Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 08-22-2015, 12:24 AM
Kravings
Fire Beetle

Default Revolution

Revolution--

Premise: The world has been torn since the fall of the Grand Republic. New factions have arisen, all trying to claim the land left behind by the republic. Which faction will you join and assist them with conquering the world?

This is a very different server from what you have seen before. Let me start off by explaining how I see this server going. It is going to be a very player driven world. All the actions made by players will shape the world and its future.

This server would rely heavily on player population and their ability to manage their faction and work as a team.

With all the being said this server is a RP, PVP, and PVE server.

- Role Playing: There are no NPC’s here besides the ones that will help you getting started with choosing a city. All things that would normally be controlled by NPC’s will now have to be done by players. Banking. (If you choose to do it.) Trading. (More to come on this later on.) Etc.

- Player vs. Player: Want to conquer the world? Then you will need to defeat other players to do it!

- Player vs. Environment: Not the PVP type? While you won’t be completely immune to PVP there is something for you as well. There are PVE zones that would allow you to kill and salvage things for supplies that are needed to craft better gear for your faction.

Moving on. Factions. At any given time there can be 4 different factions battling for control over the world. The starting factions will be as follows:
- Loyalist’s
- Militia
- Bishop’s Elite
- Rebel’s
Each of these factions is leaderless. If you are the first to join the faction, you do not automatically become leader. The leader is chosen by the players. They can only be elected by 5+ different players voting for them. If someone else is leader, you can band together with friends and plan to assassinate and overtake the faction. (More on this later.)

Currency and Economy. Since there are no NPC’s to trade with, the days of the “Virtual” currency are gone. Currency is now physical and each faction will have their own set of coins. The only thing that is remaining the same is the “Copper, Silver, Gold, Platinum” names. Your faction will be responsible for what the conversion rate is. For example, in EQ, 10 Copper = 1 Silver. If your leader wants 50 Copper to equal 1 Silver, so be it. Players can buy, sell, and trade items using this new in game currency method. Having a treasurer in your faction may or may not be a good idea.

Crafting. Since there are no NPC’s and you can’t just go buy your gear from an NPC’s, tradeskills are necessary. However, nothing needs to be classified as “Blacksmith Only” or “Tailor Only” everyone can craft everything. In fact, there will be 1 general crafting table in each town. However, if you do not practice crafting, then don’t be expect to be able to craft the best stuff and go right into battle. Tradeskills levels are the only that are really going to matter here. Become more experienced in crafting, and be able to craft better stuff!

Player vs. Environment. Long gone are the days where you have to fear a snake, bat, or a rat killing you. These are creatures that simply killed now by stepping on them. The only reason they are really here is for you to collect supplies from them. So, sharpen you pitchforks and go kill some creeps! With that being said, there needs to be some danger when doing combat in PVE. Even though you are able to kill a snake easily, what if the snake is poisonous and you get bitten by it? You might now be POISONED! Using snakes as an example. Not all snakes are poisonous, however, not all snakes have the same type of poison either. Some snake bites have the ability to slow your movement. Some have the ability to slowly kill you, and some can even quickly kill you. I will get more into poisons and diseases later.

Death. I am still in a debate with myself regarding death. On one hand I want death to be permanent. Once you die, your character is dead, and you must create a new one. Losing everything including your character’s name. I think this provides a sense of realism and the will to survive. On the other hand, should I allow character to be able to keep their name but lose their titles, ranks, coin, etc… One thing I am certain about is the fact that chances are, if you die, you will lose your stuff to the enemy that killed you.

Gear. Gear is created by the players, for the players. If you are able to get out into the wild and gather some supplies, you may attempt to craft it yourself, or sell it to your factions merchant/crafter. Starting out, you will have a Cloth Shirt, Cloth Pants, Shoes, and a Walking Stick. With these starting items you must find a way to survive.

Factions. As stated before, I would go into this again. Factions can be defeated. If all members of a faction are defeated, including the leader, the faction will be disbanded and a new leaderless faction will take its place. However, each faction is not safe from itself. In every country you hear about, someone is planning to kill someone in power, so they can have the spot. It’s human nature, what do people with power want? More power. So I have decided to allow this to happen. If you are a leader of a faction, it may be wise to hire some private security to protect you from these possible threats, and as a leader, it might be wise to treat your faction fairly, so you don’t have to keep looking over your shoulder.

Diseases and Poisons. This was a tricky thing to think about. I have made this a very important thing on this server. If you are either diseased or poisoned, if you wait, it doesn’t just go away. If you don’t find a cure for it, chances are, you are going to die. So it might be worth the trouble in finding ways to create cures with crafting! Although this is not a disease or a poison, it is very important that I mention this. Bleeding is real. In PVE and PVP combat, If you are hit by an enemy, there is a good chance you could start bleeding. Bleeding is real, you can die very quickly if it is not taken care of. However, I have made bandages fairly easy to come by. So take heed!

Spells and Magic. I know this is on everyone’s mind if you are still reading this to here. At this time, I do not plan to incorporate spells or magic. Items like bandages and vaccines/herbs used in healing might have clicky effects to stop diseases, but I don’t count that as magic. Like I said before. This is a very different attempt at a server.

Surviving. I don’t really have any advice for surviving as I have not tried to yet, although I am sure players will get the hang of it rather quickly. Remember this though, you do not start with food, and being hungry and thirsty can kill you as well.

*** If you have any questions regarding anything listed here, or would like me to go into further detail regarding any of these topics posted. Please, just ask. I am also open to suggestions, do you think you have an idea that would make any of these topics better? Post them too! I am curious to read people’s thoughts AND ideas.

Best regards,
Kravings
Old 08-22-2015, 12:31 AM
Kravings
Fire Beetle

This is what I see the world looking like. Rough design, just my current thoughts.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:54 AM
Kravings
Fire Beetle

No one has any thoughts, comments, ideas?
Old 08-22-2015, 12:18 PM
ghanja
Dragon

All too often, a comment such as mine that is about to follow, is taken with great offense, despite it being purely innocent:

Code:
People have come and gone with server ideas, descriptions, etc. posted on these here forums, though not nearly as many either last, or even see the light of day.
That's not to say critical/informational discussion cannot be had, mind you. It's just that, I believe a good number of us may be waiting to see what goes up first.

That being said. Essentially what you have is a Horde vs Alliance, times 2, with some little added flavor. Not sure I would go with four player factions, with populations the way they are, more so, because it would seem the economy will have huge dependence on population to boot.

I've offered the above up, only because you solicited it. In the end, time will tell.. and once it is up, I'll give it a go, as I do any other new server. Good luck in your venture.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:47 PM
Kravings
Fire Beetle

Well, thank you for your feedback Ghanja. I am looking forward to reading what people think, before taking on a task like this. As of right now, this is just an idea. If I get enough positive feedback regarding the project, I will undertake it. I do not want to take the time to create something like this, just to have no one play it.

I agree with you though, 4 does seem like too many, however, that was just a basic idea. Starting out, I imagine only 2 factions will be needed to start. If the population demands more, then they can be added.

When I thought of this idea. I was thinking along the lines of what I would like to play in the EverQuest engine. Something different, something unique.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:30 PM
Gregalimule
Fire Beetle

I honestly think a complete lack of faction npcs wont pan out very well. Possibly make the npcs spawnable thru the high end crafting skill but killable thru cross faction pvp. So if you lost your skills on death means you'd have to reraise crafting to regain the npcs. Maybe even having a tower defense element to the faction pvp areas to defend the npcs you've created. The concept intrigues me, and i would definitely give it a try regardless of the npc thing.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:45 PM
Kingly_Krab
Administrator

Sounds cool, as Ghanja mentioned though, population is a huge part of this whole idea. In our community, creating an idea based on you already having a population waiting doesn't seem to work out. That's why it's usually better to already have an idea done that is population-independent, that way 1 player could be on and still progress. Whereas some servers have uber content and require boxing to progress or at least grouping, sadly enough, grouping is damn near impossible without a population. I'd like to see this idea pan out in to more of an implementation than a thought, idea, or concept. At the point of conception, we could actually see what kind of drawing this will have. Not to be discouraging or to piss in your corn flakes, but a lot of servers do this exact thing and often disappear into the dark nether. Hopefully my feedback gives you something to work with. If you have any questions, just private message me through my signature. Thanks!
Old 08-22-2015, 05:16 PM
ak48
Sarnak

I would say at least use NPCs until you develop a following, then you may be able to phase them out eventually. I suggest having craftable and upgradeable guards to guard your city while you're offline. They may start as simple militia men, with staves and scythes but then eventually evolve into some guards with plated armor, steel weapons, etc. If you want to go the crafted route, it may make sense to make the guards some kind of mechanical NPCs where you can upgrade their offense and defense systems.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:36 PM
Kravings
Fire Beetle

The thought about NPC guards did cross my mind. That way players could focus more on the crafting/pvp aspect rather than protecting their faction. I also thought about making the leader of the faction a NPC and that you would have to protect him.

With that being said, I wanted to attempt to shift away from NPC's and have a player driven world, but it does come back to the issue of having the population to do this type of server.

I will put more thought into this. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:13 AM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

Dark age of Camelot did this with keep guards/Lords.

Tits idea man.

Old 08-25-2015, 11:24 AM
phorest
Sarnak

Is there any way you can set some npcs to despawn when the player population hits x number. Then more despawn at higher x number etc. So your world will evolve and devolve with player population ?
Old 08-26-2015, 04:09 PM
Kravings
Fire Beetle

That is a fantastic question. I hadn't thought about that honestly.

If anyone can tell me if this is even possible, that would be fantastic!

Thanks!

Kravings
Old 08-26-2015, 06:02 PM
Furniture
Hill Giant

Definitely possible with qglobals and a perl script
Old 08-26-2015, 07:50 PM
ak48
Sarnak

You would probably want to do it by how many are on per faction.