Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:30 AM
AdmiralNaismith
Fire Beetle

Default so close to being done - quests don't work

I am so close to being done I can taste it. I have EqEmu up and running on a Windows 7 64 bit system, lan connections work using SoD/Underfoot, external connections work using SoD/Underfoot and Windows Vista.

Quests don't work, and NPCs don't respond to hails.

Obviously the culprit is Perl. I get no error messages on server startup. When I log into PoK or TutorialB the logs show:

[11.12. - 09:11:09] WARNING: error compiling quest file quests/poknowledge/Drelynn_Beaufax.pl: Perl runtime error: Undefined subroutine &main::eval_file called.
(reverting to default questfile)
[11.12. - 09:11:09] WARNING: error compiling quest file quests/poknowledge/Grand_Librarian_Maelin.pl: Perl runtime error: Undefined subroutine &main::eval_file called.
[11.12. - 09:11:09] WARNING: error compiling quest file quests/poknowledge/Tratlan_Jowyr.pl: Perl runtime error: Undefined subroutine &main::eval_file called.
[11.12. - 09:11:09] WARNING: error compiling quest file quests/poknowledge/Onirelin_Gali.pl: Perl runtime error: Undefined subroutine &main::eval_file called.
[11.12. - 09:11:09] WARNING: error compiling quest file quests/poknowledge/Phantasmist_Salkith.pl: Perl runtime error: Undefined subroutine &main::eval_file called.

Here's what I've tried:

- ActivePerl 5.10 and 5.12 (uninstall/reboot between versions)
- installed DBI, DBD-mysql and io-stringy using PPM
- using latest version of quests from SVN
- using latest version of maps from SVN
- plugins are in the eqemu\plugins directory
- installed and registered perl58.dll in the EqEmu folder (just in case!)
- verified that my windows/system32 folder didn't have any perl dll files
- I have administrator privileges on my user account

After extensive google searches I'm running out of ideas. Any thoughts?
Old 11-12-2011, 12:56 PM
Noport
Opcode Ninja

Sounds like you missed a step in the setup to copy C:\MySQL\bin\libmySQL.dll too C:\Eqemu Directory.

Perl Files like example perl58.dll belong in C:\Perl\bin\ Directory Not in Eqemu Directory.

When installing on a 64Bit system it's noted in setup to make sure you use 32BiT softwear!
an runtime error is telling me it's missing perl.exe, perl5.10.1.exe, and perl510.dll
Goto C:\Perl\Bin\ Right click on files goto properties next click compatibility too
give administrator privileges click apply.

Done.

Just a Note: I'm using ActivePerl 5.10
Old 11-12-2011, 01:11 PM
AdmiralNaismith
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noport View Post
Sounds like you missed a step in the setup to copy C:\MySQL\bin\libmySQL.dll too C:\Eqemu Directory.

Perl Files like example perl58.dll belong in C:\Perl\bin\ Directory Not in Eqemu Directory.

Just a Note: I'm using ActivePerl 5.10
I put perl58.dll into the EqEmu directory because somewhere in my research I read that could be the cause of quest errors. There's actually a sticky in this forum about the file. Didn't work, but I figured it was worth a shot.

I copied the libmysql.dll file to the EqEmu directory, registered it and rebooted the server. I got the same error messages, and NPCs don't respond to hails. Strangely enough, I can hail a mob from halfway across the zone if I have him targeted. That's not how it worked the last time I set up a server.

This is really bugging me because there's a lot of things that can go wrong in a server setup, but Perl and the quests are usually pretty simple to get working.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:26 PM
game
Fire Beetle

Sounds like you may need to recompile,
I had the same issue with one of my servers and after recompiling from the ground up everything worked, in my excitement I likely skipped something important.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:43 AM
AdmiralNaismith
Fire Beetle

Smile

Both game and Noport were absolutely right: I missed a step. At the bottom of the server guide I missed the following line:
You will also need to copy the two DLL files that you downloaded earlier into your C:\Windows\System32\ directory if you do not have Everquest Titanium Installed.
The last time I set up a server I had Titanium installed so I didn't need to do it. This time I'm running Underfoot and forgot about the dlls completely. I copied them to System32 and guess what, everything worked perfectly. Funny what happens when you actually follow the directions.

Underfoot - still getting unknown opcode errors, but it connects and doesn't crash
Quests - working perfectly
Items - loading properly
LAN connections - working perfectly with Windows 7 64-bit
External connections - working perfectly (Hamachi Login is awesome)

I still have a handful of tweaks to make -- like why GM accounts get a Respawn window when they die -- but overall the server is UP AND RUNNING!

Thanks guys
Old 11-20-2011, 01:04 AM
sorvani
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralNaismith View Post
like why GM accounts get a Respawn window when they die
That is an optional rule in the rules table. It was turned on on PEQ for a while but was buggy still and disabled again.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:37 AM
AdmiralNaismith
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorvani View Post
That is an optional rule in the rules table. It was turned on on PEQ for a while but was buggy still and disabled again.
Aha, Character:RespawnFromHover. It appears to be turned on by default in the latest Rev. I agree with you about it being buggy. I had reports of players being unable to click on it, leaving them to Ctrl-Alt-Del to close down Everquest.