Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 03-24-2018, 03:22 PM
Tegila
Hill Giant

Question Create Drakkin How?

New to the emu aspect- I've tried a few servers so far trying to make my character to start, and none of the ones I expected to be able to use drakkin, would let me make a drakkin.

Is this because of server settings? (EZServer was one of them, and I was sure that one would use most or all RoF)

Or, is it because of the way I did my install? I CAN do RoF2 install, but my isp is dialupspeed so downloads suck bad. I did the titanium install then copied all my EQLive files that were missing into the gaps (skip all repeats) Doing it this way, did I not get the files for Drakkin, or am I just not looking on the right servers? I also tried Raid Addicts, can't remember the 3rd server's name but none had drakkin available.

Thanks
Old 03-24-2018, 04:43 PM
Kingly_Krab
Administrator

If you're using Titanium, you can't use Drakkins.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:10 PM
Tegila
Hill Giant

i get that, but im not just using titanium, following setup instructions in one of the linked pages in a sticky, i took eqlive modern gamefiles and copied them to the folder, skippign duplicates, to fill in gaps. Maybe that only works for getting old zones to UF/RoF, but I would think it would add the drakkin files as well. idk

Anyway, since drakkin werent even introduced til TSS, thus lvl 70+ I thought maybe it was just the servers as none say what expac theyre actually making available, just level (and then not all say that) If a server uses RoF client by default, but their cap is 70, does that mean it is basically tss? or all zones open but cant go past 70? just for instance. I dont want such a low level cap, but most links to pages are dead, and the ones that arent don't answer the questions of: What is legit, vs not really mean. i see servers that say legit AND customized and all kinds of things i'd think meant not legit. Then i see servers using rof but dont have levels anywhere near that to need it, SoF would suffice easy. Have extremely slow internet so logging into every server to find out what isnt actually stated on their listings or even their websites, isnt really feasible.

Will mess around more and use rof if i have to. Im sure the questions sound dumb to anyone thats played on here more than a week or 2, but the answers aren't really written in black and white to be searched up, or they were and the links are broken lol

Difference between using titanium plus my eqlive files, and using rof2, is a 4 hours download after midnight, or a download during normal human hours that simply wouldnt finish until hitting that aftermidnight time anyway (i only get about 20MB an hour 5a-12a) , thus the dilemma.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:45 PM
Kingly_Krab
Administrator

Titanium is hard-coded to not have Drakkins. If you're using Titanium your modifications are highly limited.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:13 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegila View Post
i get that, but im not just using titanium, following setup instructions in one of the linked pages in a sticky, i took eqlive modern gamefiles and copied them to the folder, skippign duplicates, to fill in gaps. Maybe that only works for getting old zones to UF/RoF, but I would think it would add the drakkin files as well. idk

Anyway, since drakkin werent even introduced til TSS, thus lvl 70+ I thought maybe it was just the servers as none say what expac theyre actually making available, just level (and then not all say that) If a server uses RoF client by default, but their cap is 70, does that mean it is basically tss? or all zones open but cant go past 70? just for instance. I dont want such a low level cap, but most links to pages are dead, and the ones that arent don't answer the questions of: What is legit, vs not really mean. i see servers that say legit AND customized and all kinds of things i'd think meant not legit. Then i see servers using rof but dont have levels anywhere near that to need it, SoF would suffice easy. Have extremely slow internet so logging into every server to find out what isnt actually stated on their listings or even their websites, isnt really feasible.

Will mess around more and use rof if i have to. Im sure the questions sound dumb to anyone thats played on here more than a week or 2, but the answers aren't really written in black and white to be searched up, or they were and the links are broken lol

Difference between using titanium plus my eqlive files, and using rof2, is a 4 hours download after midnight, or a download during normal human hours that simply wouldnt finish until hitting that aftermidnight time anyway (i only get about 20MB an hour 5a-12a) , thus the dilemma.
To answer few of your questions

Custom - means server has non original content - either added extra things or modified the original (these could include items, spawns, drop rates, difficulty of mobs etc)
Legit vs Non Legit - means whenever server always "cheat codes" such instant zoning, or be able to give yourself any items etc.

Also FULL expansions content is ONLY exists up to GoD - therefor servers usually only mention if they cap content BEFORE that point. Any server that claims to use later expansions - use them for custom content only since no one ever made the original content.

P99 is both Legit and Original.
Most other servers are Custom Legit.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:22 PM
Tegila
Hill Giant

Thanks Krab and Chaos. Chaos answered some questions I was still wondering after finding an archived post explaining at least the basic server descriptions. I wasnt aware that GoD is still as far as is coded for, but if that's just what's fully coded, while a good portion of newer ones is done then that's kinda different. I knew people had talked about entering zones well past GoD, so I had assumed like a lot of things I've found stickied or linked to stickies, that it was no longer applicable.

That said, GoD is last FULL expac done, but how new do partials go? i mean where there're some zones etc avail not just the level/aa/spells, or do all the zones stop at GoD? I thought I saw people talking about zoning into some TSS and SoF zones and (I may be senile) even UF and HoT ones somehwere.

Just trying to figure how much custom content I'm going ot have to figure out/acquire to do much past 75 when I get my own server up, as my enjoyments never really been in the lower levels as much as playign with ways to powerlevel to working levels and THEN enjoying the game. I have 3-4 other people to teach the game to so that won't be right away except in my own time, but it'd be useful to plan around if i knew ahead of time

is there a list somewhere of what is and isnt done in the post-GoD era? I did have a lot of enjoyment in the OoW and GoD expacs despite their age when I started the game, but that's kinda my starting funstuff for farming, soloing, twinking, whatever. Should I just plan on sticking to level 80 or below if I don't really want to use custom content? Or is there at least some portions of the 85+game available to use. I'd be happy in 85-90 range, can live with 80 if needed, but 75 is only fun for a little while for me. I don't need everything, just hoping there's something here and there for the range is all 80-85 content can keep me happy at 90 for that matter, just my addiction to the game didnt start til i was near 80, so my nostalgia starts with the stuff I played in at that time.

Thanks for hte answers guys, if anyone can point me to a listing of what is and isn't around (zone/gear/mob type lists) in the server files somewhere it'd be great. Would just be exploring it myself but I'm on my 4th pc/os install attempt of server with no success yet :/ tried on 10, 2 diff 7 accounts, still trying in VM, and thinking of dual-booting one of my machines to try that lol. Sometimes luck just isnt on my side...I spent the last 2 months trying to get my media server working right..or staying that way...and it's still awaiting diagnosis, so this isn't really surprising lol.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:58 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

The PEQ server team (specifically Cavedude) is the lead on building the original DB, which in turn based HEAVILY on data submissions from data collectors, which has been few in the past 10 years. No data - no DB.
The items Db most likely also covers things well past GoD, but I am not sure.
The zones are there if you have right client and you can zone anywhere you like - but they will be empty - no mobs, no scripts, no loot tables.

If you looking for actual "replay EQ" experience, then P99 covers the Classical age up to Velious, PEQ and bunch of clone servers are up to GoD, and the rest are on custom content using random zones from all over. Most, if any, content past level 70 is custom made and has practically no relation to original 70+ content (see The Hidden Forest or StormHaven for example).
In short - no one really cares for original 70+ content, because, again, 99.9% of people here quit in 2004, and mostly interested in the Classical era
Old 03-25-2018, 11:00 PM
Tegila
Hill Giant

i get that. there have been various big exodus' a few times since i started (and that was post TSS) and many because of loss of older feel etc. the item DB i didnt think was a difficulty since every item ever seen on live is catalogued via eqitem collector by people and dumped on allah, but maybe there's more data needed than that idk.

if the zones are present, i can deal with that and populate them, just might not be the "right" mobs/drops lol. I can't really recreate the zones themselves though (i will play around with making my own though, big thing I liked about Housing, which i stil ldon't know if it's even remotely available, i think hosting ones own server is like a giant version anyway)

Recreating mobs and drops in a zone from memory for just yourself and a few housemates isnt so bad though. Selective memory can be a good thing if not trying to please masses, skip the stuff that was annoying, put in more of what wasnt, or some close approximation thereof. i'll figure it out, jsut gotta get server installed.

Thanks much, the existence of the zones is my biggest issue, so that's good. I got the full rof2 client installed and working now, and thats what i'll be building on server. All the things that are missing, are the things I remember most in the game, and those that arent missing, i often remember the least so it works out. Did a ton in some parts of PoP, Luclin, DoN and LDoN, but i wouldnt remember nearly as many specifics about them to be able to populate, and I wouldnt want to try to repopulate my oldest memories-the last few expacs that are complete. It'll all work out just fine i think, and I can always get on Live to refresh memories..just cant play with a 1000ms ping lol, thus the LAN hosting goal.

Thank you much for the info will do some playing in one of the OoW or GoD era servers for now i think, or just stay where i am and gather ideas otherwise. But I'm looking forward to getting mine up and running soon. If I ever get a better ISP (one that doesnt go to space and back or drop to 56k 3 weeks a month) I may decide to open it up public, but will be fully built by then, cable company is planning on 2 years from now haha.

other than running a server being its own sandbox, do you know if any of the housing stuff, other than the naked zones (sunrise hills) is up? its not really content, only some npc merchants really but lotta items, and of course the building codes, so i guess it could go either way. much newer part of the game, but if PoK and Guild Lobby are fully functional it's possible (is it? i havent even checked lol) Thanks again. gonna try install again and play some while i wait