Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > OpenZone > OpenZone::Tutorials

OpenZone::Tutorials OZ, up to date Tutorials section

Old 03-02-2006, 01:34 PM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

Default How to make custom handheld item models (weapons, shields, etc.)

This tutorial assumes that you're using an external program to make weapon models and want to use OpenZone to export them. With this method, you can export just about anything: weapons, shields, handheld mugs, PoK books, player houses, or anything else you can imagine. The tutorial is written assuming that you're exporting a weapon and that you're using OpenZone 6.6.

To make weapon models this way, you need to take the following steps:

1. Make sure that your model has the (0,0,0) origin point where it will be held.

2. Make sure that your weapon is oriented so that the outward direction (away from the person holding it) is along the X axis, and that the Z axis is the up direction.

3. Export your weapon/shield/wand/etc. model to a .3DS file (version 3 if your program asks).

4. Put all of the textures your model uses into OpenZone's /library/textures subfolder.

5. Start OpenZone and leave it at an empty zone.

6. In OpenZone, click File...Import...3D Studio MAX (.3DS) into the mesh library. It's critical to import directly into the mesh library like this since it will preserve the (0,0,0) origin point. When prompted for a mesh name, put in a name that your item database will use, e.g. IT1000, IT1001, etc.

7. Click File...Properties.

8. In the zone properties popup, where it says "Extra included meshes", select the weapon models you imported and click "Add". Once you have added all of the models that you want to export to your file, click Ok.

9. Click File...Export...Export zone objects to .S3D. You will be prompted for a name to enter: you should enter the name WITHOUT THE EXTENSION, e.g. "gequip8" (without the double quotes, of course). The models will all be exported.

10. This would be a good time to save your empty zone with File...Save, since it will also save the list of models you added. This way if you want to add another model and re-export, you won't have to add everything all over again.

Last edited by Windcatcher; 03-02-2006 at 09:39 PM..
Old 03-02-2006, 11:40 PM
Belfedia
Demi-God

Just a little question
This models are global ?
If right that is wonderfull
http://eqfroggy.new.fr : Froggy French Server Website.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:35 AM
Scorpious2k
Demi-God

Yes, they are global if you follow the 2 rules. It has to go into a gequip file (gequip8 for example) that will replace the existing one AND it has to be named IT#### (IT followed by a number).

You should be aware that you are replacing the gequip file and all models in it will be lost. The IT number you choose should be unique and not used elsewhere.

I think I need to talk to Windcatcher. I have had an added step. I have renamed the gequip#_chr.s3d file to gequip#.s3d and used s3dspy to rename the wld file in the s3d to gequip#.wld.

I've found another use for this process too. I've created objects.

In the tower in the manhattan zone there is a "treasury" level with treasure chests and a safe. I thought it would be fun to have coins laying on the floor. So I created a coin model, used it on 5 different items and used ground spawns to randomly place them on the floor. 150 of them! Each coin type has a dufferent value and there are more of the less valued ones and fewer of the valuable ones. Since they are named the same and use the same model, players will be running around picking them up, not knowing the value until they reach a merchant to sell them to.

I've also created piles of dirt, which I think would go nicely in the juno zone. Get one of them and water, combine in a gold pan container and you have gold panning tradeskill! Nazareth, on the Dark Realms server, loved the idea and was thinking it could be used to get other metals or gems. I made some gem models too. As far as I know, no one has used the ground spawn feature of the server like this.

There are a lot of possibilities. Easter egg hunt anyone?
Old 03-03-2006, 01:32 AM
Belfedia
Demi-God

Nice feature !!!
I use groundspawn also on my server but if i can use custom groundspawn that will be marvelous
http://eqfroggy.new.fr : Froggy French Server Website.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:44 AM
Ghost Fire
Sarnak

Wow! Thats some really good ideas Hey Scorpious2k would you mind posting a screenshot of all the coins on the floor? 150 ummm thats a lot of coins! :P I was wondering what that would look like in game.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:40 AM
Scorpious2k
Demi-God

The 150 coins are spread out over three large rooms and a hallway.... plus, they are small... and purple. The idea was to make it so the players have to look around. In these pictures, you'll notice coins even end up on top of things in the room.

Old 03-03-2006, 11:08 AM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

Scorp: I'll try to touch base with you tonight -- I think you're doing it the hard way . If you click "File...Export...Export zone objects to .S3D" (not the normal export option) you shouldn't have to do the rename with S3DSpy. This export option only exports the objects, and only to the name you give it. I made it specifically to make exporting objects like weapons easier.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:04 PM
Scorpious2k
Demi-God

Just found it, and you're right.

But you did hide it on the bottom....
Old 05-23-2009, 12:32 AM
drakelord
Hill Giant

Tested this out today, and it doesn't work with the newest version of 3DStudio .3ds files sadly. On trying to export zone objects, I get the following error:

Address Violation at address xxxxxxx in module 'kernel32.dll'. Read of address xxxxxx.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:04 PM
Auxie
Fire Beetle

does anyone still watch this thread? i'm having issues with overwriting models in the gequip files just to make sure everything imports to the game correctly. I make a new gequip.s3d with a new 1hb mesh that overwrites the IT112 mesh and double check that it is shown in DZoneconverter the same way as it is in the official gequip, but when I load it with everquest, nothing shows up.

Help?