wouldn't be too hard to do, but I see more problems than benefits. May not be that attractive either, since Exp plays a major role in Everquest.
When i used to play on live, I would play according to my situation, at first I played a Ranger, so when I was alone, I looked for blues and light blues to level on. When I could find my friends and we grouped, then we looked for a good challenge (usually reds that dropped nice things).

What we've done with AX Classic is flag "Classic" zones as trivial to anyone 50 and over. A level 50+ can still go there, but cannot fight any of the mobs. I like this because I want to keep Classic zones challenging and rewarding, but still play in some of those great zones like the LoY ones, without any temptation to exploit the Classics.
We also have the bots very keyed down, so as just to acquire them and some of their spells will be a challenge- And their's zones flagged as "no raid" , to avoid exploits with bot-raid groups.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:57 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelox View Post
Probably wouldn't be too hard to do, but I see more problems than benefits. May not be that attractive either, since Exp plays a major role in Everquest.
When i used to play on live, I would play according to my situation, at first I played a Ranger, so when I was alone, I looked for blues and light blues to level on. When I could find my friends and we grouped, then we looked for a good challenge (usually reds that dropped nice things).

What we've done with AX Classic is flag "Classic" zones as trivial to anyone 50 and over. A level 50+ can still go there, but cannot fight any of the mobs. I like this because I want to keep Classic zones challenging and rewarding, but still play in some of those great zones like the LoY ones, without any temptation to exploit the Classics.
We also have the bots very keyed down, so as just to acquire them and some of their spells will be a challenge- And their's zones flagged as "no raid" , to avoid exploits with bot-raid groups.
Could you elaborate on how you did that?
I suppose you running a script which check players level when it gets on mobs hate list and then- i don't know- kick them from the zone?

The thing is- I need an exact reverse - the mobs should be killable, but no XP awarded.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:43 PM
Shadow-Wolf
Dragon

One possibility would have, on the event of death, the mob go through its hate list and anyone who is above your level range is given negative experience based on eq's experience calculations to negate any experience they would gain. Not completely sure if it would work but it would be worth giving it a try.