Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 03-17-2020, 01:21 AM
hinanar
Fire Beetle

Default Docs + Installer Need Updates To Avoid Login Server Confusions

I'd like to mention for anyone trying to setup a private login server for public use and getting 1017 error after selecting a server on their own login server but can use the public login server fine.

The startup script doesn't properly detect the ip addresses about 90% of the time Ubuntu 18.04 LTS setup on startup. The solution to this has been left completely out of the documentation. Doesn't even list it as an option.

In your eqemu_config.json in the world section, you need to add two top level config items.

Code:
      "world" : {

"address" : "XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX",
         "localaddress" : "YYY.YYY.YYY.YYY",

"http" : {
XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX -->
  • Should generally be your public WAN address. The address you see if you goto a what is my ipv4 address website. (Can easily get this IP address on any linux distro by typing in 'curl http://ip4.hosttools.xyz/iponly/')
  • If you don't want it publically accessible and only want people on the network at your location to connect. Set this to the machines ip address on the network. (Generally in either 192.168.XXX.XXX or 10.XXX.XXX.XXX ranges)

YYY.YYY.YYY.YYY -->
  • If you connect to your server remotely (It's hosted in a data center, or you want other people to connect) this should be 127.0.0.1. This is the best choice for most uses. If you don't know. Try it first.
  • If you connect locally (The server is in your house on the same router as your PC and its just for people in your house), this should be the LAN ip you use to connect to that device internally.

You can diagnose this ip detection issue but opening dbg.txt in your EverQuest Logs directory after getting a 1017 error and near the end it'll say something about failed to authenticate with world server :9000. There should be an ip before that :9000.

Took me two days of Google and finding nothing then reading source code to figure this out. The options aren't in the documentation anywhere for the new json config style. Was only tipped off to search for them in the code by seeing so many old configs with the options commented out in the xml version. Hopefully once this post hits Google it'll save one of you poor souls some time in the future

If the docs are in a git or something I'd be happy to update them and submit a pull or merge request.
Old 07-10-2020, 10:34 AM
nocd1
Fire Beetle

Adding to this, since Google and the documentation still haven't been updated.

Make sure you also open your firewall for port 9000 tcp/udp. This is not listed in the documentation either and was a point of failure for me as well. I didn't put two and two together for over 12 hours...
Old 07-17-2021, 01:02 AM
ZombieSoul
Sarnak

Wow, thanks for this, I just spent hours trying to figure out why public server would work but not a private server with the new json files. This fixed it instantly. and worth a necro
Old 03-05-2024, 10:49 PM
yz125
Sarnak

^ This

This is what connected my public server properly.

Instant fix.

Big necro.