Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Linux Servers

Support::Linux Servers Support forum for Linux EQEMu users.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:56 PM
thepoetwarrior
Discordant

Question Host 2 Servers

How would I go about hosting 2 servers on Debian Linux? Or from a different PC on the same network? Would I need to set different ports?
Old 01-27-2010, 08:06 PM
jkennedy
Hill Giant

if ur using a different pc on the same network you would have to open the ports for its ip like 192.168.2.1 for example is first pc then 192.168.2.2 would be second u need to go into ur router options and open ports for the second just as u did for first
Old 01-27-2010, 08:31 PM
pfyon
Discordant

I'm assuming you're talking about two different servers on your network, being accessible from the outside.

In this case, I think you'd need a router that can forward ports based off hostname. Not sure if these exist, otherwise you could probably build your own using a linux variant, but that would mean another computer. I suppose you could run the two servers on the same machine if it had two IP addresses.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:47 PM
trevius
Developer

Well, running 2 servers on the same LAN is not easily possible as far as I know. You can set the config files to use different port ranges for the zones to launch, but the LS (and maybe client) mandates that you use port 9000 for getting through the LS (I think). Since you can only port forward port 9000 to 1 PC at a time, I wouldn't know how to allow players to connect to the second server (that doesn't have port 9000 forwarded to it).

If you are wanting to make a test server for development/testing purposes though, that is another thing. You can set your test server up (I have one using this setup) without having to forward port 9000 to it from your router, so your main server can use port 9000. The downside to not having port 9000 forwarded to the test server is that connections can only be made to it if they are running from your own LAN (behind your router), so they don't use port forwarding at all. This lets me use my test server to play with new ideas or changes.

It would be cool if there was a way to run 2 servers from the same LAN, though. I have never tried it, but maybe installing a second install of the server on your Linux server (same PC as your primary play server is running on). I think you would just need to set it to use different zone ports than your primary server does, and install it to another folder, and make a new database for it. Then, you might be able to run 2 instances on the same PC. Though, I dunno how the LS and clients would handle knowing which server they were supposed to be speaking with.

When zone instancing was first being created, I thought up an idea about having an entire instanced world/server, but I can't remember the details of how it would work. I think it would be something like having them log into your normal server and then giving them the option to move their character permanently to the instanced world. If the instanced world could be loaded from another whole database, I think you could potentially run 2 (or more) completely different servers from within the same server connection.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:05 AM
thepoetwarrior
Discordant

Thanks Trevius, most of what you said is what I figured and happy you verified it. Yeah, not an easy task, and I just make an offline version for testing purposes. I wanted to play with a current version of PEQ for SoF without shutting down my main server. And provide a way of testing edits on my main server as well without having to interrupt the users with multiple reboots in a day. Thanks again!
Old 02-12-2010, 02:17 AM
OscarGrouch05
Sarnak

sure love the old tool's left around on the bench 80)
not sure if this will help you but worth a try still works for me.

(And then updated by Doodman for 0.6.2 on 9/7/2005)

To start you will need to execute the following mysql queries:

INSERT INTO variables (varname, value, information) VALUES ('LoginType', 'Minilogin', 'Set this to Minilogin to login using a minilogin server ');

alter table account add minilogin_ip varchar(32) not null;

Note: The following examples assume you want to use minilogin to play on the account named edgar1898 and you will be logging into it from the same computer your running minilogin on.

If you want to login with an existing account:
1. Put the ip address of the computer your using to login in the minilogin_ip field of the users account you wish to play.

The SQL code for this is:

update account set minilogin_ip='127.0.0.1' where name='edgar1898';

If you want to create a new account and login with it:

1. Insert the new account into the database. (This example also assumes you wish to give the user access to all commands on the server, change the 250 to another level if you dont)

The SQL code for this is:

insert into account (name,status, minilogin_ip) values('edgar1898',250,'127.0.0.1');

*Hint* Whenever the user connects to minilogin, it will display their ip in the console window, that IP must match the ip you put in the account table. Whenever your doing one of the above steps make sure the ip addresses are the same!

1. Once you have done MiniLogin and change your eqhost.txt file to 127.0.0.1:5999

2. Open your server's LoginServer.ini file and change the loginserver and loginport as follows:
loginserver=127.0.0.1
loginport=5999

Thats it! You should be able to login and play normally!

If your world doesnt display something like "Connected to LoginServer: 127.0.0.1:5999" and it does not show up in the server list, make sure your LoginServer.ini file for your server and for MiniLogin (you can use the same on if the server and minilogin is in the same directory) looks similiar to this:

[LoginServer]
loginserver=127.0.0.1
loginserver2=newlogin1.eqemulator.net
loginport=5999
loginport2=5999
worldname=Name of server here
worldaddress=Your IP Address here
locked=false
account=
password=

[WorldServer]
Defaultstatus=
Unavailzone=

[ChatChannelServer]
worldshortname=
chataddress=
chatport=

[LoginConfig]
ServerMode=MiniLogin
ServerPort=5999
Old 04-29-2010, 10:06 AM
kameko
Sarnak

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't you just have 1 login server
and then 2 game servers using the same login server ?
Old 04-29-2010, 11:12 AM
gaeorn
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kameko View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't you just have 1 login server
and then 2 game servers using the same login server ?
As long as they have distinct public IP addresses, yes you can set up two public game servers using the same login server. However, most people only have one public IP so they can only have one public game server available.

The limitation is in the client, which forces port 9000 for the initial connection to the game server. You can only have one game server on port 9000 on a specific IP address.

You could run more than one local game server using internal IP addresses, but typically you could only have one of those available to the internet in general by mapping one to port 9000 on the public IP address assigned to your DSL/cable connection.